Health & Fitness The Hangar Meat Head Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

What is this 30 minute squat hold thing you speak of?

It's doing an air squat and holding at the bottom (passive) for a total of 30 minutes a day (not continuously). It's supposed to help you develop your squat position and help with hip & ankle mobility.

Doubtful I'll be gyming tomorrow. Can barely hold my phone with my finger the way it is. I am getting the feeling it is now a gout flare up (thanks dad). Have never had it in this joint before but all the signs are there to say it is gout.

It's doing an air squat and holding at the bottom (passive) for a total of 30 minutes a day (not continuously). It's supposed to help you develop your squat position and help with hip & ankle mobility.

Interesting, I'll look into it.

Only made it to gym 5 times last week :( but had a hens night on Saturday in town, my hammies were wrecked from Fridays session as well haha.

Friday (legs/hammies)

5 minute warm up on the cardio stepper
4 x 6-12 reverse hack squats (64.5kg, 104.5kg, 144.5kg, 64.5kg)
4 x 10 stiff legged deadlifts (20kg, 40kg, 50kg, 20kg)
3 x 8-12 hamstring curls (20kg, 25kg, 32kg)
3 x 10 good mornings (20kg, 20kg, 20kg)
3 x 8 (each leg) kettlebell one legged deadlift (8kg, 12kg, 12kg)
10 minute warm down on a powerfit (wobble) board.

Sunday (arms)

4 x 7-15 barbell bicep curls (20kg, 25kg, 30kg, 20kg)
^ supersetted with: 4 x 30-45 seconds bicep plate hold (5kg, 10kg, 10kg, 5kg)
3 x 8 tricep kickback (5kg, 5kg, 5kg)
^ supersetted with 3 x 10 tricep overhead extensions (12kg, 12kg, 12kg)
2 x 8 (quadruple drop set) dumbbell bicep curls (14kg, 10kg, 8kg, 5kg)
3 x 12 tricep bench dips (bodyweight)
^ supersetted with 3 x 10-12 cable bicep curls (5kg, 7.5kg, 7.5kg)

Interesting, I'll look into it.

Only made it to gym 5 times last week :( but had a hens night on Saturday in town, my hammies were wrecked from Fridays session as well haha.

Friday (legs/hammies)

4 x 6-12 reverse hack squats (64.5kg, 104.5kg, 144.5kg, 64.5kg)
3 x 8-12 hamstring curls (20kg, 25kg, 32kg)
3 x 10 good mornings (20kg, 20kg, 20kg)
3 x 8 (each leg) kettlebell one legged deadlift (8kg, 12kg, 12kg)

Sunday (arms)

4 x 7-15 barbell bicep curls (20kg, 25kg, 30kg, 20kg)
^ supersetted with: 4 x 30-45 seconds bicep plate hold (5kg, 10kg, 10kg, 5kg)
^ supersetted with 3 x 10 tricep overhead extensions (12kg, 12kg, 12kg)
2 x 8 (quadruple drop set) dumbbell bicep curls (14kg, 10kg, 8kg, 5kg)
3 x 12 tricep bench dips (bodyweight)
^ supersetted with 3 x 10-12 cable bicep curls (5kg, 7.5kg, 7.5kg)

Is there any particular reason you train 6 times a week?

Hey guys. I have managed to get a bit fat with all the drinking, eating and not training. I've had a few issues with bursitis in my shoulder, tennis elbow as well as life stuff which has seen me step away from the gym and regular weekend sport. I'll need to watch the weights and I have a history of sort tissue injuries while running/ playing sport. Probably need to lose about 20-25kg. I've given myself 4 months.

The plan is to follow this routine 5-6 days a week using compound exercises and a bike on a wind-trainer for the cardio:

10min warm-up on bike
5min HIT
10min lifting (push/pull)
5min HIT
5min HIT
10min core/ legs
5 cool down/ stretch

Push= chest/ shoulders/ tri
Pull= Back/ arms
Legs= legs
HIT= repeated bike sprints/ rest then repeat
Gym work alternated to hopefully allow a rest for muscle groups.

Thoughts?

Anyone else read this thread title as the ''Metal Head Thread IV'' only to look closer and it says ''Meat Head Thread IV'', and you keep thinking it's about actual meat? I've done this multiple times.

