Universal Love The game that just keeps giving (2013 - PF)

Remove this Banner Ad

A little anecdote from the Rd 15 night game we played against them last year...

I was in level 4 Southern stand in a predominately Hawthorn area right behind a Geelong couple maybe in their early 30's. I'd mention what race they happened to be, not that it has any relevance, but I don't want to be accused of being a anti-Semite.

From early on it was very clear this man was new to the game and exceedingly enthusiastic. Every single time they laid a finger on us "BBBAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLL". Obviously anytime we touched them "HHIIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHH". Not to mention the snide "See you at GWS Buddy" comments aimed more at the crowd than the players. Obviously you guys are getting the picture, just one of those really aggravating obnoxious loud morons....

Anyway he was pretty quiet when we hit the front got real close and I was directing my supporters noise in his general direction for a few minutes before they regained reopened their lead. My attention wandered during the last 5 minutes of such a familiar script and I found myself looking over his lady's shoulder reading the text conversation she was having with one of her friends....

"Zeb and I have finally decided to follow Geelong full time."

Made my day. :thumbsu:

Last edited:
Anyway he was pretty quiet when we hit the front and I was directing my supporters noise in his general direction for a few minutes before they regained the lead.
Hate to be "that guy" but we never actually hit the front in that last quarter. Damn close though!

Hate to be "that guy" but we never actually hit the front in that last quarter. Damn close though!
Leave me alone.

Kids woke us up a 5am and I am fruited.

PS. Don't let the truth get in the way..... Took the lead/got within a goal = same same...

;)

Leave me alone.

Kids woke us up a 5am and I am fruited.

PS. Don't let the truth get in the way..... Took the lead/got within a goal = same same...

;)
Hahaha sorry mate, at least your memories of losses are optimistic :p:thumbsu:

Just watching the famous game and even though I know the result the last 10 mins of the 3rd quarter has sent me furious!!

The Rioli mark and play on advantage that results in Geelong going the length and eventually kicking a goal was just one of the more horrible decisions I have ever seen on a football field!!

Then in the final moments when Rivers kicks it out on the full in the Geelong forward line and it gets called a throw in and they kick another goal , ahhhhhhhh just ridiculous !!
As I said lucky we got the result or those decisions would be the end of me !!!
I Hate Geelong and want to dominate them and shove another premiership in their faces!!
Add to that the non hold the ball decision against Motlop when he played on, got tackled and dropped the ball which ended being kicked by Steve Johnson to Varcoe who missed.

Was fuming at the time.

I have lost count on how many times I have watched the last quarter.
But every single time I see Burgoyne kick that goal I always rise my arm and point to the sky.
Its got to a point where I can feel my arm rise even when I just see this picture:

View attachment 42452

Iconic Hawks photo now.

It is the game that just keeps giving.
  • Harley and his general boobery with comments like "it is not about if Geelong can maintain a 3 goal lead, with their style of play I know they can. It is more about how do Hawthorn get 3 goals"... Well sh*t stain we were the best 4th qtr team all year and one of the fastest scoring in the comp for the whole H&A season. That might be how
  • The general troll of the whole match
  • Us having to rewrite history to win against the Cats
  • All of the umpiring decisions that went against us, just as they have in the 3 or 4 previous games
  • Hill being a bit fumbly most of the night
  • Injury strikes again with Whitecross going down 5 into the last
  • All of the familiar set shot misses that have been such an issue in all of our recent losses to the Cats
........ all of that happened in one half of footy and made for GREAT theatre and yet the only thing that mattered was that this time we seemed to not give in. All above the shoulders that win. Guys stood up when needed -

• Hill was fumbly most of the night but he jagged a bouncing oval bullet as clean as you like and snapped a ripper (under-rated goal that one)
  • Breusts knock onto Buddy who just squeezed it through
  • Gibbo beating Bartell
  • Burgoyne beating Kelly on the wing
  • HALE was massive in that bump on Blit.. Blitz... blics... that freakin steeple chaser
  • Burgoynes goal
  • Rioli making ground on Andrew "boundary line" Mackie and then delivering to Burgoyne
  • Burgoyne beating Mackie and Gunston gut running to get to the contest and snap the goal
  • Strattons marks when Geelong began to sh*t themselves
  • Sewell placing himself half a quick kick behind the ball at a few stopages and giving us easy clean possession out of the packs

Amazing game of footy and a great chapter in our recent Cats rivalry. When it matters Hawks.

