The Last straw

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 15, 2007
Where i need to be
AFL Club
Geelong
The AFL have announced that they are seriously considering shortening the length of the game. No this isn't too senile men who need to go to bed early like Malthouse and Sheedy suggesting it as previously, Gil has now said he is seriously looking into this.

If this occurs. Its the last straw. I will stop going to the football. Its a big effort to go to the game from the outer suburbs and if the length of the product gets any shorter then it will stop being justifiable to spend all that effort to go and I will just watch it on the tv instead.

The AFL is desperately trying to look for reasons as to why attendances down and they have come up with the bright idea that it is the length of the game. They sight the success of twenty twenty cricket. A sport that is still longer than a current AFL game. Yep its longer but apparently its a reason to shorten the game???? Apparently AFL is the longest football game in Australia. Yep. Its also the one with the biggest game attendances. NRL rates just as well if not better on TV, but the crowds are beyond ordinary. Maybe one reason is there game is too short to justify the effort to go. Evert think of that genius Gil.

What's even more infuriating is that Gil doesn't even care what current AFL supporters think. He actually stated he is interested in what will encourage non football supporters to the game. Bascially he thinks we will go no matter what and our opinions are irrelevant, may as well have literally slapped us in the face with a frozen turkey. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. I will stop going if you shorten games. I encourage everyone else who is angered by this to post and let the AFL know this is not on. The AFL needs to stop treating its existing fan base as irrelevant.

Gil I will even give you some tips why fan numbers are down and its nothing to do with length of games or lack of pre game entertainment.

1) Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Richmond are ordinary and with the exception of the Pies in 2010-11 they have been ordinary for a long term. Existing supporters of these clubs are disappearing as a result. Nothing you can do about this but accept it rather making up dumb other excuses.

2) You stretched things too far by introducing GWS and Gold Coast whilst Sydney and Brisbane were still trying to capture their own markets. Dumb move and now you have to simply suffer for it or merge them. Perth and Tassie would of been much more viable options to expand the game or you simply could of kept it at 16 teams (wow - I know I just blew your mind Gil).

3) Cost of Seating has risen beyond belief in the past twenty five years since I started following football. Maybe just maybe you are overpricing seating and overestimated your potential audience. Suck it up, realise you over reached and lower seat prices.

4) The never ending weekend of football. No one likes twilight games, particularly on a Sunday when we are all getting ready for the working week. We love Saturday games. Suns outs, cool winter breeze, lights come on in the last quarter during the middle of winter and we go out for a dinner after a game, or go home to watch the replay. Bring more Saturday games back (you could even have two or three playing at the same time) and get rid of Twilights. Now the never ending weekend of football may be to do with maximising tv rights, if so then fine, keep your TV rights but recognize that attendances will be lower and live with it. Stop trying to find other excuses and change a fundamental of the game like its length in a vain attempt to fix what is not broken.

One supporter who loves going to live games .... for now.

The game IS too long, been saying it for years. If true this would be one of the best ideas the fools at AFL headquarters have come up with. 15minute quarters would really liven things up. Too many games are over halfway through the 3rd and become a snoozefest.

Good post. I think Malthouse and Sheedy may have thought the long game is getting too hard on player's bodies, which may be fair enough. All the more reason for the AFL to re-consider interchange caps and sub rules, etc. If Gil is suggesting people are staying away because of the length of the game, I say WTF? Does their research point this way, and if so, I seriously can't understand what's with people these days.

Ticket prices and game start times are what has changed crowd numbers the most.
  • I grew up in an era when 2:10 Saturday was the norm, with reserves starting at 11am. We didn't think there was a better way to spend our day than going to the footy on a Saturday. Watch how many attend Saturday 2:10 games this year (like Coll V Rich last season)
  • Prices are too high for a family with over 14yo's to attend. Sure, it's cheap to take little kids, but the younger they are, and the later the game, the more second thoughts parents have about taking them. You'd be better off flattening prices out a bit - making it still cheap to take kids but significantly cheaper for adults.
The other problem, and I don't have a solution, is the lack of walk up tickets at most games. This is due to increasing membership numbers mostly. A lot of paid up members don't show up, even for big games, and you see empty seats. They got their membership to make sure they're first in line for any finals action.

The game IS too long, been saying it for years. If true this would be one of the best ideas the fools at AFL headquarters have come up with. 15minute quarters would really liven things up. Too many games are over halfway through the 3rd and become a snoozefest.

You should stick to rugby league or soccer.

The AFL have announced that they are seriously considering shortening the length of the game. No this isn't too senile men who need to go to bed early like Malthouse and Sheedy suggesting it as previously, Gil has now said he is seriously looking into this.

If this occurs. Its the last straw. I will stop going to the football. Its a big effort to go to the game from the outer suburbs and if the length of the product gets any shorter then it will stop being justifiable to spend all that effort to go and I will just watch it on the tv instead.

