Music The guitar thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Kids at the concerts have them. Squires or something. They sound tinny to me.
But then again, I have no idea where they fit in the order of fenders.

I've heard that criticism applied to Fenders as well. For me personally the necks are (mostly) too narrow - hence why I love Gibsons. But related to my other post, there are guys who managed to get awesome sounds from a Fender - Blackmore for example. So as usual, whatever works for you.

hahaha a music store guy recommended you a fender over a martin. hahaha im not even gonna get into this with you. but i am genuinely laughing out loutd.

I can't hear you laughing pal, and you didn't hear how both guitars were set up, which was the point of the initial remark in the first place.
Part of the discussion was going to lead into amps/guitars...but alas we can't hear it because you are drowning it out laughing about something you haven't heard yet.

You can buy medium to expensive guitars, but not everyone makes them sound even half good. You might fall into this category.
A guy who likes to talk about expensive guitars but that's it type thing.
Like, I play a Gibson, so I must sound good. Wow...why?
Or he, she, me, you can't sound good unless they have a really awesome guitar. Hhhmmmm. Lame.

You know the one about the tradesmen who blames his tools right?

The other point was, guy's who know how to set half decent guitars up can make them sound very much like the top gear.

I doubt you are of course professional on the evidence, as no musical person worth their salt talks about something they haven't even heard yet.

Jokes kind of on you there buddy and that's not a turn of phrase.

Last edited:
I can't hear you laughing pal, and you didn't hear how both guitars were set up, which was the point of the initial remark in the first place.
Part of the discussion was going to lead into amps/guitars...but alas we can't hear it because you are drowning it out laughing about something you haven't heard yet.

You can buy medium to expensive guitars, but not everyone makes them sound even half good. You might fall into this category.
A guy who likes to talk about expensive guitars but that's it type thing.
Like, I play a Gibson, so I must sound good. Wow...why?
Or he, she, me, you can't sound good unless they have a really awesome guitar. Hhhmmmm. Lame.

You know the one about the tradesmen who blames his tools right?

The other point was, guy's who know how to set half decent guitars up can make them sound very much like the top gear.

I doubt you are of course professional on the evidence, as no musical person worth their salt talks about something they haven't even heard yet.

Jokes kind of on you there buddy and that's not a turn of phrase.

Hahaha let me know the next time you're doin an open mic night on your sweet guitar man. I'll be there. #cantwait #betypurversionofjessiesgirlisepic

Hahaha let me know the next time you're doin an open mic night on your sweet guitar man. I'll be there. #cantwait #betypurversionofjessiesgirlisepic

Interesting. What a negative buzz kill you are mate in a guitar thread.

I actually own a Martin guitar and it's the only guitar I own.
I guess that's why I was asked to rate that Fender that day, as I had come in to play the new Martin stock. Unlike you, I wasn't a w***er about it though.
Some of the Martin stuff is savagely over priced for what they are, but that's from knowing their brand and why I can perfectly understand other people go hunting for alternatives.

Never done an open mic night, but I have been signed, recorded and distributed as an artist in a guitar band pal of which I was the lead singer, but I am more a professional jazz piano player by trade.

Let me know at any stage if you actually want to discuss anything that is to do with music itself ok in this guitar thread?
And let's just talk about the enjoyment of music, not all this negative crap you are spinning.

PS Not going to talk about my career or name drop. To coin a Blighty phrase that's "wanksville".

Last edited:
If I may contribute without fanning any flames...

I believe this to be true of electric guitars - as long as the build quality is good enough to support good intonation, etc.
If you can set the thing up physically, then the pickups have much more say in the tone than the body.

The situation for acoustics is quite different though as it is all about the resonance - once the intonation, etc is sorted out.
With Martin, or Gibson acoustics you pay a premium for the name, but the extra quality is there.

An acoustic amplified with a pickup - for live performance - is more like an electric in that it's the pick-up that matters most.

If I may contribute without fanning any flames...

I believe this to be true of electric guitars - as long as the build quality is good enough to support good intonation, etc.
If you can set the thing up physically, then the pickups have much more say in the tone than the body.

The situation for acoustics is quite different though as it is all about the resonance - once the intonation, etc is sorted out.
With Martin, or Gibson acoustics you pay a premium for the name, but the extra quality is there.