Nope? Just me? I'll show myself out :p

Hey guys. I have managed to get a bit fat with all the drinking, eating and not training. I've had a few issues with bursitis in my shoulder, tennis elbow as well as life stuff which has seen me step away from the gym and regular weekend sport. I'll need to watch the weights and I have a history of sort tissue injuries while running/ playing sport. Probably need to lose about 20-25kg. I've given myself 4 months.

The plan is to follow this routine 5-6 days a week using compound exercises and a bike on a wind-trainer for the cardio:

10min warm-up on bike
5min HIT
5min HIT
5min HIT
10min core/ legs
5 cool down/ stretch

Push= chest/ shoulders/ tri
Pull= Back/ arms
Legs= legs
HIT= repeated bike sprints/ rest then repeat
Gym work alternated to hopefully allow a rest for muscle groups.

Thoughts?

Reading that break down hurts my head
Is everything you've written being in a single session 5-6 times a week?

Reading that break down hurts my head
Is everything you've written being in a single session 5-6 times a week?
Yep.

But alternating muscle groups, so for example:

Monday
10 minutes warm-up
5 HIT
10 minutes chest( push-ups, dips, bench)
5 HIT
10 minutes shoulders (press, lateral raises etc)
5 HIT
10 core
cool down

Tuesday
10 minutes warm-up
5 HIT
10 minutes back (chins, rows, lat pull down etc)
5 HIT
10 minutes back/ arms (curls, more back)
5 HIT
10 legs (squats, deads, lunges)
cool down

Yep.

But alternating muscle groups, so for example:

Monday
10 minutes warm-up
5 HIT
10 minutes chest( push-ups, dips, bench)
5 HIT
10 minutes shoulders (press, lateral raises etc)
5 HIT
10 core
cool down

Tuesday
10 minutes warm-up
5 HIT
10 minutes back (chins, rows, lat pull down etc)
5 HIT
10 minutes back/ arms (curls, more back)
5 HIT
10 legs (squats, deads, lunges)
cool down

My 2c - train whole body each day to begin with, keep your warm up and cool down the same but otherwise do all your lifting before HIT
Eg
1) 10 minute warm up (not sure what you're doing for warm up, but if it's just on a cardio machine you can reduce it to 3-5 minutes)
2) lower body push exercise (squats) 3*15
3) upper body push exercise (dips or incline bench press) 3*15 (use a machine or do push ups if you can't do bw dips)
4) lower body pull exercise (Romanian deadlift) 3*15
5) upper body pull exercise (chest supported row or seated cable row) 3*15
6) HIIT/core: use Tabata (20 seconds @ high intensity followed by 10 seconds @ low intensity for 8 rounds/4 minutes) then do a set of core/trunk work, do another Tabata etc for ~3 times total. My recommendation for the trunk exercise is a dead bug

If time is an issue superset the lower body exercise with the upper eg squat/dip superset (if your rows aren't chest supported though superset them after squats as your back will fry doing deads and unsupported rows back to back).
Start with the lowest weights possible for all the weight training exercises (even starting with DB goblet squats before moving onto barbell squats), and add the minimal amount of weight possible between each workout (this is where a plate loaded row is preferable to a cable)
This will give your body plenty of time to adapt, and even adding 2.5kg each workout you get a progression of 15kg/week if you're going 6 times
At some point adding 2.5kg each session every day will become impossible.
At that point you can either do alternating upper body and lower body weight training days, or just continue to do full body but every second day with the inbetween days being dedicated to HIIT/cardio

Is there any particular reason you train 6 times a week?

Mainly because at the moment I'm breaking my leg days into two (quads/hamstrings).

As my split is legs (quads), arms (bi's/tri's), shoulders, legs (hammies), back and chest.

I forgot to post my shoulder workout from Monday and I'm struggling to remember it so I'll skip that one :p

Tuesday (legs/quads)

2 minute warm up on the cross trainer (the cardio stepper was taken, boo)
4 x 8-15 barbell back squats (20kg, 40kg, 60kg, 70kg)
3 x 6-10 barbell front squats (20kg, 30kg, 40kg)
^ supersetted with 3 x 8 narrow stance squats on smith machine (20kg, 20kg, 20kg)
3 x 12 leg extensions (33kg, 47kg, 61kg)
3 x 8 (each leg) lunges holding one plate each side (10kg, 10kg, 10kg)
^ supersetted with 3 x 12 calf raises on hack squat (64kg, 64kg, 64kg)

