THE GF. ..WHO TAKES IT OUT THIS YEAR

Remove this Banner Ad

It’s a real shame that you enjoy illegitimacy in sport without demanding change.
I don’t enjoy illegitimacy in sport.
But as you well know Krank, I acknowledge it and instead of bleating unfairness, ask what could be rationally done to fix the situation.

You on the other hand….

Clever

If Vic teams played interstate every year a few results would likely be different

At least Vic fans are admitting to the massive advantage, even quite proud of it
This year we have played in WA, Qld Twice and SA 3 times and have only lost 1 game.
I think some teams just travel well.

I would mention the 3 times we had to travel to Marvel but that would just be sour grapes.
And that is not how I roll :).

I don’t enjoy illegitimacy in sport.
But as you well know Krank, I acknowledge it and instead of bleating unfairness, ask what could be rationally done to fix the situation.

You on the other hand….
Mate i had a suggestion, do what heaps of other sports have already done to the mcg and change its dimensions.

Cricket , soccer, rugby league and union have all altered the mcg dimensions to suit their sport.

I suggested that the width of the mcg be brought in to approximate the “home teams” ground.

You: NO ITS IMPOSSIBLE CANT DO BAD NO NO NO.

It’s a perfectly rational way to go some way to level up a very unfair situation. You dismissed it out of hand.

Fact is in the other thread you have mcg tenant supporters telling the saints that they have no right to play home finals on their home ground and that the MCG is the home of everything waffle waffle blah blah.

ANY SUGGESTION MADE will result in the same reaction.

We are fighting against an organisation that takes decisions in secret that affect every single stakeholder in the country but only actually represent the stakeholders from a few big Vic clubs.

There isnt time to not be angry or vocal about the sport we love. Not being angry or vocal tells them they can keep doing what they are doing.

I firmly believe the mcg advantage is going to become so ridiculously obvious and lopsided as the sport gets more and more professional and the gaps between teams become less and less.

At some stage they will have to change that deal. Whether they hen bastardise the gf to be best of three or something like that - but they will have to do something. Or they risk having non MCG team supporters defect to other codes.

That something will never happen when people are silent. It has to start somewhere.

Last edited:
This year we have played in WA, Qld Twice and SA 3 times and have only lost 1 game.
I think some teams just travel well.

I would mention the 3 times we had to travel to Marvel but that would just be sour grapes.
And that is not how I roll :).
Do it every second week for a season and see how you go.

I remember collingwood resting Nathan Buckley from perth trips in his last two seasons.

Lions have beaten Pies twice

I've loved the Lions contests this season throughout the year and feel you guys will teach port a lesson in footy

however I have question marks against the Lions in Melbourne. I appreciate you beat the pies at the MCG recently but I'd suggest that the pies had injuries and or already focused on getting "right" for september

good luck either way

I’m not emotional on this topic at all. Why would I be? My team is not even close this year and I have no skin in the game. And it’s a thread about who we think will win the flag. I’ve been quite clear and rational in my view that your side should win it all in a cakewalk.

But there seems to be something I’ve said that has got your back up. And that reason is why there’s no such thing as an unbackable favourite. Surely you know that. Bookies do and so do intelligent people. That’s why gamblings for mugs.

Now just because my view has rankled you because it may be different to yours or others doesn’t mean it’s wrong.
What rationale have you provided as to how it is Collingwood’s to lose and not Brisbane or Melbourne’s?

MCG? Melbourne have an equally good record at the ‘G, and we’re playing them in the first final.

You putting your house on the Pies to win? You’re adamant Collingwood will win?

You need to be able to handle things better when people call you out.

Do you reckon every team that’s top 4 that doesn’t win the flag will have ‘shat the bed’?

What rationale have you provided as to how it is Collingwood’s to lose and not Brisbane or Melbourne’s?

MCG? Melbourne have an equally good record at the ‘G, and we’re playing them in the first final.