An acoustic amplified with a pickup - for live performance - is more like an electric in that it's the pick-up that matters most.

Completely agree with all of this and I was sampling both acoustic amplified instruments on that day.

The Martin sounded fine/great by the way, but the Fender was set up beautifully and put through a Fender amp, and the guys at the shop had plenty of time to do their thing. The Martin no doubt had a factory set up and was quite new in that sense. At the end of the day it's easier for them to sell a 2k Fender combo ready to go than it is to sell Martin guitars worth twice that on their own needing set ups (as I suspect not too many Martin buyers would be happy with their instrument being played with.)
I think they were mainly interested in my opinion of the sound they had created with the Fender after hearing me play the Martin, is how the story ran that day.

Back to your point about electric guitars, and I once owned a top of the range Epiphone Les Paul copy that had 2 top EMG pick ups, that would rival Gibsons 5 times the price for sound once set up right.

The acoustic guitar situation is as you say and resonance is key, although set-ups do count for either nylon or steel stringed instruments and there is still the not so small matter of using different live microphones into PA's there or studio set ups where it's often best to run two lines amp/mic with acoustic electrics and not all guitars are suited to both requirements in the same dynamic way where not all instruments that sound great live do so in the studio too.

End of the day, choose wisely for what you are actually using the guitars for and don't just shop by brand is the way I look at it because the really pricey ones are still not perfect for every application.

Last edited:
End of the day, choose wisely for what you are actually using the guitars for and don't just shop by brand is the way I look at it because the really pricey ones are still not perfect for every application.

Well said. Plus of course there are bad Gibsons out there, and there are bad Fenders and everything else. My favourite acoustic is a 37-year-old Japanese model that was 2nd hand when I bought it. Doesn't look much, but the feel and sound are great. Still have it and it's aging delightfully.

I reckon you have to start with the type of music you want to play. Then the sound you want, then your ability, then where you are going to play. For example if you are mainly going to play with yourself in your bedroom, record or gig. Then your budget.

I've had a semi hollow Gibson for a couple of years which I love - great action, great sustain. I just recently got a Squier VM Jag cos i want the jangly trebly tremelo sound as well. BTW the Jag has gotta been one of the best value guitars I have ever played, and I was not previously a Squier fan at all. There are plenty of non Gibson/Fender/Martin brands out there that are great if you are prepared to look.

One of the best aspects these days is you can do plenty of research online - including youtube - before you set foot in a store. This is what I do all the time. Bearing in mind that you are listening to other people who often play very well, and through gear different to yours.

I reckon you have to start with the type of music you want to play. Then the sound you want, then your ability, then where you are going to play. For example if you are mainly going to play with yourself in your bedroom, record or gig. Then your budget.
Sorry, mate, but that just isn't going to improve your (guitar) chops!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I didn't even know there were off topics like this on Big Footy. Never noticed it before tonight.

I used to play a Hagstrom Super Swede for many years. It is really a Les Paul. Best looking guitar I have ever seen. But way too heavy (in weight).

Then I got a Jeff beck fender Strat. Wow what a difference. The necks are so different. And its so light (in weight).

I much prefer the neck on the Strat - much prefer but these things are personal preference stuff.

If you think that Jeff Beck is a good guitarist (and I think for me he is probably the best out there - again very subjective area) he has to play a Fender Strat. because he works over time on the Whammy bar to get his sound. Even though his music changing album Blow by Blow has him drawn on the cover of the album playing a Les Paul. Maybe he did use one for a few songs ?

Since then I have never seen him on a video playing anything else but a Strat.

With all the pedals and electronics out there now - the guitar choice is probably not so important as it once was.

Acoustic guitars - well that's an entirely different matter. The guitar choice is far more crucial IMO.

PS. You will usually pay a lot more for a Les Paul than a Fender Strat.
720x405-20140219-jeffbeck-x1800-1392846032.jpg

I didn't even know there were off topics like this on Big Footy. Never noticed it before tonight.

I used to play a Hagstrom Super Swede for many years. It is really a Les Paul. Best looking guitar I have ever seen. But way too heavy (in weight).

Then I got a Jeff beck fender Strat. Wow what a difference. The necks are so different. And its so light (in weight).

I much prefer the neck on the Strat - much prefer but these things are personal preference stuff.

