Health & Fitness The Hangar Meat Head Thread IV

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah we have a crossfit in the next town, I wanted to join but it's about $130 per month which I just can't afford right now :(

Yeah I started off doing negative pull ups and worked my way up to unassisted.

They might do single sessions, some of them do anyway.

Thats what I'm working on, once I have the bar I have the following to do every day:

3 x 60s passive hang, 60s rest after.
3 x 3 jumping underhand chin up, 3s hold at top, 5s eccentric, 3s rest at bottom
10 x 5 active kips, more shoulder than hips.

Yeah it's like when I tried rock climbing at the start of the year, looks a lot easier then it is haha.

I can do unassisted pull ups so I thought rock climbing should be easy, but my finger strength wasn't so good.

This was the only one I could get up and man it was hard, took me a few shots :oops:

Sneaky IG plug? :p

Sneaky IG plug? :p

Haha noooo, it's the only available video I had from my work computer!

So hot here today, not liking my chances of getting out. I'm just dead set wrecked from sitting at work all day.

Yep I didn't go yesterday or I won't be going tonight (41 degrees here), it's ok though as I wanted to have a rest week this week.

Ended up going, but the universe seemed to be looking after me. I got there and there were 3 people in there, using the squat rack, power rack and bench press. I took it as a bit of a sign to have a bit of a lighter night but to concentrate on accessory work

9th Feb 2017, light workout
Incline dumbell press
- 3x8 @ 12kg
Assisted dips - 3x8 @ 37.5kg
Machine row - 3x8 @ 33kg
Tricep rope pull downs - 3x8 @ 16.25kg
Barbell curl - 3x8 @ 17.5kg
Leg Press - 3x8 @ 65kg
Calf press - 3x8 @ 70kg

Glad I went in the end. Although it wasn't really a planned workout, I felt I really managed to hit my triceps hard, which is why I think my military press has struggled so far; lack of tricep strength.

Oh, and here is proof of how hot it is here
806a2132f17f3d22beb5833a8788a4e2.jpg

This was today
021460a93d2f0c6e95909bb41f9bb5db.jpg

And this was last night

Last edited:
Saturday - dynamic effort lower body
Main movement
1. SSB box squat + purple bands (40kg) - 20kg*5, 60kg*3, 80kg*3 (added squat briefs), 100kg*3*8
Supplemental movement
2. Ultra wide sumo deadlift + red bands (80kg) - 100*3*8
Accessories
3. Inverse hamstring curl 3*10
4. Band hamstring curl 1*65
5. Landmine deadlift 3*10, 1*15
6. Standing single leg raises 4*12

Monday - max effort upper body
Main movement
1. Flat barbell press - 40*5, 60*3, 80*1, 100*1 (added bench shirt), 115kg*1, 125kg*2*4
Accessories
2. Incline DB Tate press 3*10, 1*15
3. DB Row (the one armed, kneeling on bench version) 3*10, 1*15
4. Seated face pulls 4*15
5. Incline DB hammer curl 4*10

Wednesday - max effort lower body
Main movement
1. Back squat (with my giant 30kg bar) - 30kg*5, 70kg*3, 90kg*1, 110kg*1 (added squat briefs), 130kg*1, 150kg*1, 170kg*1
Supplemental movement
2. 5cm Deficit deadlift - 100kg*5, 150kg*4, 3, 3
Accessories
3. Split squat w/both feet elevated 3*8
4. Shovel deadlift 3*8
5. Wide grip pulldown 4*15
6. Seated band hip abduction ISO hold 1*F

Friday - dynamic effort upper body
Main movement
1. Flat barbell press + pink bands & small chain (~30kg) - 20kg*5, 40kg*3*9
Supplemental movement
2. Incline barbell press - 50kg*10, 60kg*10, 65kg*4, 70kg*2, 50kg*18
Accessories
3. Overhead triceps extension w/band 3*10, 1*25
4. Chest supported KB row 4*F w/20s
5. Swinging DB side raise drop set 1*60/30/15
6. KB hammer curl 3*10, 1*20

