The Cricket Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't understand a batsman leaving his ground too early anyway. If the striker smashes the ball back down the wicket, the non-striker has to ground his bat to ensure he's not run out by the bowler deflecting the ball onto the stumps.
How often does that actually happen though? I guess it's a trade off between that potential dismissal and the ability to sneak quick singles/ turn 1s into 2s etc. personally I am always backing up a long way, although I don't leave until bowler is in delivery stride

How often does that actually happen though? I guess it's a trade off between that potential dismissal and the ability to sneak quick singles/ turn 1s into 2s etc. personally I am always backing up a long way, although I don't leave until bowler is in delivery stride

I don't know how much cricket you've seen, but I've seen it happen 100s of times. When backing up, you also have to take into account the speed of your team mate, and also what type of shot he is playing. Not much point in racing through for a quick single if your mate down the other end is on the back foot and struggling to make it down the other end.

I recall a match years ago when I was facing a quick who threw in one just short of the length which grew big on me very quickly. I was back, trying to work it on the leg side. Took a moment to regain my balance after the shot. Next thing my mate down the other end is screaming through for a single that I had no chance of making. Run out by 4 metres. Thanks mate.

Just a normal lead off, walk through the crease as the bowler is letting go of the ball, that's all that's needed. If the striker places the ball wide of the fieldsman, there's plenty of time to take a single. No need for exaggerated backing up, it's not baseball.

excellent first hour with 4 early wickets. It's a big series if we want to reclaim #1 spot in Test rankings.

A pace attack of Hazlewood, Bird and Siddle doesn't exactly strike fear into the opposition. In fact (on paper) it's possibly the most underwhelming Australian bowling attack i've ever seen. But they're sure as hell getting the job done!

A pace attack of Hazlewood, Bird and Siddle doesn't exactly strike fear into the opposition. In fact (on paper) it's possibly the most underwhelming Australian bowling attack i've ever seen. But they're sure as hell getting the job done!
Wait until we bat....IF the ball is moving we will struggle. Already 2 down for less than 20 :(

Wait until we bat....IF the ball is moving we will struggle. Already 2 down for less than 20 :(
yeah not a great start. Warner's dismissal was particularly disappointing.
Also the fact NZ's 10th wicket partnership (46) was the highest of the innings may come back to bite us.

if he can get that average to over 100, i'd be very tempted to retire if i were Voges. He's only got a few years left, so might as well take #1 slot above Bradman.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

if he can get that average to over 100, i'd be very tempted to retire if i were Voges. He's only got a few years left, so might as well take #1 slot above Bradman.
Would You want to take that mantle off Bradman? I personally wouldn't retire to purely get the greatest average of all time

Would You want to take that mantle off Bradman? I personally wouldn't retire to purely get the greatest average of all time
Taylor retiring at 334* was a nice touch, though he might've thought differently had he known Hayden would pinch the record against Zimbabwe

Besides Bradman was a hack who wasn't good enough to average 100.

i think after 19 innings, Bradman had scored 600 odd runs more than Voges. Though regardless, it's great to see Voges make the most of his opportunities.

great win to the Aussies. That NZ is a real enigma. There's a lot of talent in that team, so it's hard to believe they can be so shitful.

great win to the Aussies. That NZ is a real enigma. There's a lot of talent in that team, so it's hard to believe they can be so shitful.
Batting wise they rely so heavily on Williamson (with Ross Taylor injured). Latham and Nicholls look like they could be solid test cricketers in the future. Guptill just throws his wicket away far too often. Watling is fine.

Bowling wise their biggest problem is that third seamer and a quality spinner (Santner obviously better than Craig)

So the choice for the second test is a bowler who has been injured in 3 of his past 4 matches including the first test (Siddle), a bowler coming back from injury (Pattinson) and a guy who doesn't break 130 km/hr :(
Go with Patto

Remove this Banner Ad

Back