If you think that Jeff Beck is a good guitarist (and I think for me he is probably the best out there - again very subjective area) he has to play a Fender Strat. because he works over time on the Whammy bar to get his sound. Even though his music changing album Blow by Blow has him drawn on the cover of the album playing a Les Paul. Maybe he did use one for a few songs ?

Since then I have never seen him on a video playing anything else but a Strat.

With all the pedals and electronics out there now - the guitar choice is probably not so important as it once was.

Acoustic guitars - well that's an entirely different matter. The guitar choice is far more crucial IMO.

PS. You will usually pay a lot more for a Les Paul than a Fender Strat.
720x405-20140219-jeffbeck-x1800-1392846032.jpg
I saw Jeff Beck at the Palais in Melbourne a couple of years ago. Now I am a great fan of guitar and play lots, but I'm not a great fan of watching a Steve Vai, Eric Johnson or Satriani concert, though they are all amazing guitarists.

Beck's was one of the best concerts I have ever seen, and I have seen many great groups over the years. I was mesmerised, and surprisingly he was quite chatty. Did not have Tal on bass but the standin was awesome, and drummer was the best I have ever seen live by a mile. Great show. His versatility shone through.

Yes he was playing the strat and was making it talk.

I saw Jeff Beck at the Palais in Melbourne a couple of years ago. Now I am a great fan of guitar and play lots, but I'm not a great fan of watching a Steve Vai, Eric Johnson or Satriani concert, though they are all amazing guitarists.

Beck's was one of the best concerts I have ever seen, and I have seen many great groups over the years. I was mesmerised, and surprisingly he was quite chatty. Did not have Tal on bass but the standin was awesome, and drummer was the best I have ever seen live by a mile. Great show. His versatility shone through.

Yes he was playing the strat and was making it talk.

Thanks - I have not seen him play live. But apparently he is going to tour soon with his latest album release. He will be 70 - wow.

If you think that Jeff Beck is a good guitarist (and I think for me he is probably the best out there - again very subjective area) he has to play a Fender Strat. because he works over time on the Whammy bar to get his sound. Even though his music changing album Blow by Blow has him drawn on the cover of the album playing a Les Paul. Maybe he did use one for a few songs?

To me, Jeff Beck is a good guitarist like Gary Ablett senior was a good footballer.

Regarding what guitars he has played over the years, to my knowledge he started in his Yardbirds days with a yellow Fender Telecaster. It's the same one Jimmy Page uses on very early Zeppelin clips (the famous 'Dazed and Confused' from Danish TV is one) - Beck gave it to him. He then used Les Pauls through the Jeff Beck Group up to and including Blow by Blow (another piece of trivia - the 'Ox blood' Les Paul he used is the same guitar George Harrison plays on the "Revolution" film clip). I think he moved to Strats by the time of Wired in 1976 and pretty sure he's stayed there since. That was about the time he stopped using a pick too.

if anyone is interested in hearing some mean irish blues, played masterfully on a beat to hell strat, get a copy of irish tour '74 by rory gallagher. live cd is great, but the film of the tour has slightly different takes and is incredible.

he was an amazing talent, and by all accounts one of musics true 'good guys'.

wow there is a guitar thread, who knew.

i just finished making a three string cigar box guitar, i put a fully fretted fret board on with a humbucker pickup and use it exclusively for dirty slide blues, but it has a surprising sound and is so easy to play i am going to make a couple more for the kids and teach them 3 string in open G before i move onto 6 string in E.

anyone made a guitar before? not just cigar box but full bodied electric or anything like that? i cant imagine making an acoustic as it would take years of stuffing around to get the tone and action right i reckon.

I've had a semi hollow Gibson for a couple of years which I love - great action, great sustain. I just recently got a Squier VM Jag cos i want the jangly trebly tremelo sound as well. BTW the Jag has gotta been one of the best value guitars I have ever played, and I was not previously a Squier fan at all. There are plenty of non Gibson/Fender/Martin brands out there that are great if you are prepared to look.