2nd Feb, 2017. Workout B
Squat - 5x5 @ 37.5kg
Deadlift - 1x5 @ 62.5kg
Military Press - 5x5 @ 20kg
Bent Over Row - 5x5 @ 35kg
Assisted Dip - 3x8 @ 36kg
Barbell Curl - 3x8 @ 17.5kg
Calf Press (leg press machine) - 3x8 @ 65kg
Decline Crunch - 2x10

Felt good to get back today. Finger still a bit of an issue but it's manageable. Can probably move up weights next session with the exception of Military Press, which I struggled with.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Monday - max effort upper body
Main movement
1. Pin Press (high) - 40kg*5, 60kg*3, 80kg*1, 100kg*1, 115kg*1, 130kg*1, 135kg*1, 140kg*1
Supplemental movement
2. DB press (flat bench) - 60kg*12, 10, 8, 40kg*20
Accessories
3. EZ bar extension with plates starting on floor 3*6, 1*20
4. Underhand grip BB row 3*10
5. Banded chicken wings 1*30
6. Seated DB press 3*12, 1*20

Wednesday - max effort lower body
Main movement
1. Wide stance deadlift + red bands (80kg) - 60kg*5, 100kg*3, 140kg*1, 160kg*1, 180kg*1 (lost my grip at lockout, otherwise it was quite easy)
Supplemental movement
2. 5cm deficit deadlift - 100kg*5, 145kg*5, 5, 4
Accessories
3. Reverse hyper 1*25
4. SSB split squat drop set 2*6/6/6
5. Straight arm band pull down s/s KB pullover 3*10, 1*20
6. Seated band hip abduction ISO hold 1*max time

Friday - dynamic effort upper body
Main movement
1. Bench press + pink bands (20kg) - 20kg*5, 40kg*3*3, 45kg*3*3, 50kg*3*3
Supplemental movement
2. Incline barbell press - 40kg*10, 60kg*10, 8, 8, 40kg*16
Accessories
3. EZ bar extension with plates starting on floor 3*6, 1*20
4. Underhand grip barbell rows against bands 3*10
5. Band pull apart ISO-hold 1*max time (we all went at the same time to see who could go the longest)
6. Face pulls 4*12
7. Hammer bicep curls w/rope (looped through KB) 3*12, 1*20

Notes
+ my training week revolves around squats on Saturday so I'll include them in next weeks' post
+ didn't intend to do 12,10,8 on DB press Monday - just turned out that way lol
+ banded chicken wings are the video at the bottom - great for improving upper back strength in a postural specific position (although I think posture is overrated as a predictor of shoulder injury, improving scapulohumeral and thoracic rhythm is still important)
+ bit annoyed I dropped the 180kg deadlift but hopefully it's just because I've been sleeping/eating poorly the past fortnight. I foresee some timed hold challenges for the crew in the future though if it doesn't improve lol. My bar at home is also harder to hold onto than the one(s) we use in comps
+ adapting to deficit deadlifts quite quickly - increased weight by 5kg and got an extra 3 reps over 3 sets (and didn't use straps this week). Suggests I should probably stick to the same accessory movements for a bit longer rather than making most of them up on the day lol
+ had 4 people in on Friday which was good as we could go in pairs (2 people lifting, 2 people changing plates) to keep rest periods super short on our main movement. Will likely use the same weights next week but add a small chain (~10kg) to increase accomodating resistance
+ incline bench was pretty brutal, the final rep of the final set at 60kg took me about 8 seconds to complete. Will work with 65kg next week

My lats are still burning from Wednesday, rest day today which will be nice but I'm going to walk home from work so I at least can some kind of activity in.

Wednesday (back)

5 minute warm up on the stair master
3 x 5-7 bw wide grip pull ups
4 x 10 barbell rows (20kg, 40kg, 50kg, 20kg)
3 x 8-12 wide grip lat pull downs (33kg, 47kg, 57kg)
3 x 8 narrow grip lat pull downs (26kg, 33kg, 40kg)
3 x 8-12 seated high rows (20kg, 40kg, 60kg)
3 x 12 cable back thing a ma jigs (5kg, 7.5kg, 7.5kg)

Thursday (chest)

5 minute warm up on the stair master
4 x 10-12 dumbbell chest press (12kg, 18kg, 20kg, 22kg)
3 x 8-10 dumbbell chest flys (6kg, 9kg, 10kg)
3 x 8-12 machine flys (33kg, 40kg, 47kg)
3 x 8-10 machine chest press (40kg, 40kg, 40kg)