The AFL is desperately trying to look for reasons as to why attendances down and they have come up with the bright idea that it is the length of the game. They sight the success of twenty twenty cricket. A sport that is still longer than a current AFL game. Yep its longer but apparently its a reason to shorten the game???? Apparently AFL is the longest football game in Australia. Yep. Its also the one with the biggest game attendances. NRL rates just as well if not better on TV, but the crowds are beyond ordinary. Maybe one reason is there game is too short to justify the effort to go. Evert think of that genius Gil.

What's even more infuriating is that Gil doesn't even care what current AFL supporters think. He actually stated he is interested in what will encourage non football supporters to the game. Bascially he thinks we will go no matter what and our opinions are irrelevant, may as well have literally slapped us in the face with a frozen turkey. Wrong. Wrong. Wrong. I will stop going if you shorten games. I encourage everyone else who is angered by this to post and let the AFL know this is not on. The AFL needs to stop treating its existing fan base as irrelevant.

Gil I will even give you some tips why fan numbers are down and its nothing to do with length of games or lack of pre game entertainment.

1) Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon and Richmond are ordinary and with the exception of the Pies in 2010-11 they have been ordinary for a long term. Existing supporters of these clubs are disappearing as a result. Nothing you can do about this but accept it rather making up dumb other excuses.

2) You stretched things too far by introducing GWS and Gold Coast whilst Sydney and Brisbane were still trying to capture their own markets. Dumb move and now you have to simply suffer for it or merge them. Perth and Tassie would of been much more viable options to expand the game or you simply could of kept it at 16 teams (wow - I know I just blew your mind Gil).

3) Cost of Seating has risen beyond belief in the past twenty five years since I started following football. Maybe just maybe you are overpricing seating and overestimated your potential audience. Suck it up, realise you over reached and lower seat prices.

4) The never ending weekend of football. No one likes twilight games, particularly on a Sunday when we are all getting ready for the working week. We love Saturday games. Suns outs, cool winter breeze, lights come on in the last quarter during the middle of winter and we go out for a dinner after a game, or go home to watch the replay. Bring more Saturday games back (you could even have two or three playing at the same time) and get rid of Twilights. Now the never ending weekend of football may be to do with maximising tv rights, if so then fine, keep your TV rights but recognize that attendances will be lower and live with it. Stop trying to find other excuses and change a fundamental of the game like its length in a vain attempt to fix what is not broken.

One supporter who loves going to live games .... for now.

5) A complete lack of transparency, and a deep-seated distrust for the custodians of the game at the elite level.

Yeah, this is wrong. Collingwood shouldn't be lumped in with these other three. We played finals from 2006 - 2013 and have 72k members. It's actually appalling you put Collingwood in here and basically ruins your whole "argument."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood have played in 5 grand finals in the last 13 years. Yes we only won one of them, but being runners up and playing finals every year since 2001 apart from 04 and 05 is hardly ordinary. We have 70,000 members and are still the highest drawing team, home and away. We're not disappearing

Apparently, the average game time this year is roughly a shocking 1% longer than last year! Not only that, it is the highest it has been since...3 years ago!

Something must be done now to arrest this alarming trend!

Yep, game is still shorter than T20 cricket. See no reason as to how this will help.

People will leave if they get bored/the result is over. They will do so if the quarters are 20 minutes or 15 minutes. It won't help people turn up in my opinion. If the game goes for 30-60 minutes less, is someone who is only half interested gping to bother to go anyway?

To be honest... I reckon there may be something to be said for shortening games ever so slightly.

The game changes and it's far more demanding than it used to be. Too often 44 players are out out their feet in the last minutes.

It's a quality v quantity balance. Reckon a very slight adjustment may not be a bad thing.

Which is perfect I reckon. Nothing like the last 5 minutes of a close game to sort the greats from the goods.

A blowout match will fizzle regardless of the length the game goes for.

I think there's some merit to shortening the game, however, it shouldn't be dramatic. Perhaps even having time added on for injisries and the last 5 minutes of each quarter.

Or go with 15 minute quarters.

I don't like what it will do yo stats tho. Some records will become u untouchable.

The game needs to evolve with peoples changing lifestyles. It's not 1980 anymore. People want things fast and compact these days. Big bash is the perfect example.
Yes, we need to pander to the short attention spans of the simple minded. * em, I say.

There's enough in this world for them; fast food, fast cricket, fast internet, One-minute-silences that go for 45 seconds, etc etc. Some of us appreciate the longer forms of experience.

If they do shorten the game, I hope they work on shortening time-off aspects and not compromise too much on time-on. If they do shorten it, I hope we can have more rounds to the season.

Leave the main game alone. Maybe just make the pre season matches a big bash kind of thing. Maybe 15 players a team, 5 minutes each for two halves, maybe 2 groups of 4, 2 groups of 5 with the top 2 teams from each group going through to quarter finals. Then at least they will know if people like the faster quicker footy without totally overhauling everything.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back