Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Jeez this is riveting. I reckon 200 will be tough to chase on this pitch.

Aamir Jamal can play

It is a rollercoaster...with both sides having their share of getting on top. Partnership here and it is back Pakistan's way..it feels only minutes ago Australia had the momentum with those first 2 wickets.
I reckon if these two can survive Cummins they're on top. How often have I said that this series though?

Dumb by Lab there

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Steve Smith being shoved to opener to accommodate Green in the middle order is a terrible idea. I don't watch cricket as religiously as others, but Smith doesn't seem to me to be great against the new pill with fresh opening bowlers, especially as his eye isn't as good as it used to be.
smith's objectively one of the best cricketers in the modern era, but he'll be a liability at 1. his form's been down since the ashes ended (maybe even before, i don't really remember tbh) and it'll only compound his issues since opening is far more difficult than batting at 4. i also don't rate cameron green as a number 4 either.

If Smith gets even a little out of form, it puts pressure on everyone in the middle order, because Smith will go back there before they drop him. Everyone knows he's a better middle order batsman than opener.

smith's objectively one of the best cricketers in the modern era, but he'll be a liability at 1. his form's been down since the ashes ended (maybe even before, i don't really remember tbh) and it'll only compound his issues since opening is far more difficult than batting at 4. i also don't rate cameron green as a number 4 either.
eth-dog correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I read Green averages 50 odd at 4 for WA.

eth-dog correct me if I'm wrong but I'm sure I read Green averages 50 odd at 4 for WA.
His FC stats without test cricket: 2386 runs, average 56.8, 8 centuries, 7 fifties; 40 wickets, average 31.35, SR 60.65, ER 3.1, 3x 5-fors

He's batted anywhere between 4 and 8 for WA though

Do not understand the anxiety about Smith moving up the order. Khawaja made the change at about the same age as did Katich. Both excelled. Head did it well in India. Even Pukovski played just half a shield season in the role before getting a gig for Australia.

It's just not a big deal as long as the player wants to do it.

He wants to do it and Green is probably top 4 batsmen in the country if he's playing at 4, absent the pressure to take the game forward at 6. It can't be held against him that he's not been able to play Shield cricket to prove the point although he has played 2 FC innings this season for 96 and 46.

The best 5 players in the country are batting 1 to 5. 4 are in position and arguably our second best player ever want to open and will likely excel. Marsh in this form is probably the best 6 in the country even if not strictly speaking in the top 6 players in terms or his total batting talent.

It's the right call because it's about Green more than anything.

Do not understand the anxiety about Smith moving up the order. Khawaja made the change at about the same age as did Katich. Both excelled. Head did it well in India. Even Pukovski played just half a shield season in the role before getting a gig for Australia.

It's just not a big deal as long as the player wants to do it.

He wants to do it and Green is probably top 4 batsmen in the country if he's playing at 4, absent the pressure to take the game forward at 6. It can't be held against him that he's not been able to play Shield cricket to prove the point although he has played 2 FC innings this season for 96 and 46.

The best 5 players in the country are batting 1 to 5. 4 are in position and arguably our second best player ever want to open and will likely excel. Marsh in this form is probably the best 6 in the country even if not strictly speaking in the top 6 players in terms or his total batting talent.

It's the right call because it's about Green more than anything.
i'm of the opinion that it sends the wrong message to younger players (talking like rep juniors) that, even if you do well (as the best opener in the shield, at least from what i have read) and you still can't get picked, then what's the point in trying to play test cricket and representing your country? you can earn more money being a t20 merchant across the world, and that's better than wallowing away in 2nds cricket doing the best you can for no reason beyond "not being one of the boys"

i'm sure that smith will do fine (this innings not withstanding) but the messaging is all wrong.

call me cynical but i don’t think the smith experiment lasts particularly long. his first innings looked remarkably unimpressive & he’ll need an entire mindset shift to even have potential to do well as an opener, which this late in his career is unlikely (at least to me).

having 3 batsmen, 2 with potential question marks over their head capitulate against one of the worst test sides currently doesn’t bode well

Remove this Banner Ad

Back