Religion The CHEESE WARS! Carringbush2010 hears a who!

On a scale of 1 to Carringbush2010, how deeply are you affected by Cheer's name change?

Votes: 7 50.0%

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Carringbush2010

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Questions for bourbons Chief Ghost Patrol

Would you agree it is overly sensitive to take offence to someone's name? Would you view someone who takes offence to someone's name, who consciously knows it is someone's name, and that name is not intended to be offensive, as either overly sensitive or just someone who wants to take offence in bad faith or both?

I think this person is and really this is all my position is, and I think they're fair and reasonable questions, if you disagree, try and deflect, then I'll truly know what your positions are.

Try to be honest as possible.

The simple fact that its not the same word, spelling or pronunciation in the case of the nation but it was in the case of the cheese makes this assertion patently false.

You're in orbit :drunk:
And yet someone somewhere will take offence to a nations name, and that is just as irrational as taking offence to someone's name.

That does not equate to me 'being in orbit', nice try at the discredit though.

It's someone's name, do you find people who take offence to someone's name overly sensitive?

Try not to deflect this time.
No. Never ever. Not once. Ever ever ever. Except where bovine lactations are involved.

Would you agree it is overly sensitive to take offence to someone's name? Would you view someone who takes offence to someone's name, who consciously knows it is someone's name, and that name is not intended to be offensive, as either overly sensitive or just someone who wants to take offence in bad faith or both?

I think this person is and really this is all my position is, and I think they're fair and reasonable questions, if you disagree, try and deflect, then I'll truly know what your positions are.

People and businesses change their names all the time, for a variety of reasons.

Why are you trying to restrict their options? Why are you berating a business for changing a name?

Me? Yep I'd think its overly sensitive.

I'm a white guy though, and generally not in the business of telling other people with vastly different experiences what they're allowed to take issue with.

Its not even the same word :tearsofjoy:
It’s not, but the country has the exact same “giggling dickheads” factor coined by Chief if not worse. In the same way, you could go up to a group of black people holding an atlas and ask, with a sh*t eating grin, “hey guys what do you think of THIS country? Eh? Eh?” and you won’t get a great response.

Let me put it this way. If it was Niger Cheese and people complained would you sympathise with them, or dismiss their complaints as illegitimate?

And yet someone somewhere will take offence to a nations name, and that is just as irrational as taking offence to someone's name.

That does not equate to me 'being in orbit', nice try at the discredit though.
john-hamm-sure.gif

Sure they will, mate. Be sure and let us know when you find one :tearsofjoy:

Gonna have a crack at explaining why that would be just as irrational considering its a different word with different spelling and pronunciation at any stage?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s the same scenario. Just a bit harder to um… change the name of a country.
Yeah and when will they change the name of that other word which is basically the N word with letters in a different order?

If the people of Niger autonomously decided that they wanted the name of their country changed, because they wanted to not be known by the name imperialists gave them, I would call it by its new name. I assume we all would, unless there’s freaks who still insist on saying Rhodesia.

I don’t think it’s the same, but even within that, Coon decided to change its name because they made a business decision and felt that would be an easier sell for themselves. I personally didn’t care that their name was what it was, and think Cheer is an amusingly vanilla name, but why would I care?

It’s not, but the country has the exact same “giggling dickheads” factor coined by Chief if not worse. In the same way, you could go up to a group of black people holding an atlas and ask, with a sh*t eating grin, “hey guys what do you think of THIS country? Eh? Eh?” and you won’t get a great response.
I'd argue its not the 'exact same' - I've honestly never heard people giggle or wink wink nudge nudge over the name of that country, but have over Coon cheese. Anecdotal though so fair enough.

And per you example, not sure how many people are running over to black guys with an atlas or globe for some lols. Again, just a bit different than a name prominently displayed on millions of packages and in advertising for a market-leading brand lol

Let me put it this way. If it was Niger Cheese and people complained would you sympathise with them, or dismiss their complaints as illegitimate?
So we're back to a commercial product vs a nation of people? That you and Carringbush2010 somehow can't recognise any difference in these scenarios is genuinely worrying.

Difficult question to answer as i didn't really sympathise with nor dismiss concerns around Coon cheese in the first place. I can see how some people might have an issue with Niger cheese, less so than Coon as thats the exact same word and pronunciation. But if the company is of the same mind and wants to change their product name I couldn't care less. Thats vaguely sympathetic I guess? Not that I personally would have cared if they decided to stick with the Coon branding either so... yeah dunno.

Last edited:
I'd argue its not the 'exact same' - I've honestly never heard people giggle or wink wink nudge nudge over the name of that country, but have over Coon cheese. Anecdotal though so fair enough.

And per you example, not sure how many people are running over to black guys with an atlas or globe for some lols. Again, just a bit different than a name prominently displayed on millions of packages and in advertising for a market-leading brand lol

So we're back to a commercial product vs a nation of people? That you and Carringbush2010 somehow can't recognise any difference in these scenarios is genuinely worrying.

Difficult question to answer as i didn't really sympathise with nor dismiss concerns around Coon cheese in the first place. I can see how some people might have an issue with Niger cheese, less so than Coon as thats the exact same word and pronunciation. But if the company is of the same mind and wants to change their product name I couldn't care less. Thats vaguely sympathetic I guess? Not that I personally would have cared if they decided to stick with the Coon branding either.
Those giggling dickheads cannot spell very well can they?
It has the one "g", therefore its not even remotely pronounced close to the N word.
Correct me if I am wrong.I was wrong once, I believe it was a spring day in 89....but I digress.

Those giggling dickheads cannot spell very well can they?
It has the one "g", therefore its not even remotely pronounced close to the N word.
Correct me if I am wrong.I was wrong once, I believe it was a spring day in 89....but I digress.
It is only a racial slur if someone decides to use it as such apparently. Still waiting for Carringbush2010 to link me up some media of someone calling a black guy "Niger" with a soft g :tearsofjoy:

Also, who the * cares what a cheese brand changes its name to? Conservatism is so ******* stupid haha
Has anyone established that conservatives care about that issue? My view is that you're probably looking at less than 1% of the population who care about the branding of their cheese.

Most companies are generally pretty risk-averse, I think its very easy to understand why they'd prefer to just sidestep the whole thing.
Most large businesses are socially progressive, or at least make an attempt to appear as being so. That's one modern take of risk-adverse corporate strategy.

Me? Yep I'd think its overly sensitive.

I'm a white guy though, and generally not in the business of telling other people with vastly different experiences what they're allowed to take issue with.
Thanks for your honesty, and honestly I think most people view it as overly sensitive.

Back