news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Its crazy to think that Ronda was known for judo ability and the opponents had an advantage in the striking game. Its like now, Everybody has been focusing on wrestling and how to avoid the armbar whilst Ronda is making huge leaps on her striking. She wasn't known for it but is now probably one of the best strikers in mma...Crazy ay

Its crazy to think that Ronda was known for judo ability and the opponents had an advantage in the striking game. Its like now, Everybody has been focusing on wrestling and how to avoid the armbar whilst Ronda is making huge leaps on her striking. She wasn't known for it but is now probably one of the best strikers in mma...Crazy ay

o_O

Ronda looks amazing on the pads on videos on Instagram but realistically we have seen her KO McMann and Davis both of whom have little to no striking skills that weve seen. I adore Ronda like few others but until we see her in a fight that lasts longer than thirty seconds against a good striker it's difficult to say she is one of the best strikers in mma. Having said all of that if she keeps finishing fights in under a minute who cares what anyone thinks of her striking ability.

Ronda looks amazing on the pads on videos on Instagram but realistically we have seen her KO McMann and Davis both of whom have little to no striking skills that weve seen. I adore Ronda like few others but until we see her in a fight that lasts longer than thirty seconds against a good striker it's difficult to say she is one of the best strikers in mma. Having said all of that if she keeps finishing fights in under a minute who cares what anyone thinks of her striking ability.

I think that's a fair way of looking at it, but if you were making a list of best strikers in MMA, Ronda wouldn't be on too many peoples' list. She is a dominate champion and great for the sport, but lets not get too carried away with her striking ability just yet.

I think that's a fair way of looking at it, but if you were making a list of best strikers in MMA, Ronda wouldn't be on too many peoples' list. She is a dominate champion and great for the sport, but lets not get too carried away with her striking ability just yet.
I dont think we will see if she is great in the striking department cause the min it is not working she will go to ground. pray for a cyborg fight I wanna see how she fares when she eats some of those punches off someone that can do damage

You dont think so GT

She's not even the best female striker in MMA, let alone one of the best strikers overall. She has power and looks good on the pads (seriously though, how many different videos so we need of her hitting pads and "looking amazing"?), but her defense is average and she hasn't got a heap of diversity to her strikes.

She's not even the best female striker in MMA, let alone one of the best strikers overall. She has power and looks good on the pads (seriously though, how many different videos so we need of her hitting pads and "looking amazing"?), but her defense is average and she hasn't got a heap of diversity to her strikes.

I was supposed to write womens mma...not just mma overall.

I just cant see anybody beating her, Not on the ground or striking.

I was supposed to write womens mma...not just mma overall.

I just cant see anybody beating her, Not on the ground or striking.

I don't see her losing any time soon either, but it's mostly because of her work on the ground than her stand up. I'll wait for her to tuck her chin while windmilling punches before I say she's one of the better strikers in women's MMA personally.

I'd be keen to see Julianna Pena replace Tate and fight Jessica Eye, Not sure it should still be a title eliminator, but it'd be an intriguing matchup.

I don't mind this. Pena had plenty of hype coming off TUF and didn't look like she'd lost a step while on the sidelines if Sunday was any indication. I was thinking Nunes would be a good next match up for her, but if Dana thinks she's ready for Eye, I'd be down to see that.

I don't mind this. Pena had plenty of hype coming off TUF and didn't look like she'd lost a step while on the sidelines if Sunday was any indication. I was thinking Nunes would be a good next match up for her, but if Dana thinks she's ready for Eye, I'd be down to see that.
Either or.. They're very similar in style - Nunes & Eye. Very aggressive on the feet, either would make for entertaining fights!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a bit hard to tell how good Rousey's striking is with such limited evidence. She clearly has power but has flaws technically. That's to be expected from someone who's this early into their career and didn't come from a striking background. The Zingano fight didn't show us anything in terms of her striking ability, so I have no clue where it is at currently.

What she and her camp have done really well is to create a striking style that meshes very well with her overall goal; to take you down and armbar you. She strikes to close the distance quickly and get you down. The polar opposite of this is someone like Phil Davis. His striking and wrestling don't mesh at all. His striking doesn't close the distance, it maintains distance.

She's probably one of the better strikers in her division, but it's a grappling heavy division. Strawweight is more of a striking heavy division and has a number of women who are better strikers than Rousey based on evidence to date. Jedrzejczyk for sure, Grasso too. Calderwood has issues at range but I'd say her clinch striking puts her above Rousey. Almost forgot but Cyborg Justino too.

So Poirier gets suspended for 60 days but now has a fight booked on June 6th against Yancy Medeiros. Makes sense.

In other news, Rampage and the UFC lost in court over night and he is off the 186 card due to legal action by Bellator. I don't care anyway, I would have been happy for Rampage to stick to doing movies from now on.

