Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

call me cynical but i don’t think the smith experiment lasts particularly long. his first innings looked remarkably unimpressive & he’ll need an entire mindset shift to even have potential to do well as an opener, which this late in his career is unlikely (at least to me).

having 3 batsmen, 2 with potential question marks over their head capitulate against one of the worst test sides currently doesn’t bode well
I am worried that Smith has been over thinking the game in the last two years. Seems to always be stories about him tinkering with his batting or training to the point it seems like he is trying to fix something that is not there. The "needs a new challenge" has real alarm bells for me as far as another reason to over think things. Labuschange seems to be doing the same. They are strangling themselves looking for perfection.

I am worried that Smith has been over thinking the game in the last two years. Seems to always be stories about him tinkering with his batting or training to the point it seems like he is trying to fix something that is not there. The "needs a new challenge" has real alarm bells for me as far as another reason to over think things. Labuschange seems to be doing the same. They are strangling themselves looking for perfection.
absolutely agree. it's a shame that he'll basically stay there until he chooses to retire (at least from my perspective).

can’t help but feel amused that steve smith can’t open. it’s disappointing, but not surprising to me in the slightest.

this is such a disappointing top order
Australian cricket prefers to win than develop its own. Disappointing to not see much in the way of young batters. Feel Aussie cricket is going to need to punt on a younger guy than wait for someone to dominate and throw a hand up for selection.

Australian cricket prefers to win than develop its own. Disappointing to not see much in the way of young batters. Feel Aussie cricket is going to need to punt on a younger guy than wait for someone to dominate and throw a hand up for selection.
i certainly might be overstating what i know but i think that having george bailey be a chief selector will only hurt us more until all his mates retire. he'll keep on picking his friends (regardless of form: see david warner who has at best just... bad for the past few years) rather than picking the best player for the position. it says a lot that the youngest person in the side is cameron green, at 24, and the next youngest is like 29/30.

we're going to be in the s**t in the next 2-3 years.

i certainly might be overstating what i know but i think that having george bailey be a chief selector will only hurt us more until all his mates retire. he'll keep on picking his friends (regardless of form: see david warner who has at best just... bad for the past few years) rather than picking the best player for the position. it says a lot that the youngest person in the side is cameron green, at 24, and the next youngest is like 29/30.

we're going to be in the s**t in the next 2-3 years.
Its a bigger problem at the level below (Shield level, BBL level, ODD level) than Bailey picking his mates.

Its a bigger problem at the level below (Shield level, BBL level, ODD level) than Bailey picking his mates.
yeah i've caught a few games this season and it's just kind of s**t, but i don't think it really helps that there's little incentive to put your best effort into shield games when there's a slim chance of getting picked over someone playing out of their position (ie smith).

i'm also personally still not sold on cam green, he's got the potential, sure, but he's been so unimpressive in this series (mind you it's only 2 innings out of a possible 3) but even before he was dropped for mitch marsh he just didn't do it for me.

yeah i've caught a few games this season and it's just kind of s**t, but i don't think it really helps that there's little incentive to put your best effort into shield games when there's a slim chance of getting picked over someone playing out of their position (ie smith).

i'm also personally still not sold on cam green, he's got the potential, sure, but he's been so unimpressive in this series (mind you it's only 2 innings out of a possible 3) but even before he was dropped for mitch marsh he just didn't do it for me.
agreed, I do wonder how much Bancroft has been banished because of the Sandpaper bull* ?

It would have been so easy to bring Cameron in and keep an already struggling Smith at 4, we now have a struggling Smith at the top and a struggling Green at 4. Staggers me

I hope we see some new talent soon because even when Smith goes, Khawaja aint far behin, Mitch Marsh is already 32, Alex Carey is sneakily 32 and a half, Travis Head was always the young gun but he's snuck up on everyone and has hit 30. Obviously not all are going to move on in the next 24 months but form, generational change, it will all come into it with not much to come through in that 22 - 25 year old batting ranks. The next guys are already nearing 30 (Renshaw is 27 iirc),

agreed, I do wonder how much Bancroft has been banished because of the Sandpaper bull* ?

