Perth Stadium (Optus Stadium)

Remove this Banner Ad

PHQTzP.jpg
Screen_Shot_2015_11_19_at_7_17_40_PM.png

This will be the best stadium in the country. Never been to WA but id love to get over one weekend to watch a game and get to experience NPS

Edit: it's also nice to see your river is blue and not brown I bet it doesn't stink either.

Can someone tell me why this is going to take so long for the stadium to be ready to be used? I mean they have not even been building a year yet and look how far they have come in that time. Why is it that it is going to take another 2 years before it is actually ready, why can't it be ready for the start of the 2017 AFL season?

Can someone tell me why this is going to take so long for the stadium to be ready to be used? I mean they have not even been building a year yet and look how far they have come in that time. Why is it that it is going to take another 2 years before it is actually ready, why can't it be ready for the start of the 2017 AFL season?
Because they are constructing a precinct not just a stadium. Adelaide Oval took 100 weeks to go from demolition of old stands to completion and only 1 of the 3 tenders said they could do it in that time line. Now this is a green field site and that has benefits over an existing site and buildings around it, but there are transport issue ie bridge and train station to be built that AO, the SCG 2 stands in the last 6 years and the MCG northern stand development didnt have to deal with.

http://www.perthstadium.com.au/news-and-information/fact-sheets/construction-fact-sheet

http://www.perthstadium.com.au/news-and-information/fact-sheets/stadium-station-construction

If you look at that link I put up they spend a year driving 2000 concrete piles into the dirt at Burswood. Why? Because it was an old dump site and they had to sure up the footings under the stadium.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/9560216/barnett-defends-old-dump-for-new-stadium/
Despite Premier Colin Barnett favouring a former industrial waste dump as the site for Perth’s new stadium, he doesn’t believe there’s an urgent need for soil testing.

Mr Barnett has previously said the proposed new football stadium would probably be built at the current site of the State Tennis Centre at Burswood. A task force headed by businessman John Langoulant, which is examining options for a new Perth stadium, found the Burswood site would cost more than other sites due to it being built on land previously used as a waste dump.
Although the Langoulant taskforce found a stadium at Burswood would be more costly than other sites due to the ground surface, Mr Barnett said it would be offset by other factors. He said construction would not have to work around existing buildings or congested roads.

The Langoulant task force found Burswood was the only site which offered the opportunity to develop a “much more expansive sports and events precinct” like Sydney’s Olympic Park.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/9560216/barnett-defends-old-dump-for-new-stadium/

Western Australians have longer lunch breaks, and they start work 2 hours after the rest of the country is up and running.

I'm starting to question whether it's actually the pitch that's the problem or whether they've just got a bad batch of Kookaburras. They've changed the ball too many times this test. In both innings shortly after the 80th new ball they changed a dodgy new ball to another brand new ball, and both times that new ball sparked something. New Zealand was able to take a string of wickets early on day 2, and Starc's inspired spell that was reminiscent of the WACA of old was also after they changed the new ball again in the 85th over.
Thats the problem cricketers messing around with their balls and then pulling the pin too early.

What a embarrassingly defensive comment. You do realise that people are rightfully complaining about the ridiculous imbalance between bat and ball right? Whether or not New Zealand neutralised the match doesn't change that fact.

In an ideal world I wanted the WACA to remain the premier cricket venue in WA, but if the legendary pitch isn't there then really there is no point. It just is very poorly set up for spectators - an issue that could have been resolved had there been some foresight from the venue administrators prior to the conception of the idea for a new stadium.
And the WACA sits vacant, derelect, unoccupied for 9 months of the year. Compared to SCG, AAMI, MCG, Gabba, WACA doesn't stand upto these stand up venues. I would recommend Belrieve Oval before a day out at the WACA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And the WACA sits vacant, derelect, unoccupied for 9 months of the year. Compared to SCG, AAMI, MCG, Gabba, WACA doesn't stand upto these stand up venues. I would recommend Belrieve Oval before a day out at the WACA.
That will change after Perth Stadium is complete. The ground will be downsized and improved to 15,000, the WAFC will move their administration base to the WACA and they'll play WAFL games there, probably the televised game of the round.

Photos from today.

