Sport The Hangar Cricket Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

The English fans whining about the run rate is hilarious.

Like anyone with any basic knowledge of test cricket would know that with England being a bowler down (Ali), grinding down the bowlers now will allow us to tire them out and score freely later.

But apparently it's because we are trying to draw the test by batting long....

The contrast in styles is fascinating. I like that we’re not getting sucked into their style of play. Beneath the hubris, it must be terribly frustrating for the English that we won’t have a bar of it.

The key here is Head and Marsh coming in next.

If Ussie and Smith can get through the next session, Head and Marsh will get the benefit of a tired attack with the sun out later on, that's when we can cash in on the runs.

The series has certainly breathed some life back into test match cricket, at least in Australia and England, where it's getting large TV audiences (on top of packed crowds), a hell of a lot of air play, and general conversation.

Drawn series, we retain the Ashes. The Poms can say what the want but facts are 2-0 is a long way to come back from, especially in a country known for it's dodgy weather. Having said that, the dodgy weather that cost them a chance of winning the 4th test gave them the best of the bowling conditions across the series (combined with a very generous as-new replacement ball last night).

I hope a lesson has been learned about our short pitched bowling plan. It might have it's place but it's the exception and not the rule.

So, has England outplayed Australia yet?

I think England did outplay Australia in the series but they were their own worst enemy. The 1st test declaration arguably cost them a win or draw, and batting for so long in the 4th test I believe definitely cost them a chance at a win.

Win either of those or draw the first test, win the series.

The only test where Australia clearly won on our terms was the 2nd test, and even then a Stokes masterclass in playing short pitched bowling almost snatched it.

You can't underestimate the impact of Woakes and Wood either both with the ball but also the lower order contributions with the bat.

I think it's fair to say it was a very even series. Both won two tight games and England had the better of the drawn game.

People also need to remember how hard it is to win away from home.

Since 1980 we've only won a series in England 4 times and they were back to back (to back to back) when England were a very ordinary test match nation and we were building through the AB and Taylor eras into the Waugh years. Conversely England have only won twice here in the same time, both when we were ordinary at the start of the AB era and the end of the Ponting era.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stokes asking for a review when he knew he didn't complete the catch was extraordinary, especially in light of their spirit of the game™ carry on.

Got a bit unlucky with the timing of the rain delays plus the replacement ball in this test but overall 2-2 seems about right.
not shocked by it tbh, likely a way to get the attention away from him dropping an easy one lol

I guess I haven’t watched too many away Ashes series before because this one has left a sour taste in my mouth. I can handle a drawn series on paper, but I now have real contempt for a few of the English players and their coach. Is there a more punchable head than “Baz”’s?

I’d genuinely prefer to go back to feeling indifferent about them but after how they’ve conducted themselves through the whole series, it’s too hard.

At least they don’t get to take the urn away. That would’ve been painful.

I wonder if he left Vic to play on the batter friendly pitch in SA which will probably will help with his aggressive style, although the junction is mostly a road. Maybe more opportunity. Going to be very hit or miss until he really matures, with how hard he goes.
CV told him to shape up or ship out. Put a lot of noses out of joint with his attitude.

The South African batting lineup is potent.

Australia won't make it to the final 4. you heard it here first

Saffers, New Zealand, England, India with Pakistan the (real) dark horse
That's far from an outrageous statement, we don't seem quite on this tournament. Time will tell if we can turn it around.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back