It would have been so easy to bring Cameron in and keep an already struggling Smith at 4, we now have a struggling Smith at the top and a struggling Green at 4. Staggers me

I hope we see some new talent soon because even when Smith goes, Khawaja aint far behin, Mitch Marsh is already 32, Alex Carey is sneakily 32 and a half, Travis Head was always the young gun but he's snuck up on everyone and has hit 30. Obviously not all are going to move on in the next 24 months but form, generational change, it will all come into it with not much to come through in that 22 - 25 year old batting ranks. The next guys are already nearing 30 (Renshaw is 27 iirc),
publicly they're on "good terms" but bancroft did have an article talking about it a while back (i think it's this one but i might be misremembering) wherein he essentially implies that "why was it us three who got in trouble, surely the bowling cartel (as they're called) were in on it too - which i completely agree with. if you have some ball tampering going on, your bowlers have to know what the go is lol.

as skeptical as i am of green, i'd much rather have him in the side now, while he's still young instead of stacking it with more 30 year olds (bancroft himself is 31), which'll cause more issues for our future. i completely agree with the rest though, the future might be fairly grim.

i was also keen to see lance morris play, and i was disappointed to see that he wasn't picked in any of the tests, i can understand maybe not picking him in this game, but when we were 2 up verses pakistan, why not make some team changes, give some of the players on the outer a game and use that as a way to pass some judgement in an environment that isn't high pressure (like a close ashes series)

I love how whenever these RWNJ's bag the s**t out of Pat for having a socially aware opinion, he stands up and just plays unbelievable cricket with either bat or ball

I think they should have played Bancroft but the reason they did not is simple. They rate Green and want him in the side. Nothing to do with the so called "Bailey picking his mates" theme. As far as players being 30 my view is it is not the same as footy and as long as you do not get a group of players leaving at the same time it is not a major issue. Warner goes this year. Khawaja is not in decline yet. Neither is Marsh so it is very likely we will get two more years out of both.
I think Smith has basically ****ed around with his game looking for the answer when there was no answer needed and he is now paying the price and I do not think it would have been any different if he stayed at 4. Manus is going down the same road.
The other issue is most of the so called young stars average around 35.
I would have played Bancroft and left Green out.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

fantastic end to the test, good to see WI win even if it was at our sake.

still bothers me that we declared while we down by 20 runs, we mightn't have gotten in front but it certainly makes me question the decision
Lots of ifs over a long form match...if only Head had of made 9 runs in the match.

Lots of ifs over a long form match...if only Head had of made 9 runs in the match.
going out for a pair is never good, but a kings pair is pretty shocking given his recent run of form.

hindsight is never a good indicator but declaring when he did (being down 20 runs) just doesn't make sense to me. there's obviously no guarantee that we would've gotten in front, but given that cummins was on 60 odd he should've just unleashed and made as many as possible before going out.

alas, hats off to them, they came in as the underdogs and left the winner. that's all that matters now, beyond an assessment into what went wrong for us.

going out for a pair is never good, but a kings pair is pretty shocking given his recent run of form.

hindsight is never a good indicator but declaring when he did (being down 20 runs) just doesn't make sense to me. there's obviously no guarantee that we would've gotten in front, but given that cummins was on 60 odd he should've just unleashed and made as many as possible before going out.

alas, hats off to them, they came in as the underdogs and left the winner. that's all that matters now, beyond an assessment into what went wrong for us.
It gave them 2 cracks at the top order...once at the end of play and the following morning, with a new ball. They got one wicket but would have backed them selves to do better and make inroads. Oh well...Captains can look genius when they get it right and silly if they get it wrong. The Windies won that little battle at that time and deserved to win. Well done to them.

Last edited:
Starc averages something stupid under lights. It was absolutely the right decision to declare when we did. If Starc bowled to his average (under lights) people wouldn't have an issue.

Sucks we didn't win but lets give credit to the Windies they put in a shift to not only get back in the test but to win the match was something special.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back