The Melbourne City Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Any idea how far off Kennedy is? Squads starting to look pretty decent.

Velaphi back in this week after the red?
Would love to knock off the scum at etihad, especially after what happened earlier this year.

Pretty sure Velaphi is nursing some sort of muscle strain. If he's available, I imagine the starting gig in goals would be touch and go, with Tando holding the slight edge.

Can we get any luck with our Marquees and injuries?

JK was just underdone, as far as I know, which is why he'll probably be coming off the bench on Saturday as well. Not really an injury, strictly speaking.

Pretty sure Velaphi is nursing some sort of muscle strain. If he's available, I imagine the starting gig in goals would be touch and go, with Tando holding the slight edge.
Tando is miles ahead.

Tando is miles ahead.

Over the course of the season: sure. But I think coaches are generally pretty reluctant to bench a goalkeeper, when the team is coming off a win. Redmayne also avoided giving us further embarrassment when Velaphi was sent off against the Mariners, though, of course it could be argued that Central Coast had gone into preservation mode by then (though Redmayne did do some nice things after coming on, from memory). And furthermore, Van 't Schip didn't seem amused with the crowd chanting for Velaphi on Sunday, which suggests to me that if he views the two as relatively equal, he might go with Redmayne to send a message.

Sections of the crowd at AAMI Park responded to the mistake by chanting the name of Redmayne's rival shot-stopper Tando Velaphi, prompting a rebuke from Van 't Schip: "I don't think it's fair. I haven't heard but if that's (true) I don't think it's fair and we're not helping each other with that."

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021...132/josh-kennedy-could-be-fit-to-face-victory

I think if Redmayne and Velaphi switched places for the last two games (i.e. Redmayne got sent off against CCM, Velaphi came on for him and subsequently started against the Wanderers in Redmayne's absence), there wouldn't be a snowball's chance in hell that people would be suggesting Redmayne should come straight back in.

I'd hope:

Stevanja
Hoffman - Chapman - Kisnorbo - Clisby
Mooy - Paartalu - Melling
Duff - Kennedy - Koren​
Ridiculous. What do you know about Stevanja? Redmayne is much maligned here, very little basis for it. Some of "our" supporters are questionable to say the very least.

Any idea how far off Kennedy is? Squads starting to look pretty decent.

Velaphi back in this week after the red?
Would love to knock off the scum at etihad, especially after what happened earlier this year.
Clearly if you read the squad, TV is not in. Must be injured.

Over the course of the season: sure. But I think coaches are generally pretty reluctant to bench a goalkeeper, when the team is coming off a win. Redmayne also avoided giving us further embarrassment when Velaphi was sent off against the Mariners, though, of course it could be argued that Central Coast had gone into preservation mode by then (though Redmayne did do some nice things after coming on, from memory). And furthermore, Van 't Schip didn't seem amused with the crowd chanting for Velaphi on Sunday, which suggests to me that if he views the two as relatively equal, he might go with Redmayne to send a message.

http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/4021...132/josh-kennedy-could-be-fit-to-face-victory

I think if Redmayne and Velaphi switched places for the last two games (i.e. Redmayne got sent off against CCM, Velaphi came on for him and subsequently started against the Wanderers in Redmayne's absence), there wouldn't be a snowball's chance in hell that people would be suggesting Redmayne should come straight back in.
Very little between TV and AR in reality.
They are not Clint Bolton, yet CB himself felt that AR was ready to replace him. Just needs a little more confidence in his own ability, and having a decent back 4 helps a lot.

Wellington- away
Perth - home
Adelaide - home

Next three weeks will really make or break our season. Brisbane are on the improve and banging down the door for a spot in the top 6.

Need to get more fitness into Kennedy and Koren and keep our best players on the park and I still believe we can cause a few problems in the finals.

Next year seems to be the year where we can seriously give it a crack though. I honestly think we should bring in a new coach next season. Some of JVP line ups have been disasterous.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ridiculous. What do you know about Stevanja? Redmayne is much maligned here, very little basis for it. Some of "our" supporters are questionable to say the very least.
Very little basis? His positioning is laughably bad, which is the most important part of goalkeeping, he comes off his line far too often, getting caught in no mans land (see goals 1 and 3 tonight) and on the odd occasion he does get a hand on the ball it's no where near strong enough. Velaphi is a much better GK.

Next year seems to be the year where we can seriously give it a crack though. I honestly think we should bring in a new coach next season. Some of JVP line ups have been disasterous.

If Koren ever plays as a striker again he should be sacked on the spot.

Or if Melling ever plays at left back.

I love Massimo Murdocca, but the bloke's past it. I liked Baharudin when he was on. Not starting Williams was bizarre. I think our best side will be:

Velaphi
Hoffman - Chapman - Baharudin - Clisby
Paartalu - Melling
Duff - Mooy - Koren
Kennedy​

I love Massimo Murdocca, but the bloke's past it. I liked Baharudin when he was on. Not starting Williams was bizarre. I think our best side will be:

Velaphi
Hoffman - Chapman - Baharudin - Clisby
Paartalu - Melling
Duff - Mooy - Koren
Kennedy​
Kisnorbo is easily our best CB.

Very little basis? His positioning is laughably bad, which is the most important part of goalkeeping, he comes off his line far too often, getting caught in no mans land (see goals 1 and 3 tonight) and on the odd occasion he does get a hand on the ball it's no where near strong enough. Velaphi is a much better GK.
Say what you like, goal 1 in particular, and 3 were clearly not the fault of the goalkeeper.
Velaphi may be better, not much, and he's not the messiah either.

Say what you like, goal 1 in particular, and 3 were clearly not the fault of the goalkeeper.
Velaphi may be better, not much, and he's not the messiah either.
Goal 2 was the only one where he wasn't partially at fault for. 1 and 3 may not have been completely his fault but there were clear mistakes on his part.

Velaphi is miles better than Redmayne. I'm not saying that Velaphi is more than a passable back up but Redmayne is just s**t. The Bentleigh Greens keeper is better than him.

Apart from losing Duff, and maybe half the team with yellows, a pleasing effort today.
Chapman and Melling are beauties as far as competitiveness; just hope we don't lose them to too many yellows when it is really crucial.

Mooy continues to live up to the meaning of his name.

Apart from losing Duff, and maybe half the team with yellows, a pleasing effort today.
Chapman and Melling are beauties as far as competitiveness; just hope we don't lose them to too many yellows when it is really crucial.

Mooy continues to live up to the meaning of his name.
Yeah in the end I was ok with the draw. We didn't play badly we were just outplayed. Team needs to figure out Kennedy as well who did some nice things but was very rusty.

Yeah in the end I was ok with the draw. We didn't play badly we were just outplayed. Team needs to figure out Kennedy as well who did some nice things but was very rusty.
second half, yes, first half, we outplayed them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back