5th Feb, 2017. Workout A
Squat - 5x5 @ 40kg
Bench - 5x5 @ 35kg
Bent Over Row - 5x5 @ 40kg
Barbell Shrug - 3x8 @ 45kg
Tricep Pushdown - 3x8 @ 16.25kg
Hyperextensions - 2x10 @ 3kg
Roman Chair Knee Raise - 2x10

Wasn't planning on increasing bench today. Wasn't really feeling it when I arrived but I got through squats ok and just thought "why not?". Felt really good after it.

I think I'm going to have a few days off this week, I've been doing 5/6 days for 6 weeks straight now and I'm pretty sure my body is telling me to rest as my muscles are starting to feel broken.

Saturday (legs/hammies)

3 x 6-12 reverse hack squats (64.5kg, 104.5kg, 144.5kg)
3 x 8 sumo deadlifts on smith machine (9kg, 29kg, 29kg)
3 x 12 hamstring curls (20kg, 25kg, 20kg)
3 x 8 (each leg) kettlebell one legged deadlift (8kg, 8kg, 8kg)

Sunday (arms)

4 x 8-15 barbell bicep curls (20kg, 25kg, 30kg, 20kg)
^ supersetted with: 4 x 30-45 seconds bicep plate hold (5kg, 10kg, 5kg, 5kg)
^ supersetted with 3 x 10 skull crushers (10kg, 15kg, 17.5kg)
3 x 8-12 dumbbell bicep curls (8kg, 12kg, 14kg)
3 x 10 tricep bench dips (bodyweight)
3 x 10 - 12 cable hammer curls (10kg, 12kg, 15kg)
^ supersetted with 3 x 10-12 cable tricep pull downs (5kg, 7.5kg, 7.5kg)
3 x 10-12 cable bicep curls (5kg, 7.5kg, 7.5kg)

7th Feb, 2017. Workout B
Squat - 5x5 @ 40kg
Deadlift - 1x5 @ 62.5kg
Military Press - 5x5 @ 20kg
Bent Over Row - 5x5 @ 35kg
Assisted Dip - 3x8 @ 36kg
Calf Press (leg press machine) - 3x8 @ 70kg
Decline Crunch - 2x10

Really flat today. Felt weak from the get go. Form with bent over row was poor, kept having to tell myself to tuck the elbows in. Got through it ok. Felt I should've done better.

At least you went and made the effort! I have those days as well!

I did shoulders last night, didn't go on Monday as I'm trying to have a bit of a break this week.

I won't post my whole workout as I can't remember everything exact but I did manage 20kg dumbbell shoulder presses last night again for 6 :D

Did my first rope climb last night, finally have the strength to hang on while I move my legs up.

I've always wanted to try this but my gym doesn't have the facilities :(

I've always wanted to try this but my gym doesn't have the facilities :(

It's a lot harder than it looks! Need strength in the shoulders and grip as well as the technique to use your legs properly. Was pretty pumped!

It's a lot harder than it looks! Need strength in the shoulders and grip as well as the technique to use your legs properly. Was pretty pumped!

Yeah it's like when I tried rock climbing at the start of the year, looks a lot easier then it is haha.

I can do unassisted pull ups so I thought rock climbing should be easy, but my finger strength wasn't so good.

This was the only one I could get up and man it was hard, took me a few shots :oops:

If you can do pull ups unassisted you should be ok, as it's easier to grip the rope than those wall climb thingys. I'm still working on pullups, just got a quote for a steel bar to go out the back to practice on, fifty bucks plus what ever it'll cost to powder coat (if I can be bothered getting that done). If you're looking to try rope climbs, search for the nearest crossfit place to you, they usually have them.

If you can do pull ups unassisted you should be ok, as it's easier to grip the rope than those wall climb thingys. I'm still working on pullups, just got a quote for a steel bar to go out the back to practice on, fifty bucks plus what ever it'll cost to powder coat (if I can be bothered getting that done). If you're looking to try rope climbs, search for the nearest crossfit place to you, they usually have them.

Yeah we have a crossfit in the next town, I wanted to join but it's about $130 per month which I just can't afford right now :(

Yeah I started off doing negative pull ups and worked my way up to unassisted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back