news The General MMA & Combat Sports Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

I've seen the quotes. I'm hopeful that Dana's trying to lower Askren's asking price, but I'm really not sure. Askren being a 'boring wrestler' may well be part of the reason, if the UFC is actually 100% against signing him. The main reason in my mind is that the UFC don't want to be taking a guy it appears Bellator don't want. That doesn't seem to be the case as Bellator offered him a contract but he turned it down. Now they've done what some criticised them for not doing in the Eddie Alvarez situation, letting the fighter who wants out go.

Dana saying that Askren isn't worthy of being in the UFC because he barely beat Jay Hieron really makes no sense when you think about it. Hieron lost to Askren then won one fight and got brought into the UFC. Anthony Lapsley fought on the weekend and he's lost to Hieron.

I'll be disappointed if Askren doesn't end up in the UFC because there's people who think he'll have a real impact. So far he's fought fighters that he's been able to easily take down and dominate. No doubt he's a great wrestler but the UFC's WW division is wrestler heavy and may prove too much for him.
Askren is running his mouth off a little, he's definitely biting off more than he can chew with his latest statement - sign him up DW!

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/11/...lbow&utm_medium=nextclicks&utm_campaign=blogs

I'll be disappointed if Askren doesn't end up in the UFC because there's people who think he'll have a real impact. So far he's fought fighters that he's been able to easily take down and dominate. No doubt he's a great wrestler but the UFC's WW division is wrestler heavy and may prove too much for him.

Totally agree - would love to see how well his takedown goes against Woodley, Lombard, Ellenberger etc

Hendricks's hands post-fight.

johny-hendricks-ufc-167-swollen-hands.jpg

11.gif

Robbie Lawler putting his head down and swinging. I think this guy can do some damage in the division.

Robbie Lawler and Matt Brown in the top 10 at welterweight - who'd have thought a couple of years ago? Lawler lost to Lorenz Larkin less than a year and a half ago. Both have turned their careers around amazingly.

I don't know how well Lawler will go against guys at the very top of the division, but they look like fun fights. Lawler/Condit would be great and a potential fight with Hendricks a while down the line would be cool. Condit's got Brown first next month though, which I'm pumped for.

Robbie Lawler and Matt Brown in the top 10 at welterweight - who'd have thought a couple of years ago? Lawler lost to Lorenz Larkin less than a year and a half ago. Both have turned their careers around amazingly.

I don't know how well Lawler will go against guys at the very top of the division, but they look like fun fights. Lawler/Condit would be great and a potential fight with Hendricks a while down the line would be cool. Condit's got Brown first next month though, which I'm pumped for.

You are probably right. With the way Lawler fights, I mean hands are nearly always down.....Looking for the big strike. Against the top tier guys......I'm not sure if that will fly

You are probably right. With the way Lawler fights, I mean hands are nearly always down.....Looking for the big strike. Against the top tier guys......I'm not sure if that will fly
Then again.. who thought that style would result in anything other than a loss against somebody like Rory McDonald. I think Lawler's gonna be at home in the top 3 for a little while.

I also thought it was a little surprising to not see Woodley in the WW top 10 rankings. Granted, Koscheck's not a top 10 scalp, he was only a few months ago and a definitive KO of him is no mean feat.

Lawler is a savage. I have doubts re his style against a fella like Condit who is precise and predatory and tough as s**t, but I'll be watching whoever he fights. I have no particular dislike for Rory, but I was glad to see such a careful technician play safe and get blasted by a ******* animal.

WW is ridiculous at the moment.

I also thought it was a little surprising to not see Woodley in the WW top 10 rankings. Granted, Koscheck's not a top 10 scalp, he was only a few months ago and a definitive KO of him is no mean feat.

You could make a case for him being top 10. Nick Diaz at number 10 despite being 'retired' and Matt Brown while being on an impressive run is in the top 10 without beating anyone that's really close to the top 10. Woodley did lose to Marquardt a few fights ago and he lost to Shields just before the Koscheck fight. His next fight should be against someone at the lower part of the top 10 and winning that would put him in the top 10.

I've pointed this out before, when Klima Pessanha is allowed to put in rankings that are a joke it's hard to take the UFC's rankings seriously.

Edit: These rankings for WW are better than the UFC's rankings imo, if only because they've left out Nick Diaz.

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/11/...rankings-welterweight-st-pierre-gsp-hendricks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if he is dead some reporting that he is still on life support but is unlikely to survive. Thoughts are with his family tho such and unlikely thing to happen to an athlete that undergoes regular medical testing

Yea im reading that he is on life support but is un likely to survive. This stuff scares me.......These guys shouldnt be going down like that

Very scary that someone subject to regular health checks and monitoring can succumb to this. Doesn't give us normal folk much chance if we're ever effected does it?

Shocking thing to happen at such a young age.

Sad to hear about Shane del Rosario. :(

Like everyone else I thought he's fit, has regular health check ups and everything, then he has a heart attack. Stefan Struve and Dan Hardy both found out about heart issues they have not too long ago, it's great that their issues were found before anything serious happened. Unfortunately it doesn't look like that was a possibility with del Rosario, which is a scary thing.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/11/...nues-to-cling-to-life-family-still-hoping-for
"Doctors believe he may suffer from a rare condition called Long QT Syndrome which is a genetic anomaly that can cause a sudden and life threatening heart rhythm abnormality, and may result in sudden death. Tragically, it strikes healthy young people and often is the first and only presentation of a heart problem."
http://www.mmafighting.com/2013/11/...nues-to-cling-to-life-family-still-hoping-for

Remove this Banner Ad

Back