Notes
+ bench felt like puss on Monday, felt like my triceps didn't wake up that morning
+ squats on Wednesday also felt like puss lol my max with the straight bar should be 200-210kg based off my other maxes (though I can put some of that down to long work days outside in the sun and being 2-3kg lighter than normal
+ surprisingly deficits felt ok, although I've got a half dozen blood blisters on each hand after them
+ stayed at 40kg for all my bench sets on Friday as based on last week I would have been too slow at 50kg with the addition of the chain
+ can tell the long working week had caught up to me by Friday based off the drop in reps from 60kg to 65kg on incline bench
+ I don't think overhead triceps work has any carryover to benching, but I hate stretching and they're so damn tight so I did these s teas to get a greater ROM
+ left wrist is pretty piss weak - really struggled to keep it neutral doing the KB hammer curls

Tonight's program:

Warm-up 10 mins games

Stretching
15:
Work on your shoulder, Neck and Thoracic mobility

Strength
10: Push Press (3 x 15)
3 sets of 15 push press AH

WOD
25: Metcon (AMRAP - Reps)
20 min Partner AMRAP

22 power cleans (each)
1 rope climb (each)
22 front squats
1 rope climb
22 push press
1 rope climb
22 overhead lunges
1 rope climb
400m run (together)
22 pull-ups
1 rope climb
22 hspu
1 rope climb
22 burpees
1 rope climb
400m run (together)

Lvl 1 - 35/25
Lvl 2 - 50/40
Lvl 3 - 60/45

Rules:
Both partners must complete every rep (set up 2 bars). But your pair can not move on to the next movement until both of you have completed that set.

Metcon destroyed me.

I presume (hope lol) that your mobility is active and not passive?

Super hot again today but since it's the weekend and I didn't have to work all day, I just smashed out a full workout today.

11th Feb, 2017. Workout A
Squat - 5x5 @ 42.5kg
Bench - 5x5 @ 37.5kg
Bent Over Row - 5x5 @ 42.5kg
Barbell Shrug - 3x8 @ 47.5kg
Tricep Pushdown - 3x8 @ 16.25kg
Barbell Curl - 3x8 @ 20kg
Hyperextensions - 2x10 @ 4kg
Roman Chair Knee Raise - 2x10

All weights went up today in what was a really good session. The gym is actually one of the cooler places in town right now so it was actually nice to be there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

13th Feb, 2017. Workout B
Squat -
5x5 @ 42.5kg
Deadlift - 1x5 @ 65kg
Military Press - 5x5 @ 20kg
Bent Over Row - 5x5 @ 40kg
Assisted Dip - 3x8 @ 37.5kg
Calf Press (leg press machine) - 3x8 @ 70kg
Decline Crunch - 2x10

Felt a bit flat going in today but after my first couple of working sets of squats I felt good. Really struggled with barbell curls today. Feeling it in my forearms a lot more than I reckon I should be. Any tips?

Also, was a nice change to not be working in 40+ degree heat.

For those keen on sciency stuff - summary of research on hypertrophy/building muscle
Cliffs (and I'm pulling a few references from beyond what's included in the link): for best results train body parts/muscle 2-3x per week for 40-60 reps total each muscle group each workout in sets of 6-10 reps @ 70-80% of 1rm for males and 8-12 reps @ 70-80% of 1rm for females

https://www.strengthandconditioningresearch.com/hypertrophy/#5

I haven't been posting my workouts as they are basically the same and everyone probably is getting bored of them, but, I am back to 24kg dumbbell chest press which is awesome. My best was 30kg dumbbells so working my way back up to it.

I've seen a lot about hypertrophy and think I want to start doing it, are there any beginner programs around Aeglos ?

I haven't been posting my workouts as they are basically the same and everyone probably is getting bored of them, but, I am back to 24kg dumbbell chest press which is awesome. My best was 30kg dumbbells so working my way back up to it.

I've seen a lot about hypertrophy and think I want to start doing it, are there any beginner programs around Aeglos ?