Do you reckon every team that’s top 4 that doesn’t win the flag will have ‘shat the bed’?
Agree here, I think Collingwood will have their hands full to take the Chocolates. There are some good teams coming into their own who will have a big say.

Agree here, I think Collingwood will have their hands full to take the Chocolates. There are some good teams coming into their own who will have a big say.
Exactly right.

Going back 6-7 weeks, it would’ve been a fair comment, but not now.

Pies are in no way the unbackable favourites they were.

All of Melbourne, Brisbane and Collingwood would be worthy premiers now.

Exactly right.

Going back 6-7 weeks, it would’ve been a fair comment, but not now.

Pies are in no way the unbackable favourites they were.

All of Melbourne, Brisbane and Collingwood would be worthy premiers now.
GWS😁

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A GF against GWS this year would be an absolute bloodbath IMO.
On whose behalf? They have something different going on this year.
They want to establish themselves.
But I won't put my house on it.

On whose behalf? They have something different going on this year.
They want to establish themselves.
But I won't put my house on it.
Kingsley has got a good thing going up there, in a sense, similar to Fly at the Pies last year, but he needs at least another season or two with that group to ingrain the DNA he is after. They’ll be gallant this September, and a huge chance of winning at least 1 final, but can’t see them being a threat in a Prelim or GF.

Absolutely love what he has done with that team though. Making finals in itself is a huge success.

Do it every second week for a season and see how you go.

I remember collingwood resting Nathan Buckley from perth trips in his last two seasons.
I would love it. Imagine playing West Coast and Freo 3 times each.
That extra 24 points will get us into finals each year ;).

All BS aside though, what are we supposed to do?

As there is more teams in Victoria than other states, of course Vic teams play in Victoria more.
As Interstate teams only have two teams, they must travel or play each other 6 times.
May as well join the WAFL, if that is the case.

Either reduce the Vic sides or increase Interstate sides.

None of it is really fair but what is the solution?

Mate you guys finished a game and percentage clear of second. Flailed in the last few weeks but had injuries and their guns are back.

Brisbane can’t win at the G, especially against a dominant Collingwood who have this ground as their home deck.

Port have had a good year but aren’t close in quality of cohesion of system.

Melbourne are a danger but in my view they are a class below.

That’s my view. All could turn out wrong, who knows. But criticising someone’s view as wrong before the event is questionable.

As for calling me out, that’s laughable.

My view is above, and you don’t need to get upset with me saying I think the top of the ladder side has been the best all year, should go through to the GF with games all on their home deck, then most likely play an interstater on their home deck, and not believe it’s theirs to lose.

There’s no issue with you disagreeing with me, but you seem adamant my opinion is something that I don’t believe, which is really strange as I don’t know you, yet you are adamant of my intent.

As for putting the house on it, just stop.
I’m not a gambler because there is no such thing as a sure thing. But my belief is the only way they can be beaten is if they beat themselves. Or as you like to continually like to repeat ‘s**t the bed’. I’ve stated this multiple times.

I really don’t care about your view on the topic, but you seem fixated on mine. Maybe just focus on what you think.

I would love it. Imagine playing West Coast and Freo 3 times each.
That extra 24 points will get us into finals each year ;).

All BS aside though, what are we supposed to do?

As there is more teams in Victoria than other states, of course Vic teams play in Victoria more.
As Interstate teams only have two teams, they must travel or play each other 6 times.
May as well join the WAFL, if that is the case.

Either reduce the Vic sides or increase Interstate sides.

None of it is really fair but what is the solution?
Rotated gf’s
Teams play finals at their home grounds
Merge a couple of vic teams to counter tassie entering.
Never ever make decisions that affect the entire comp in secret

Mate you guys finished a game and percentage clear of second. Flailed in the last few weeks but had injuries and their guns are back.

Brisbane can’t win at the G, especially against a dominant Collingwood who have this ground as their home deck.

