news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The main event was great yesterday, but both guys need think about hanging it up after that IMO. Shogun was controlling the fight, but didn't look great while doing it and a nasty KO like that will be tough to come back from. Hendo looked horrible from late in the first round right up until the H-Bomb in the third. Looks like his chin isn't what it used to be and with him losing his TRT exception after the fight, I don't see him winning many more fights if he hangs around.

Enjoyed most of the fights, but a few refereeing decisions were puzzling at best. I can't beleive the headbutt that knocked Jorgensen down was completely ignored by the ref and the Siler stoppage was pretty early. Watching it live, I thought it was a good stoppage but the replay appeared to show he looked fine when he hit the ground.

Yeah I was thinking that both Hendo (43?) and Shogun (looks unfit and past it) should probably think about throwing in the towel for the reasons Guy Threepwood mentioned.

Yep, Hendo's 43. Was surprised to read that his KO win yesterday didn't make him the oldest fighter to score a KO in the UFC... Randy was 44 when he stopped Gonzaga back at UFC 74(?).

Shogun's twitter account

I guess that's what makes MMA exciting, but losing hurts a lot. Now I want to enjoy my wife and daughters for a while. Tks for all the msgs!

I would go as far as saying Shogun is a living legend. It would be sad to see him go out like this. We all know MMA is good for this :D. (That wasnt a dig at the sport). 1 thing going for Shogun is he is only 32 years old.

ddffdf.gif

I don't really think it's Herb Dean's fault that he was in such a bad position to see those shots to the back of the head. Shogun had just been hit from one side of the octagon to the other, just about. I think it was just an unlucky situation that resulted in him being blinded. It did look like a few landed to the back of the head but I doubt anything would have been done even if he saw them. Outside of a couple of fights that have resulted in DQ's/no contests it seems like the back of the head is basically fair game when someone's badly hurt.

The main event was a really good fight but individually the two fighters didn't look particularly good. At the time I thought Dean was going to stop the fight in the 1st round when Hendo appeared to go limp for a brief moment and I wouldn't have complained if he did. Full credit to Hendo for surviving, not just that first round, but the uppercut in the second as well to come back like he did.

I have to thank Jab's favourite fighter, CB Dolloway, for ensuring that I didn't get 0 correct tips for this card. :D

That referee that I don't think I've ever seen before, well I hope I don't see him officiating again. The Siler stoppage was bad and then the point deduction for Parke grabbing Santos' shorts was bizarre since Santos had a hold of the fence at the same time. I'm all for more point deductions because usually it's beneficial to bend the rules a couple of times, but taking points like this out of the blue and then not doing it in future is pointless. It was also weird how Yamasaki had already taken a point from Taisumov for grabbing the cage and then only warned him later for the exact same thing.

Haha, I meant to post something CB related and tag Jab but forgot. Good to see you had my back BradWCE . :D

I don't really think it's Herb Dean's fault that he was in such a bad position to see those shots to the back of the head. Shogun had just been hit from one side of the octagon to the other, just about. I think it was just an unlucky situation that resulted in him being blinded. It did look like a few landed to the back of the head but I doubt anything would have been done even if he saw them. Outside of a couple of fights that have resulted in DQ's/no contests it seems like the back of the head is basically fair game when someone's badly hurt.

Herb probably should have gone the other way if you watch the gif bkozican posted above. You can't fault him too much as it's a split second call, but if he'd gone to his left instead of to his right he'd have had a much better view. Agree with your call on the other ref though, that guy made some bizarre calls!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Barao vs Dillashaw is the new main event for 173. Poor Team Alpha Male are going to lose another title fight.

Dillashaw has looked good of late, but I'm surprised they passed over Assuncao for next title shot at 135, especially since he beat Dillashaw one fight ago. Like yourself, I don't see where Dillashaw wins this fight. I see this one ending early and in a similar fashion to TJ's loss to Dodson at the TUF Finale a few years ago.

Dillashaw has looked good of late, but I'm surprised they passed over Assuncao for next title shot at 135, especially since he beat Dillashaw one fight ago. Like yourself, I don't see where Dillashaw wins this fight. I see this one ending early and in a similar fashion to TJ's loss to Dodson at the TUF Finale a few years ago.
I thought that too. Turns out Assuncao would have got the shot but can't take it because he's still recovering from an injury. I can't really remember who I thought won but I recall that Dillashaw/Assuncao was very close, and just checking now I see that a lot of MMA websites scored it for Dillashaw.

I've said before that I don't think the UFC should rush Cruz into a title fight but the way it's looking they probably have to. There's Dillashaw and Assuncao, and neither of them stand much of a chance against Barao. Then there's not a lot else. This was brought up somewhere else; Easton's still ranked 6th on the UFC rankings despite losing 3 straight. That sums up how dead 135 is right now for title challengers.

No UFC this weekend but there's a bunch of other interesting events. Shlemenko's defending the MW title at Bellator 114; he's fun to watch. WSOF 9 has some names on the card and has Palhares fighting for the title. As much I don't like Palhares, him beating Pierce was very impressive as Pierce had only lost in the UFC to top guys in the division in very close decisions prior to that.

I don't follow Jiu-Jitsu all that closely but Metamoris 3 has some really interesting matches too. Bravo/Gracie rematch and Rafael Mendes who's a terrific grappler is taking on this guy, Clark Gracie. Then there's a few well known guys from MMA too.

I thought that too. Turns out Assuncao would have got the shot but can't take it because he's still recovering from an injury. I can't really remember who I thought won but I recall that Dillashaw/Assuncao was very close, and just checking now I see that a lot of MMA websites scored it for Dillashaw.

I've said before that I don't think the UFC should rush Cruz into a title fight but the way it's looking they probably have to. There's Dillashaw and Assuncao, and neither of them stand much of a chance against Barao. Then there's not a lot else. This was brought up somewhere else; Easton's still ranked 6th on the UFC rankings despite losing 3 straight. That sums up how dead 135 is right now for title challengers.
Didn't Cruz officially retire? Or did he only relinquish the title?

No UFC this weekend but there's a bunch of other interesting events. Shlemenko's defending the MW title at Bellator 114; he's fun to watch. WSOF 9 has some names on the card and has Palhares fighting for the title. As much I don't like Palhares, him beating Pierce was very impressive as Pierce had only lost in the UFC to top guys in the division in very close decisions prior to that.

Also worth noting that Cris Cyborg lost by unanimous decision in a Muay Thai fight today. Even though it's a different sport it'll hurt the leveraging power she'd have had with the UFC for getting big money and a fight with Ronda.

Anyone see the Royler Gracie/Eddie Bravo grappling match today? Rematch of their 2003 ADCC fight when Bravo won, apparently Bravo did it easy today as well, passed his guard 3 times, but no sub.

it'd be good if there was a Jiu Jitsu thread or something, but here it is.

The angle of that leg with 2:10 on the clock. :eek:

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back