The Off Season Couch Potato Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, gotta say I'm not ashamed that I like TWD as much as you do, Deano...

0702b5564d98d20df93840158d1493e9.jpg

Without wishing to inadvertently validate some of the criticism, I certainly don't think it's uncommon for a long-running series to go through highs and lows. In a way, writing off a quality show off the back of a patchy season can be a bit like writing off a talented player on the same grounds. And to further this questionable analogy, there has been plenty of excellent shows that have overcome some early "teething" problems only to really hit their stride a little ways down the track. Somewhere around the 50-100 game...errr, episode mark.

Happy to back it in for a big season.

Without wishing to inadvertently validate some of the criticism, I certainly don't think it's uncommon for a long-running series to go through highs and lows. In a way, writing off a quality show off the back of a patchy season can be a bit like writing off a talented player on the same grounds. And to further this questionable analogy, there has been plenty of excellent shows that have overcome some early "teething" problems only to really hit their stride a little ways down the track. Somewhere around the 50-100 game...errr, episode mark.

Speaking of teething problems and highs and lows, last night while waiting to watch the latest episode of Boardwalk Empire, I saw a few minutes of series 1, episode 1 of Seinfeld. Awful, just awful.

Not sure when it turned around. I might have to tune into a few more of the early shows to see if I can spot it.

This is also the point at which I should probably admit that If You Are The One is my other favourite TV show.

(Enjoying the aforementioned Peaky Blinders, too.)
+100 absolutely love IYATO

I think people forget it's a drama and just want nothing less than zombie frenzies and death on death. Short of some plot point changes it's very faithful to it's source. The zombies are the environment, not the story. The walking dead are Rick and the survivors.

It's also likely pretty unfairly held up to shows like Game Of Thrones.

I reckon (hope) a lot of viewers will be swayed by the next season. The Terminus storyline is very cool and a lot of very integral characters are starting to pop up now.

Sleepy hollow, broadwalk empire, Gotham, Sons of Anarchy (wow what a show), plenty to watch atm. Penny dreadful is great for horror/thrill fans with Eva Green at her absolute best. Movie wise, the Guardians of the galaxy was awesome to watch, l might go see it again.

Struggling with House of Lies. I like the blonde woman. That is all! The rest of the show is mush.

Maybe it's because I'm on BF at the same time?

Anyone got something positive to say about the show?

Struggling with House of Lies. I like the blonde woman. That is all! The rest of the show is mush.

Maybe it's because I'm on BF at the same time?

Anyone got something positive to say about the show?
Not really l think its terrible. If you're looking for a descent comedy, Brooklyn 99 is very funny with a descent imdb rating.

Not really l think its terrible. If you're looking for a descent comedy, Brooklyn 99 is very funny with a descent imdb rating.
Second Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Very funny and excellent guest stars (Dean Winters is tops).

Second Brooklyn Nine-Nine. Very funny and excellent guest stars (Dean Winters is tops).

Is it on Fox? I haven't noticed it when I've been flicking through the channels from my favourite spot on the couch.

Is it on Fox? I haven't noticed it when I've been flicking through the channels from my favourite spot on the couch.

I've been downloading it, but also saw it on one of the SBS channels (possibly SBS 2) on a Sunday night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sleepy hollow, broadwalk empire, Gotham, Sons of Anarchy (wow what a show), plenty to watch atm. Penny dreadful is great for horror/thrill fans with Eva Green at her absolute best. Movie wise, the Guardians of the galaxy was awesome to watch, l might go see it again.

Speaking of movies - Gone Girl was released this week. Haven't seen it yet, but the book is excellent, David Fincher rarely puts a foot wrong and the soundtrack is by the always excellent Trent Reznor.
Probably not the best movie to see with your other half though.

I'll fourth (?) the Brooklyn 99 calls, Mr R. Pretty cool show.

As ms_kate suggests, it's on SBS2 at 8.30pm on a Sunday.

(Follows a seriously great show in the previously mentioned, If You Are The One.)

I'll fourth (?) the Brooklyn 99 calls, Mr R. Pretty cool show.

As ms_kate suggests, it's on SBS2 at 8.30pm on a Sunday.

(Follows a seriously great show in the previously mentioned, If You Are The One.)

Thanks, mate. 8.30 Sunday is a perfect time too - a time when I'm usually flicking around in the hope (usually in vain) of finding something half decent to watch. Will check it out for sure.

And....

....."the always excellent Trent Reznor" ??

Well, let's just say I obviously wasn't part of that survey's focus group.

Did I just wake up in 2007? Déjà vu...

Last edited:
Enjoyed my first Brooklyn 99. Was the drug boss Daryl the warehouse manager in the US version of the Office or Scott McMahon circa 2014? Not sure.

Detective Rosa's very professional on the eye too.

Enjoyed my first Brooklyn 99. Was the drug boss Daryl the warehouse manager in the US version of the Office or Scott McMahon circa 2014? Not sure.

Rosa is a stunner. For the ladies there's The Vulture (you'll meet him soon).

Santiago isn't too bad either, gotta love the latin's. Terry crews is my favorite on the show, so funny.

Very disappointed with this season of Boardwalk Empire so far. I think the writers have lost the plot - literally.

Let's hope The Good Wife doesn't follow suit when it returns tomorrow night. I saw early signs of it (convolution/improbability) at the end of last season.

Very disappointed with this season of Boardwalk Empire so far. I think the writers have lost the plot - literally.

Let's hope The Good Wife doesn't follow suit when it returns tomorrow night. I saw early signs of it (convolution/improbability) at the end of last season.

I have a fantasy that Boardwalk will spin off into a hardcore reboot of The Untouchables which could be the greatest TV show ever.

Hollywood, cheques payable to TFW, Sydney, Australia. They'll get to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back