That’s my view. All could turn out wrong, who knows. But criticising someone’s view as wrong before the event is questionable.

My view is above, and you don’t need to get upset with me saying I think the top of the ladder side has been the best all year, should go through to the GF with games all on their home deck, then most likely play an interstater on their home deck, and not believe it’s theirs to lose.

There’s no issue with you disagreeing with me, but you seem adamant my opinion is something that I don’t believe, which is really strange as I don’t know you, yet you are adamant of my intent.

I’m not a gambler because there is no such thing as a sure thing. But my belief is the only way they can be beaten is if they beat themselves. Or as you like to continually like to repeat ‘s**t the bed’. I’ve stated this multiple times.

I really don’t care about your view on the topic, but you seem fixated on mine.
Pretty succinct case I think most would agree with.

If we’d finished a few games clear with a much healthier percentage, your view with hold more merit.

They beat the Dees there in a final last year and beat us recently in Vic. They’re the real deal.

Agreed.

Disagree. Dees are probably the most stable of the top 4 IMO right now.

If you were genuine about it, I’d respect it, but your initial post reeks of wanting to laugh at Collingwood’s expense if they don’t win the flag. So you can claim they shat the bed, as you initially said.

Stop saying I’m upset and you’re not. I’m just responding to your opinion. There is no emotion to it. Why can’t we have a discussion without it being deemed emotional?

Like I said, you probably do believe Collingwood has the best chance. They probably do, but they aren’t clear cut favourites like you’re claiming. Your end narrative is we s**t the bed if we don’t win the flag. That’s not fair. That’s what I’m disputing.

I’ve repeatedly said s**t the bed because you’re the one who has made the claim if Collingwood doesn’t win the flag this year, they would’ve shat the bed, which is incorrect.

I really don’t care about your view on the topic, but you seem fixated on mine. Maybe just focus on what you think.

I respect the fact you’re responding back and playing fair though.

Completely capable of kicking a score. Averaged 90.4 per game this year, which is a grand total of 2.7 points less than Collingwood, despite missing our best forward for two months. And that's to go with the second best defence in the league.
Averaged 78.1 against sides who are playing finals. Drops to 71.8 if you exclude the outlier 134 against the Swans in round 2 (when they rancid), with only one other score above 100.

Scores against top 8 sides - 82,134,76,61,66,45,79,105,56,77.

Sorry to say, but you ain't winning bupkis with that record.

Well we did beat the Dees last year in the finals. And were all over them this year at the G until we stopped trying to win in the final QTR. Just the 1 point margin as well
At what point do you stop going "What if, what if etc" and acknowledge the pattern though? Any Victorian team who's been through the same thing has had to do so.

The facts are the Lions have been H&A champions, and finals easy beats.

Much like Geelong, Collingwood & Richmond in years goneby, you can get into all the nitty gritty reasons and 'what ifs'....but the facts are you're not the same side in finals, and definitely not the same side at the MCG.

I do hope that changes, as I expect Brisbane to make the GF with their Gabba dominance, and as a neutral all I want is a good GF.

But against Collingwood or Melbourne in a Grand Final, there's little evidence to support the Lions being competitive.

Geelong sufferered from the same issue over numerous times over the last decade, and still made this Lions group look like schoolboys in two prelims.

What's different this year?

Averaged 78.1 against sides who are playing finals. Drops to 71.8 if you exclude the outlier 134 against the Swans in round 2 (when they rancid), with only one other score above 100.

Scores against top 8 sides - 82,134,76,61,66,45,79,105,56,77.

Sorry to say, but you ain't winning bupkis with that record.
More points per game than when we won the flag in 2021.

And also, we averaged 78.1 against top-eight teams, you're correct. Those teams we were playing against? They averaged 68.8.

Much rather rely on a strong defence than a strong offense in finals.

Also, that dysfunctional forward line had six different players kick 20+ goals, which is more than any team in the finals bar Brisbane. Happy to have unpredictability ahead of the ball.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back