Wow. UFC 186 main card has gone from this;

TJ Dillashaw vs. Renan Barao
Rory MacDonald vs. Hector Lombard
Rampage Jackson vs. Fabio Maldonado
Michael Bisping vs. CB Dollaway
Yves Jabouin vs. Thomas Almeida

To this;

Demetrious Johnson vs. Kyoji Horiguchi
Michael Bisping vs. C.B. Dollaway
Patrick Cote vs. Joe Riggs

Montreal fans would be filthy!

Ia Quinta with one of the great post fight rage quit :D

"You better not be booing me" :D

It's hard not to be frustrating as a fighter to hear score cards as bad as a 30-27 for you and 28-29 against.

I'm the opposite i hate seeing s**t like this, going off at the crowd trashing hotel rooms. even the pre fight promos are starting to bring that boxing BS into it.

MMA especially UFC is about mutual respect, disappointed or not even if you were robbed, your supposed to act like a professional.
his interview on MMAjunkie was telling, carrying on left right and centre about cash. its all about the money with this bloke.

for me he's lost respect i believe he won that bout, but know carrying on like this? that's not UFC that's boxing trash talk rubbish. at least forest griffin had the testicular fortitude to man up and apologise when he threw his hissy fit and stormed out.

For keeping up with his antics he should go all the way back down to the bottom rung. needs to stop acting like brat and realise sometimes the scorecard goes against you.

I'm the opposite i hate seeing s**t like this, going off at the crowd trashing hotel rooms. even the pre fight promos are starting to bring that boxing BS into it.

MMA especially UFC is about mutual respect, disappointed or not even if you were robbed, your supposed to act like a professional.
his interview on MMAjunkie was telling, carrying on left right and centre about cash. its all about the money with this bloke.

for me he's lost respect i believe he won that bout, but know carrying on like this? that's not UFC that's boxing trash talk rubbish. at least forest griffin had the testicular fortitude to man up and apologise when he threw his hissy fit and stormed out.

For keeping up with his antics he should go all the way back down to the bottom rung. needs to stop acting like brat and realise sometimes the scorecard goes against you.

You know Al won the fight, then abused the crowd who were booing the decision.

Wow. UFC 186 main card has gone from this;

TJ Dillashaw vs. Renan Barao
Rory MacDonald vs. Hector Lombard
Rampage Jackson vs. Fabio Maldonado
Michael Bisping vs. CB Dollaway
Yves Jabouin vs. Thomas Almeida

To this;

Demetrious Johnson vs. Kyoji Horiguchi
Michael Bisping vs. C.B. Dollaway
Patrick Cote vs. Joe Riggs

Montreal fans would be filthy!

The phrase 'the Montreal screwjob' makes a return in 2015. :D

Firstly, are you talking about Iaquinta, Masvidal or both? Looks like both but it also looks like you've also got things a bit muddled.

Secondly, Dana White is someone who has a large role at the top of the promotion. Respect and professionalism are things that don't show through in his public appearances. I think it's a bit weird to claim that the UFC is about mutual respect and that you should act like a professional when Dana White is the person that the UFC have addressing the audience (much less now than in the past I must admit).

What's the deal with the UFC thinking they could sign Rampage? Rampage said himself that he ended his contract with Bellator. The UFC's statement says that Rampage told them he was able to sign. You're just going to take Rampage's word? lol

What makes most sense is that the UFC's legal team stuffed up. I've seen it mentioned that perhaps they don't really care if he's fighting for them, as long as he's not fighting for Bellator. The logic behind that is that Bonnar/Ortiz did really good numbers for Bellator, so Rampage would be able to as well. Who knows how long this'll take to sort out and in the meantime Ramage can't fight. Obviously it's all tinfoil hat stuff without any evidence.

Dont know if anyone will watch this but its from the local Muay thai scene in Perth. I was there that night. 1 of my cousins was fighting on the card. Wasnt a bad night of fights for amateur fighters

What's the deal with the UFC thinking they could sign Rampage? Rampage said himself that he ended his contract with Bellator. The UFC's statement says that Rampage told them he was able to sign. You're just going to take Rampage's word? lol

What makes most sense is that the UFC's legal team stuffed up. I've seen it mentioned that perhaps they don't really care if he's fighting for them, as long as he's not fighting for Bellator. The logic behind that is that Bonnar/Ortiz did really good numbers for Bellator, so Rampage would be able to as well. Who knows how long this'll take to sort out and in the meantime Ramage can't fight. Obviously it's all tinfoil hat stuff without any evidence.
I think it might have something to do with the upcoming class action suit against the UFC. Bellator going after rampage will lead to the release of his contract terms and the theory is that the UFC can then use this to show that they arnt a monopoly and show that fighters have other options for big pay days. it just doesn't make any sense that the UFC would take rampages word for it, there legal team is surely more capable than that.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back