Tbh separating a beginner hypertrophy program from a strength program is difficult as the (commonly) recommended progression tends to be the same
Stage 1) full body work out 3x week
Stage 2) upper/lower or push/pull done 2x week each
Stage 3) bodypart or lift specific training days*
Tbh I think you're better off working out how much you can confidently and reliably commit to the gym (both number of days and time) then tailor a template to that rather than the other way around (so if you can provide those 2 variables we can go from there lol)

*with the advent of social media (so everyone can see what the Russians are doing lol) and the increasing studies showing higher frequency is better Stage 3 is (rightly) becoming more of a subtle variation on stage 2 (often times just adding in extra workouts rather than changing them completely)

Tbh separating a beginner hypertrophy program from a strength program is difficult as the (commonly) recommended progression tends to be the same
Stage 1) full body work out 3x week
Stage 2) upper/lower or push/pull done 2x week each
Stage 3) bodypart or lift specific training days*
Tbh I think you're better off working out how much you can confidently and reliably commit to the gym (both number of days and time) then tailor a template to that rather than the other way around (so if you can provide those 2 variables we can go from there lol)

*with the advent of social media (so everyone can see what the Russians are doing lol) and the increasing studies showing higher frequency is better Stage 3 is (rightly) becoming more of a subtle variation on stage 2 (often times just adding in extra workouts rather than changing them completely)

I was wondering why it was hard finding anything online, I checked bodybuilding.com but tbh wasn't finding much.

I commit at least 5 days a week to the gym and usually there for an hour to an hour and a half.

I have a lot of spare time up my sleeve as I work 8:30AM - 5:15PM and have no other commitments (no kids etc.)

I was wondering why it was hard finding anything online, I checked bodybuilding.com but tbh wasn't finding much.

I commit at least 5 days a week to the gym and usually there for an hour to an hour and a half.

I have a lot of spare time up my sleeve as I work 8:30AM - 5:15PM and have no other commitments (no kids etc.)

There's a few ways you could set your week up
1) alternative weight training with cardio/conditioning ie 3 weights sessions + 2 conditioning sessions
2) go full Bulgarian and do full body weights 5x week (I recommend this for people have never weight trained before as adaptation is the fastest with the highest frequency)
3) alternate upper/lower or with a total of 5 sessions of each over a fortnight
4) run upper/lower with a conditioning workout in the middle

Running at a set every 3 minutes you'd be looking at 20-30 sets split over 5-7 exercises each weight training session

There's a few ways you could set your week up
1) alternative weight training with cardio/conditioning ie 3 weights sessions + 2 conditioning sessions
2) go full Bulgarian and do full body weights 5x week (I recommend this for people have never weight trained before as adaptation is the fastest with the highest frequency)
3) alternate upper/lower or with a total of 5 sessions of each over a fortnight
4) run upper/lower with a conditioning workout in the middle

Running at a set every 3 minutes you'd be looking at 20-30 sets split over 5-7 exercises each weight training session

Yeah Ive been weight training for 3+ years now, I do minimal cardio ... well if I'm honest I do no cardio (5 minute warm ups probably don't count) :p

But 2 or 3 sounds the best to me (no cardio haha).

I guess I'll just add the basic compound movements and set it up from there :) How many reps per set? A lot of what I saw online seems to suggest 10 reps per set.

Yeah Ive been weight training for 3+ years now, I do minimal cardio ... well if I'm honest I do no cardio (5 minute warm ups probably don't count) :p

But 2 or 3 sounds the best to me (no cardio haha).

I guess I'll just add the basic compound movements and set it up from there :) How many reps per set? A lot of what I saw online seems to suggest 10 reps per set.

If you're going with #2 run a heavy/light setup (though you can probably get away with running heavy only for a couple of weeks if your weight selection is really conservative. In fact, I'd probably r commend this to allow your joints time to adapt)
So days 1, 3, 5 might (eventually) look like
1) seated barbell press
2) barbell back squats
3) dips
4) seated cable rows
5) barbell Romanian/stiff leg deadlift
Starting with 3*15, then when you can't do 3*15 go to 3*12, then 3*8, 3*5 then back to 3*15 OR switch to a similar exercise
Then days 2 and 4 would be the same but you'd do something like 3*20 with 50% or the weight you used in the previous days workout

If you run with #3 then your lower would look something like (use the same set*rep as the full body)
1) hamstring curls
2) back squats
3) lunges
4) stiff leg deads
5) calves
Upper would look something like
1) overhead press
2) horizontal row (cable, machine, db, bb)
3) horizontal press (db, bb, dips, machine, push ups)
4) vertical pull (chin ups, pulldown)
5) bicep/tricep supersets

If you're going with #2 run a heavy/light setup (though you can probably get away with running heavy only for a couple of weeks if your weight selection is really conservative. In fact, I'd probably r commend this to allow your joints time to adapt)
1) seated barbell press
2) barbell back squats
3) dips
4) seated cable rows
Starting with 3*15, then when you can't do 3*15 go to 3*12, then 3*8, 3*5 then back to 3*15 OR switch to a similar exercise
Then days 2 and 4 would be the same but you'd do something like 3*20 with 50% or the weight you used in the previous days workout

If you run with #3 then your lower would look something like (use the same set*rep as the full body)
1) hamstring curls
2) back squats
3) lunges
4) stiff leg deads
5) calves
1) overhead press

That's a nice summary, love your work!