One of the best aspects these days is you can do plenty of research online - including youtube - before you set foot in a store. This is what I do all the time. Bearing in mind that you are listening to other people who often play very well, and through gear different to yours.
one of the best guitars i ever owned was a les paul knock off made by Pearl. i dont think they made them for long, but it was a fantastic unit. got flogged sadly, and no matter the insurance money, you can't really replace a guitar, especially one you get cheap that performs so well.

one of the best guitars i ever owned was a les paul knock off made by Pearl. i dont think they made them for long, but it was a fantastic unit. got flogged sadly, and no matter the insurance money, you can't really replace a guitar, especially one you get cheap that performs so well.
I have two exceptional guitarist mates I jam with regularly and they do not use strats or LPs as main axes, though they both have them in the arsenal. They say to find a guitar you like and stick with it regardless of name. One uses a Cargill the other I can't remember. I've had some lo-names and they were fine for where I was at. My view is it's no use paying thousands if you can't play the bloody thing. As you get better upgrade.

There was an article on (I think) Ultimate Guitar that referenced guys like EC, Gilmour, Vai and the like all playing on the the same gear and all finding their own distinctive and different sounds. The issue was not so much the gear but the way they played.

wow there is a guitar thread, who knew.

i just finished making a three string cigar box guitar, i put a fully fretted fret board on with a humbucker pickup and use it exclusively for dirty slide blues, but it has a surprising sound and is so easy to play i am going to make a couple more for the kids and teach them 3 string in open G before i move onto 6 string in E.

anyone made a guitar before? not just cigar box but full bodied electric or anything like that? i cant imagine making an acoustic as it would take years of stuffing around to get the tone and action right i reckon.
Lots of kits, lots of forums about. You can do various courses.

I reckon it's on my bucket list. As long as the end result does not sound like a bucket.

I have two exceptional guitarist mates I jam with regularly and they do not use strats or LPs as main axes, though they both have them in the arsenal. They say to find a guitar you like and stick with it regardless of name. One uses a Cargill the other I can't remember. I've had some lo-names and they were fine for where I was at. My view is it's no use paying thousands if you can't play the bloody thing. As you get better upgrade.

There was an article on (I think) Ultimate Guitar that referenced guys like EC, Gilmour, Vai and the like all playing on the the same gear and all finding their own distinctive and different sounds. The issue was not so much the gear but the way they played.
i recently sold a godin guitar. made by the same people that make the Seagull acoustics and it was fantastic value for money. My old man has a japanese built strat, which i believe happened for 1 year. they opened the factory, built a few thousand and shut it again. so it isn't the highly prized US built but it is an amazing machine. he just added a tele to his mix, which i have long loved the sound of. he also has a pedal steel guitar which i havent even tried to learn.

i broke my left index finger playing amateur footy about 10 years ago so haven't gigged since then as i just am not nimble enough as that finger doesnt bend enough for me to reach all the strings anymore so i just play to amuse myself these days.

i was sitting down with a mate at the start of the year back then and he said i should focus on one or the other, footy or music to see how far i could take it, and he said i should focus on footy for the fitness etc. and see if i could get up to the A grade level. 3rd game of the season with me actually training hard etc. and i do permanent damage to my finger, out of footy for months and can't do music properly anymore.

i recently sold a godin guitar. made by the same people that make the Seagull acoustics and it was fantastic value for money. My old man has a japanese built strat, which i believe happened for 1 year. they opened the factory, built a few thousand and shut it again. so it isn't the highly prized US built but it is an amazing machine. he just added a tele to his mix, which i have long loved the sound of. he also has a pedal steel guitar which i havent even tried to learn.

i broke my left index finger playing amateur footy about 10 years ago so haven't gigged since then as i just am not nimble enough as that finger doesnt bend enough for me to reach all the strings anymore so i just play to amuse myself these days.

i was sitting down with a mate at the start of the year back then and he said i should focus on one or the other, footy or music to see how far i could take it, and he said i should focus on footy for the fitness etc. and see if i could get up to the A grade level. 3rd game of the season with me actually training hard etc. and i do permanent damage to my finger, out of footy for months and can't do music properly anymore.
Well I am watching Archer (in my recovery from back injury) so I will quote that when I say "Holy shitsnacks!". You have had no luck.

I reckon the guitar I referred to that I could not remember may have been a Godin (not sure, I'l find out). Looks like a ES335. And yeah Seagull are very good acoustics.

Neighbour gave me an old MIJ strat from his shed to rebuild, and despite some wear and tear feels like it has been a really good guitar.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back