Movies & TV The Hangar Film Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Was Panic Room any good?

Saw it when it came out, so stretching my memory. I liked it at the time, but didn't think it was great. Better than Alien³, but not as good as Se7en, Fight Club or The Game, in my opinion. Might be time for me to watch again.

Zodiac is another one I didn't think was great. Won't say why though in case you haven't seen it. ;)

Alien 3 was a massive bucket of pus.
Eh. Pretty much, but I think it's better than the two that have come along since.
Have you seen the... well, not the director's cut, Fincher disowned it too heavily even for that. Let's call it Alien 3: The Un-Butchering. It becomes a legitimately good film, even nudging towards the first two.

Haven't seen the alternate cut of Alien 3... I think. Hard to remember what version I saw. But I might give the alternate cuts a whirl one day. TBH, the only one I really like is the original.

Zodiac is another one I didn't think was great.

Blasphemer. One of the best films of the '00s.

Although I think The Social Network is his absolute masterpiece. And maybe the most important film of its time.

Haven't seen the alternate cut of Alien 3... I think. Hard to remember what version I saw. But I might give the alternate cuts a whirl one day. TBH, the only one I really like is the original.

Although I think The Social Network is his absolute masterpiece. And maybe the most important film of its time.
Hmmm Hmmm

Have you seen the... well, not the director's cut, Fincher disowned it too heavily even for that. Let's call it Alien 3: The Un-Butchering. It becomes a legitimately good film, even nudging towards the first two.

Oh come on.. really?

I honestly think I'm too scarred by it to ever give it another chance. I hated it that much. I'd rather forget it exists.

I will admit that I sometimes need a re-watch to fully appreciate a movie. For example, while I liked The Departed the first time I saw it, I enjoyed it a lot more when I saw it a few years later. I'll give Zodiac another go.

Has anyone else seen Safety Not Guaranteed? Watched it on the weekend and thought it was quite good. I saw Snowpiercer a couple of weeks ago and didn't enjoy that so much.

They lost me when the Queen or whatever holds the kid ransom like she's Edward G. Robinson or something. Feh.

Agreed, not to mention going back for the kid, but not attempting to save the soldiers earlier. And provoking the queen by blowing up the eggs when the whole place was about to blow anyway.

Just an enjoyable popcorn flick in my opinion.

Agreed, not to mention going back for the kid, but not attempting to save the soldiers earlier. And provoking the queen by blowing up the eggs when the whole place was about to blow anyway.

Just an enjoyable popcorn flick in my opinion.
Don't remember the kid being held for ransom/hostage? She was put in the birthing wall wasn't she? Going back for the kid was the mother/daughter subtext and I don't think blowing up the eggs was meant to provoke. More just making sure, maybe slowing the queen down to give them more of a head start?

Has anyone else seen Safety Not Guaranteed? Watched it on the weekend and thought it was quite good.

Yeah, it's a neat little film.

The director's next film is Jurassic World... so a nice little budget leap to work with there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't remember the kid being held for ransom/hostage? She was put in the birthing wall wasn't she? Going back for the kid was the mother/daughter subtext and I don't think blowing up the eggs was meant to provoke. More just making sure, maybe slowing the queen down to give them more of a head start?

I understand why she went back for the girl, but Ripley was the one who told the marines not to try to save the captured soldiers. Also, in the theatrical release they took out the mother/daughter stuff so it didn't make as much sense.

I'm pretty sure blowing up s**t antagonised the queen, it was the only reason the queen detached from the egg sac and chased them. It was obviously done to move the story onto having the queen on the main ship in the final battle.

I understand why she went back for the girl, but Ripley was the one who told the marines not to try to save the captured soldiers.

But they were marines. They signed up for that s**t. Noot was just a widdle girl.

Also, in the theatrical release they took out the mother/daughter stuff so it didn't make as much sense.

Oh yeah that's right. I liked the directors cut. Certainly provided that context and the stuff with the auto remote machine gun thingies was cool. Helped build the tension.

I'm pretty sure blowing up s**t antagonised the queen, it was the only reason the queen detached from the egg sac and chased them. It was obviously done to move the story onto having the queen on the main ship in the final battle.

Oh yeah no doubt it antagonised the queen but I don't think Ripley was doing it to antagonise just to "wipe them out". She'd finally come across the source of all the misery in her life since the happenings on the Nostromo (or so she thought). Maybe she wouldn't have even been aware that detachment from the egg sac was an option..? but yeah from a plot pov obviously was done to get the queen back to the Sulaco.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back