1) seated barbell press
2) barbell back squats
3) dips
4) seated cable rows

1) hamstring curls
2) back squats
3) lunges
4) stiff leg deads
5) calves
1) overhead press

Awesome stuff, cheers :)

16th Feb, 2017. Workout A
Squat - 5x5 @ 42.5kg
Bench - 5x5 @ 37.5kg
Bent Over Row - 5x5 @ 42.5kg
Barbell Shrug - 3x8 @ 47.5kg
Tricep Pushdown - 8, 8, 4 @ 18.25kg
Hyperextensions - 2x10 @ 4kg
Roman Chair Knee Raise - 2x10

Had to do stuff in a different order today. There was a bloke that was on bench literally the whole time I was there. I did my other heavy lifts then ended up dragging a bench into the power cage. Kinda frustrating, considering he did about 4 sets the whole time I was there.

Went to failure on triceps.

Saturday - dynamic effort lower body
Main movement
1. SSB Box squat + purple bands (40kg) - 20kg*5, 60kg*3, 90kg*2 added squat briefs), 110kg*2*10
Supplemental movement
2. Zercher harness deadlift off pin 4 + pink bands (45kg) - 60kg*5, 100kg*5*5
Accessories
3. Nordic hamstring curl 3*10
4. Band hamstring curl 1*20
5. Landmine deadlift 3*8, 1*20
6. Side plank 2*10
7. Standing single leg raises 4*12

Monday - max effort upper body
Main movement
1. Flat barbell press w/lightened blue bands - 100kg*5, 110kg*3, 120kg*1, 130kg*1, 140kg*1, 150kg*1, 157.5kg*1, 162.5kg*1 (2.5kg PR)
Supplemental movement
2. Flat press w/bamboo bar - 40kg of KB*20*3
Accessories
3. EZ bar dead stop skull crusher 3*8, 1*15
4. DB row 3*8, 1*15
5. Seated face pulls 4*12

Wednesday - max effort lower body (deload)
1. Glute ham raise 4*F
2. No hand SSB squat w/banded KB 4*10
3. SSB split squat drop set 1*7/7/7
4. Stiff leg trap bar deadlift (eccentric focus) 3*8
5. Side plank 3*10

Friday - dynamic effort upper body
Main movement
1. Flat barbell press + pink bands and big chain (~40kg) - 20kg*5, 40kg*3*9
Supplemental movement
2. Seated barbell press - 40kg*10, 60kg*6, 5, 4, 40kg*20
Accessories
3. Seated overhead band extensions 1*20, 3*10
4. Chest supported DB row 4*F w/16s
5. Prone overhead press 4*8
6. DB chest fly over foam roller 3*10

Notes
+ had a bigger group in on Saturday which worked out well (squatted in pairs)
+ side planks on Saturday were pretty funny - we did them with hand/arm movement (vid at bottom) and it kicked everyone's ass lol so I programmed them again for Wednesday
+ only a small PR on lightened band bench, but it's a really slow moving lift for me (I swear the bands stretch out and help less every time we do it lol) and I'm now down 3kg on where my body weight normally sits (NFI why)
+ SSB squats were fun. There's a new guy training with us who struggles to create tension/tightness on lifts so watching him do them next week should be fun lol (he was away Wednesday)
+ forgot to set my alarm Thursday night and woke to a call from my brother asking where I was lol so had to skip our warm. TBH didn't really notice much difference though typically if I go a few weeks with no mobility or warmup up it catches up with me
+ seated press was a pretty big PR for me (iirc my best with 60kg was 3 reps). Having the n00bie being close to my strength level has been good for my own training (he's actually stronger than me on incline and overhead press but benches ~15kg less which suggests he is stronger through the shoulders and triceps than chest and upper back/stabilisers)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back