Review The Kids Are Alright Good Beveridge Ugly

Remove this Banner Ad

MACKAY racked up 15 with 8 tackles.

Atkins 9 with 3 tackles.

So yes it wasn't the night for outside players, but Mackay at least put in the effort and Atkins clearly didn't.

You need every player in your 22 every single game. Less than ideal conditions are NOT an excuse for a lack of effort and complete, utter softness.
Mackay is playing for his next contract

Atkins is signed up and complacent like the rest of the squad sometimes

MACKAY racked up 15 with 8 tackles.

Atkins 9 with 3 tackles.

So yes it wasn't the night for outside players, but Mackay at least put in the effort and Atkins clearly didn't.

You need every player in your 22 every single game. Less than ideal conditions are NOT an excuse for a lack of effort and complete, utter softness.
Mackay plays the easiest role in the team sweeping across half back.

Atkins is a wingman. Utilises time, space. Receiver of the footy. A player our inside mids get the ball to. Wet conditions that disappears and the inside mids just hack it forward.

Atkins is a wingman. Utilises time, space. Receiver of the footy. A player our inside mids get the ball to. Wet conditions that disappears and the inside mids just hack it forward.

Sweeping across half back isn't a role that gives you easy tackles.

You know what gets you tackles? workrate.

Also your excuse is weak because Seeds on the wing showed him up as well.

22 and 6 tackles.

Mackay is playing for his next contract

Atkins is signed up and complacent like the rest of the squad sometimes
Was Atkins signed up when he got coaches votes against Sydney and Port?

And, well, he was garbage

Was Atkins signed up when he got coaches votes against Sydney and Port?

No-one is saying Atkins doesn't have talent, that's never been his issue.

But he has your view, when the conditions aren't good for him he thinks it's perfectly fine to not put in 100%

Sweeping across half back isn't a role that gives you easy tackles.

You know what gets you tackles? workrate.
Being close to the play gets you tackles. Repeat stoppages gets tackles.

Both teams broke their all-time record for tackles.

Jenkins suddenly work harder last night?

No-one is saying Atkins doesn't have talent, that's never been his issue.

But he has your view, when the conditions aren't good for him he thinks it's perfectly fine to not put in 100%
Maybe he put in and the ball didn't come his way

Because he's a wingman and this was a down-the-line scrappy slog

Being close to the play gets you tackles. Repeat stoppages gets tackles.

Both teams broke their all-time record for tackles.

Jenkins suddenly work harder last night?

Seeds had double his tackles. Playing the same position. Plus over double the disposals.

Seeds had double his tackles. Playing the same position. Plus over double the disposals.
Yep, the All Australian wingman outperformed him.

I also think Peter Matera would have out-performed Atkins last night.

So Atkins had a quiet game in an easy home win against a hopeless bottom four opposition who kicked two goals. C'mon Rat! That's when we need you to step up the most!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So Atkins had a quiet game in an easy home win against a hopeless bottom four opposition who kicked two goals. C'mon Rat! That's when we need you to step up the most!

Be honest, do you honestly think Atkins put in 100% effort last night?

People can have quiet games, sometimes things don't go your way. But you need to be putting in 100% anyway.

Harder last night or the same?

Tackle numbers were up. Was that due to increased workrate?
Probably he upped his rate, I reckon having Fog and Murphy busting their guts each contest spurred him on.

You can't sugarcoat Rats game. I'm as big a fan as anyone but he hasn't been great for a fortnight.

So you don’t think Atkins is soft?

Be honest, do you honestly think Atkins put in 100% effort last night?

People can have quiet games, sometimes things don't go your way. But you need to be putting in 100% anyway.
It was a repeat stoppage game. Suited CEY, Greenwood, Douglas types. Win it at the contest, kick it forward.

The wings and high half forwards didn't do much.

Players who's role it is to sit on the outside of the stoppages were bypassed.

An outside player having a quiet game in a wet slog is the least newsworthy thing of our season so far. Just people who don't like him scraping for ammo.

It was a repeat stoppage game. Suited CEY, Greenwood, Douglas types. Win it at the contest, kick it forward.

The wings and high half forwards didn't do much.

Players who's role it is to sit on the outside of the stoppages were bypassed.

An outside player having a quiet game in a wet slog is the least newsworthy thing of our season so far. Just people who don't like him scraping for ammo.

I notice you COMPLETELY avoided my question.

Also you're making a bad argument yourself, we've already dispelled 'wings didn't do much' by comparing him to Seeds.

So you don’t think Atkins is soft?
Compared to Leigh Matthews? Yes.

I think if Atkins plays like he did vs Sydney and Port he'll contribute in September. Feel like the Sydney game was a step forward for him as he'd been poor against them before.

I notice you COMPLETELY avoided my question.

Also you're making a bad argument yourself, we've already dispelled 'wings didn't do much' by comparing him to Seeds.
What part of Seedsman the All Australian wingman are you missing?

Yes, the All Australian wingman out-performed him.

What part of Seedsman the All Australian wingman are you missing?

Yes, the All Australian wingman out-performed him.

Except he's not an All Australian wingman.

He might be in AA form but you know a big reason for that? EFFORT.

Again you STILL avoid the question about if you honestly though Atkins put in 100% effort last night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back