Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

Is it a short term pain/long term gain scenario for them?? Or is it like Etihad where the clubs are screwed financially by having to play there?

You would hope the failures at the MCG, Etihad & Adelaide are not repeated - keep the AFL out of negotiations, they are shockers in terms of stadium management deals.
No doubt Trevor Nisbet & Brian Cook are still close & Cooky kept the AFL well out of the management arrangements at Geelong.

When does construction get underway??? Is it set in stone that the 1st season will be 2018. Would be good if they could build it in time for 2017.

When does construction get underway??? Is it set in stone that the 1st season will be 2018. Would be good if they could build it in time for 2017.

Construction is supposed to start at the end of this year. To be ready by the start of the 2018 season. There is the possibility it may be completed earlier, some time in 2017, but can't be promised.

Construction is supposed to start at the end of this year. To be ready by the start of the 2018 season. There is the possibility it may be completed earlier, some time in 2017, but can't be promised.

half full/half empty.
It was originally planned for finals 2017 but has been pushed back.
The possibility of earlier completion is over whelmed by the possibility of delays.

I wonder how both clubs will go allocating members their seats. will it be a like for like to start with, and then requests to move?
or just a request to start with?
how did crows and port do it I wonder?

I suppose the different level members will be given choice in order of their rankings.

I wonder how both clubs will go allocating members their seats. will it be a like for like to start with, and then requests to move?
or just a request to start with?
how did crows and port do it I wonder?
On the move, the PAFC did it via a Virtual stadium seating map. Went from highest membership category to lowest. You could choose any seat, then put a deposit on it.
Later on when they saw the seats were actually there you paid in full.
Quite a smooth process actually

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A new train (or at least I think it is). Any idea whether AFL members will be able to gain access in the new stadium. Back in 1990 I joined the AFL when they were building the Great Southern Stand and that went well in Melbourne. Now living in Perth, AFL membership appears to be worthless. Any news?

A new train (or at least I think it is). Any idea whether AFL members will be able to gain access in the new stadium. Back in 1990 I joined the AFL when they were building the Great Southern Stand and that went well in Melbourne. Now living in Perth, AFL membership appears to be worthless. Any news?

Club members come first. Depends on the number of club members.

But expect a similar situation to Subi - more or less a club members only stadium with a handful of general admission seats.

Club members come first. Depends on the number of club members.

But expect a similar situation to Subi - more or less a club members only stadium with a handful of general admission seats.

I have contacted both AFL and Eagles. No commitment that they will make on the future prospects. AFL membership is still a Melbourne only membership so pretty well wasted if you were to move cities. Pity as the opportunity to not commit to a season ticket and just go to great matches was just brilliant in Melbourne.

Interesting to see the WAFC in discussions with US owned Ticketmaster & Delaware North preparatory to the tender to manage the facility:

"We are talking to these and other potential partners, including media, about improving our current operations at Patersons Stadium and the joint approach to seeking the operator role at the new Perth Stadium," WAFC chief Gary Walton said. The WAFC has signed a catering deal with Delaware North to run food and beverage operations at Patersons Stadium for the next three years, taking over from Mustard Catering.
However, sources said there were influential voices within the Government sceptical about handing control of the new stadium to football.
Sport and Recreation Minister Terry Waldron said an operator would be appointed by an open tender process, to begin this year.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/25183554/wafc-in-joint-bid-to-run-stadium/

Interesting to note that issues of both ticketing & catering are areas that AFL CEO Gil is going to address in Melbourne, the inference being they are a rip off. Along with Gils involvement in sorting out money issues at Adelaide Oval, clearly stadium management deals are not for the uninitiated.

I have contacted both AFL and Eagles. No commitment that they will make on the future prospects. AFL membership is still a Melbourne only membership so pretty well wasted if you were to move cities. Pity as the opportunity to not commit to a season ticket and just go to great matches was just brilliant in Melbourne.

AFL membership competes with club membership, why would clubs with sold out stadiums e.g Geelong & the WA clubs, give up members seats?

Interesting to see the WAFC in discussions with US owned Ticketmaster & Delaware North preparatory to the tender to manage the facility:

"We are talking to these and other potential partners, including media, about improving our current operations at Patersons Stadium and the joint approach to seeking the operator role at the new Perth Stadium," WAFC chief Gary Walton said. The WAFC has signed a catering deal with Delaware North to run food and beverage operations at Patersons Stadium for the next three years, taking over from Mustard Catering.
However, sources said there were influential voices within the Government sceptical about handing control of the new stadium to football.
Sport and Recreation Minister Terry Waldron said an operator would be appointed by an open tender process, to begin this year.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/25183554/wafc-in-joint-bid-to-run-stadium/

Interesting to note that issues of both ticketing & catering are areas that AFL CEO Gil is going to address in Melbourne, the inference being they are a rip off. Along with Gils involvement in sorting out money issues at Adelaide Oval, clearly stadium management deals are not for the uninitiated.
I don't care what people say about it being a good economic model, the ludicrous price of attending AFL football in Perth is a stain. You should not have to pay that much money to embark on a very normal, important, rite of passage. I see kids in Melbourne, sitting together after getting the train into the city, in big groups watching the footy with their best mates – it's impossible for people of any age to enjoy that here. And you can say what you want, but to be able to see the footy with your friends is a very, very cool thing. The highlights of my weekends were being at games with my mates.

Unfortunately, the way West and South Australia are, it's just way too hard to equitably manage this.

The next best step is simply not a $50 rort on supporters and members. That's just insane. This isn't the Premier League where you're seeing multi-million dollar athletes run around. I understand it's professional, elite, and there's a supply and demand around it, but come on. It really has to be fixed.

I don't care what people say about it being a good economic model, the ludicrous price of attending AFL football in Perth is a stain. You should not have to pay that much money to embark on a very normal, important, rite of passage. I see kids in Melbourne, sitting together after getting the train into the city, in big groups watching the footy with their best mates – it's impossible for people of any age to enjoy that here. And you can say what you want, but to be able to see the footy with your friends is a very, very cool thing. The highlights of my weekends were being at games with my mates.

Unfortunately, the way West and South Australia are, it's just way too hard to equitably manage this.

The next best step is simply not a $50 rort on supporters and members. That's just insane. This isn't the Premier League where you're seeing multi-million dollar athletes run around. I understand it's professional, elite, and there's a supply and demand around it, but come on. It really has to be fixed.

agree

or shown free to air if they want to play a publicly funded stadiums

The sad answer to this is we will lose kids to another sport or type of entertainment. When/If we get a league side over here my son will probably go watch that because of the ease to get a ticket unlike AFL. Ive prepared myself that my boy may grow up a league fan because if you give me a choice of sitting at home in front of the idiot box or a night out with the family ill take the night out every single day of the week or like I have done for the 2nd half of the year go and watch local footy LIVE in person.

The wafl should go back to what they used to do in the 70s and 80s when teams had a home game, an away game, and the 3rd game at the neutral league headquarters which was subi then and will be burswood come 2018. I think then, in that stadium, the majority of people, families etc, will be ableto go to a great stadium, watch some fairly good standard wafl games, and get to enjoy some good crowds and what folks in melb can do,sit where they want (mostly), with friends.

If they do that, I think the knock on effects to overall wafl crowds would be good.

Edit: back then it was 8 teams,so the season was 7 home, 7 away and 7 neutral. With 9 teams now? it wouldn't be as clean, but you get my gist. Have a game a week at burswood. Even a Friday night game most weeks would be good,plus with no eastern tv commitments,it wouldn't have to start near peak traffic, it could start at 710pm or 740pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back