I'd mention what race they happened to be, not that it has any relevance, but I don't want to be accused of being a anti-Semite.

From early on it was very clear this man was new to the game and game...

Mate, putting a caveat in there doesn't make it any less prejudicial.

The couple could have both been Christians wearing Swans scarves at a Sydney game and you would have observed exactly the same thing.

I have lost count on how many times I have watched the last quarter.
But every single time I see Burgoyne kick that goal I always rise my arm and point to the sky.
Its got to a point where I can feel my arm rise even when I just see this picture:

View attachment 42452
I'm with you mate. I get a (non-arm) rise from this pic too. :D

Mate, putting a caveat in there doesn't make it any less prejudicial.

The couple could have both been Christians wearing Swans scarves at a Sydney game and you would have observed exactly the same thing.
I'm sorry.

It's unfair to lump all Geelong supporters into the same category.

Bloody hell. Are people still banging on about this game?! Just kidding - how awesome is it?!

I am catching up with my uncles this weekend. I haven't seen them since before the finals and they are all mad Hawthorn supporters. It should be a bit of fun.

I went to a BBQ a few weeks ago and saw a sort of distant rellie who is a Hawks supporter, you can guess what occupied our entire conversation for the evening - the prelim and the general awesomeness of the Hawks in 2013 :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Happy New Year Hawthorn Folk,

Here we go again. Can we go back to back? The endless conversation of 2014!

ps. Certainly the game that keeps giving. Whenever I want to rile up a Geeeeelong supporter. I just mention that game. It kills them because it paved the way to our 11th premiership!

What I find amusing is that they got beaten by both the dockers and hawks in that final series but they had a thread or within a thread "could we have won" and the general consensus among them was YES - that they were the better team

Someone needs to tell em there dreamin

What I find amusing is that they got beaten by both the dockers and hawks in that final series but they had a thread or within a thread "could we have won" and the general consensus among them was YES - that they were the better team

Theywere the better team for all of about 15 minutes and that was kicked off by the umpires. The rest of the game we were either even or beating them outright.

And the defensive pressure that was applied in the last 5 or 6 mins of Q4, they just could not go past the center of the ground!

Bradrey Hill was instrumental in that game (especially in the last quarter) During critical times he stepped up and delivered and considering he was our youngest player in the finals, it made his contribution all the more impressive. Even throughout the entire finals series he lifted his intensity and played a huge part. There's a reason why Shane Savage is playing at another club now and that's because Bradley Hill has made that wing position his own.

The best thing I took out of this game was how Geelong pannicked when they went behind. Long kicks from the numerous points we kicked in the last 5 minutes. They simply lost their composure. In all of the other games when we have challenged/lead in the late stages they stuck to their game plan, because there was really nothing major at stake.

Jeff Kennett was right I tell you. The 'curse' remains on you Geelong!!

Bradrey Hill was instrumental in that game (especially in the last quarter) During critical times he stepped up and delivered and considering he was our youngest player in the finals, it made his contribution all the more impressive. Even throughout the entire finals series he lifted his intensity and played a huge part. There's a reason why Shane Savage is playing at another club now and that's because Bradley Hill has made that wing position his own.

Bradley Hill is a damn jet!
He runs like he's floating on water and not actually moving, but he has great pace and incredible stamina.

The number of goals he's kicked where he just appears ih the goal square - you know that he's absolutely put ona gut-busting run to get there.

He could be a legend in the making.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back