The filter that will not die

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
I suppose Conroy's power and prestige has been enhanced by conning the independents with his NBN, so he battles on with his pet project

Conroy's net filter still alive and kicking
Asher Moses
September 10, 2010 - 11:32AM

The Communications Minister, Stephen Conroy, is ploughing ahead with his internet filter policy despite there being virtually no chance any enabling legislation will pass either house of Parliament...The government is preparing to introduce legislation forcing ISPs to block a blacklist of websites that have been "refused classification" (RC) by government bureaucrats....

Despite the intense opposition, Senator Conroy is pushing ahead with the filter and has revealed "a suite of transparency measures to accompany the policy and ensure people can have faith in the RC content list", a spokeswoman said. "The government does not support Refused Classification material being available on the internet. This material includes child sexual abuse imagery, bestiality, sexual violence and detailed instruction in crime," she said.

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/te...r-still-alive-and-kicking-20100910-1540s.html

I thought the greens have came out and said there against the filter so without them and the liberals it cant get through the senate.

http://www.watoday.com.au/digital-l...ing-laws-get-green-light-20150611-ghlr0g.html

So the party supposedly about less government and more personal freedoms has introduced their internet filter.

http://www.watoday.com.au/digital-l...crackdown-lacks-evidence-20150612-ghmevl.html

Unless of course you completely over-reach and throw a bunch of red tape at the internet, hoping that some of it catches. That's what we face now in Australia, where the consequences of an ineffective internet filter could be far greater than just more job opportunities for lawyers.

Complete silence on this from the Coalition cheerleaders, why?

http://www.watoday.com.au/digital-l...ing-laws-get-green-light-20150611-ghlr0g.html

So the party supposedly about less government and more personal freedoms has introduced their internet filter.

http://www.watoday.com.au/digital-l...crackdown-lacks-evidence-20150612-ghmevl.html

Complete silence on this from the Coalition cheerleaders, why?
The last sentence of your post makes you look like a muppet.

Firstly, I will admit that I don't know much about this sort of stuff. I know that I am totally against most forms of censorship. I have already emailed Malcolm Turnbull previously about this and will do so again in protest.

http://www.zdnet.com/article/labor-...l-through-australian-senate-despite-concerns/

The legislation passed the Senate 37 votes to 13, with the support of the Labor opposition, which only proposed one amendment: To call on the government to respond to the 2013 Australian Law Reform Commission report calling for fair use to be introduced into Australian Copyright Law.

Labor and the Coalition teamed up to vote down a series of amendments from Greens communications spokesperson Scott Ludlam that would have delayed the Bill until the government had responded to the ALRC report, as well as the IT pricing inquiry report.

Bunch of fascists the lot of them.

Website blocking and metadata retention should encourage all people to take security more seriously.

Get a VPN with stealth mode, learn how to ip match your VPN and visit dnsleaktest.com, tick the killswitch option, so when your VPN is not on you don't connect.. Visit ssd.eff.ord for some good background

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well looks like the Libs are again confirmed liars

Pre election when a proposal for a filter was leaked, the libs denied any plans to filter and force the blocking of content, especially over piracy
Lying about taxing stinking rich power companies who s**t on the populace - WORST THING THAT'S EVER HAPPENED IN THE HISTORY OF BAD THINGS

Lying about looking after Rupert - 100% fine

And people voted for this mob.....

Love to see the active encouragement of illegality going on here. Utterly sad and pathetic.

Australia has had a Copyright Act since the 1920's. Anyone who has ever bought a DVD or video would have seen the warning statement. Last penalties I saw were $25000 for individuals and $250000 for corporations.

and also think of the people busting their gut to make these tv shows and movies. Why should their intellectual property not be protected?

Foxtel is stuffed regardless of these laws.
It's not just these laws, it's also the neutering of the NBN, all designed for old Murdoch to help protect his business interests for just that little bit longer holding off the inevitable instead of embracing it like the young Murdoch would have.

and also think of the people busting their gut to make these tv shows and movies. Why should their intellectual property not be protected?
People are willing to pay, but old media and it's outdated distribution model is not willing to provide things in a timely or efficient manner.

Yeah. Nah. Better Call Saul was pirated a lot, despite being on Stan for $10 a month.

That old excuse is bullshit now.
It is a relavent point.

Number of netflix subscribers in the US is tremendous, and they have lower rates of piracy. Stan has a fairly terrible catalogue and low market exposure.

Australia is regarded as pirating more content than any other nation, it also has chronic problems with overcharging for content, limited access and late release etc.

I pay for most of my content but have no issue with piracy. When companies release material in Australia in a timely, cost competitive manner and start paying their fare share of taxes, then I will query why people do it.

Till then, if it pisses off the evil empire, who seem to want exclusive deals to charge outrageous prices for a barely cable service, and who are pushing for the introduction of all sorts of Orwellian laws then stuff em

Because Stan is a pile of s**t that has only damaged things by taking away shows from Netflix

Which is more or less irrelevant. BCS was available for a two month subscription, just a measly $20 then you could cancel, but it was still pirated by entitled flogs who think paying less than $2 an episode is somehow exorbitant.

So the whole "australians just want to pay a fair price" argument is pure hogwash..

Which is more or less irrelevant. BCS was available for a two month subscription, just a measly $20 then you could cancel, but it was still pirated by entitled flogs who think paying less than $2 an episode is somehow exorbitant.

So the whole "australians just want to pay a fair price" argument is pure hogwash..
I don't agree, I bought Aussie Netflix but they are still a season behind.
Further they could have used the legislation to force companies to offer a better price on software as a bargaining chip. Have you seen the prices on Reckon, Adobe products as compared to what they pay in the USA or even music, TV Shows on iTunes.

They were going to introduce filters and also copyright legislation, why not try and get a better deal for the consumer?

Nah, just paying back the donations to the parties.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back