Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
From this morning's Hearld-Sun

Tigers board loses Jewell
28 January 2004 Herald Sun
Damian Barrett

http://heraldsun.com.au/footy/common/story_page/0,8033,8511944%5E20322,00.html

TONY Jewell's tireless bond with the Richmond Football Club has ended following the counting of votes in the club's board election.

Jewell narrowly missed keeping his directorship and will be replaced by lawyer and investor John Matthies.

Matthies was one of six independents who ran against Jewell and fellow incumbents Gary March and Peter Welsh, who were both returned to the board by voters.

Jewell's involvement with Richmond began in 1964 and lasted nearly 40 years.

He was a premiership player (1967), a premiership coach (1980), a long-running chairman of selectors and a long-serving director.
He was twice sacked as Tigers coach and also played for Caulfield in the VFA and coached St Kilda.

Richmond president Clinton Casey confirmed the election result last night.

"We are sorry to lose the services of a guy like Tony Jewell, but happy to have the addition of John Matthies," he said.

"He has performed just about every function within the club and has probably spent the best part of his life serving it.

"We will need to have a bit of a look at our footy department going forward because it will leave a bit of a void there."

Matthies, who founded Col lins St law firm John Matthies and Co, has been a member of Richmond coterie groups since 1983.

"I know John very well and he will make a tremendous contribution to what we are trying to do," Casey said.

"He is a terrific bloke, has a great CV. I have had a bit to do with him and I am looking forward to working with him on Richmond matters."

Jewell could not be contacted last night.

He had contemplated stepping down from the board, but was enticed to run again by officials seeking stability.

It is understood less than 5000 members voted, deemed a disappointing return.

However, many members have contacted the Herald Sun complaining they did not receive voting forms in the mail until late last week.

Votes had to be returned by last Friday.

The Richmond annual general meeting will be held tomorrow night at the Grand Hyatt hotel.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back