Camera quality photos...
(a few wide shots followed by zoom ins)

Future train station
stadium151122a_zpsffw1ng9f.jpg

Hosted on PhotoBucket (by me)

stadium151122b_zpsxpxustvi.jpg

Starting northeast-ish & walking clockwise around the stadium
stadium151122c_zpsm0vihtzh.jpg

stadium151122d_zpshboenybz.jpg

stadium151122e_zpsuid13syz.jpg

stadium151122f_zpsxliur3yf.jpg

stadium151122g_zpsytkph0bf.jpg

stadium151122h_zpsyrzwaoar.jpg

stadium151122i_zpsiv8pnfw3.jpg

stadium151122j_zpssy3vz59l.jpg

stadium151122k_zpspyphu38j.jpg

stadium151122l_zpsqvkfxyge.jpg

stadium151122m_zpspqk9chwb.jpg

How far will the stadium be from the cbd? Some people will want to walk from city to stadium

How far will the stadium be from the cbd? Some people will want to walk from city to stadium

A decent distance to walk from the Treasury/Land Titles building in the CBD (which is used as a distance marker from the CBD).

Without printing it off it looks to be in the ballpark of 2.5/3km.
Most people would either catch the train directly there or could catch a bus down the Terrace to greatly reduce the distance.

This link shows the inner city of Perth - the stadium is just off the right of the map in line with Claisebrook Cove.
https://www0.landgate.wa.gov.au/docvault.nsf/web-new/PS_FREEMAP/$FILE/Perth_Inner_Metro_Mosaic.pdf

That will change after Perth Stadium is complete. The ground will be downsized and improved to 15,000, the WAFC will move their administration base to the WACA and they'll play WAFL games there, probably the televised game of the round.
Sure they will and Little Bo Peep will find her sheep, Little Miss Muffet will kill the spider and ole Mother Hubbard will find a bone for her mutt. That's what I like about Perth the land of fairytales, make believe and Fremantle.

$s - the bottom line - what will it cost footy:
..... negotiations with the stadium’s major tenants, Perth’s two AFL football clubs, are progressing much slower, with no deal yet finalised for Fremantle and West Coast to play there from the 2018 season.

Talks have been on foot for most of the year, but optimism in August that a deal was inching closer has cooled.
It is understood the Government is seeking about $22 million a year from football. Fremantle and West Coast each pay about $5-$6 million a year in rent at Domain Stadium.

Those (negotiations) are robust but .... reach conclusion on that and have a great outcome for both the State and football.”

Complicating negotiations from football’s point of view is uncertainty about whether it will win the rights to manage the stadium. Perth Stadium Management, a vehicle of the WA Football Commission, Live Nation, Ticketmaster and Delaware North, is competing with Perth Arena operator AEG Ogden, Spotless-owned Nationwide Venue Management and Stadium Australia Operations.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/30271490/perth-stadium-build-reaches-highest-point/

$s - the bottom line - what will it cost footy:
..... negotiations with the stadium’s major tenants, Perth’s two AFL football clubs, are progressing much slower, with no deal yet finalised for Fremantle and West Coast to play there from the 2018 season.

Talks have been on foot for most of the year, but optimism in August that a deal was inching closer has cooled.
It is understood the Government is seeking about $22 million a year from football. Fremantle and West Coast each pay about $5-$6 million a year in rent at Domain Stadium.

Those (negotiations) are robust but .... reach conclusion on that and have a great outcome for both the State and football.”

Complicating negotiations from football’s point of view is uncertainty about whether it will win the rights to manage the stadium. Perth Stadium Management, a vehicle of the WA Football Commission, Live Nation, Ticketmaster and Delaware North, is competing with Perth Arena operator AEG Ogden, Spotless-owned Nationwide Venue Management and Stadium Australia Operations.
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/wa/a/30271490/perth-stadium-build-reaches-highest-point/

So the government wants double the money from West Coast and Fremantle. That sounds greedy.

So the government wants double the money from West Coast and Fremantle. That sounds greedy.

So they should spend a billion dollars on a new stadium but charge the same rent as for a broken down old death trap with jarrah bench seats and about 5 toilets total?

We try to live in the real world here. Someone has to pay for it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back