Universal Love "Never Toumpas Apart" - Jimmy, I like your hustle, thats why it was so hard to cut you

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm actually surprised it's taken this long for this to come out of the Power camp. It was always coming tho, I always enjoy the implication of it always being the old teams fault, and nothing to do with the player. The Suns had Dixon listed at about 105kgs ... So if he'd got out to 111 ... I dare say it's his own fault.

Unless the Toump has been doing running sessions down the Yellow Brick Road in search of a heart, we're unlikely to be in any danger of him becoming the player we all hoped

Hot off the presses:

(Charlie) Dixon arrived at Port Adelaide weighing 111kg. But the bearded big man has shed 4kg during his three-month stint at Alberton.

“Charlie and Jimmy Toumpas are both in much better shape than when they arrived, which is a credit to the program that Darren Burgess runs,” Shaun Hart said.

“We think at the moment those guys are really running better and moving better than when they first arrived. They’re in great shape.”

Doubt no longer but believe - believe in the Toump!!!

Toump's running better so that he can avoid body contact at all cost.

You hope so anyway.

At least we got him for a packet of chips rather than pick 4!

Anyway I hope he does well and forfills his potential in our environment. He has every opportunity to do so now.

If he doesn't then meh.
fulfills*

If he got nowhere under Roos and McCartney, no one can help him, his problem is he is so unbelievably uncontested and shits his pants when he gets the ball.

fulfills*

If he got nowhere under Roos and McCartney, no one can help him, his problem is he is so unbelievably uncontested and shits his pants when he gets the ball.
Culture plays a massive role. Roos has been banging his head against a brick wall trying to change the losing culture that is so deeply ingrained in the MFC. He has said so publicly. It will likely be a while before you can rule out poor performance being wholly and solely player specific unfortunately.

You hope so anyway.

At least we got him for a packet of chips rather than pick 4!
Everybody is aware of the Mark Neeld era...
You paid a packet of chips and you got a packet of chips. Nothing remarkable there.

Anyway I hope he does well and forfills his potential in our environment. He has every opportunity to do so now.

If he doesn't then meh.
You might think so, but why did we have other young players flourishing last year? Brayshaw, for example. Let's not overplay the whole "culture" thing. Good players still had good matches, even when we were beyond crappy. The Toump is like a deer in the headlights when there is any kind of pressure. You can try to slot him in somewhere if you like, but it's an exercise in trying to make a high draft pick fit into something - not because he really demands selection. He played for us because he was our first pick and we tried to get games into him. If he had been a pick 80, he probably would have struggled to play a game. It's all about perception and draft order colours perception a lot.

Culture plays a massive role. Roos has been banging his head against a brick wall trying to change the losing culture that is so deeply ingrained in the MFC. He has said so publicly. It will likely be a while before you can rule out poor performance being wholly and solely player specific unfortunately.

Cale Morton, Jordan Gysberts, Colin Sylvia, Addam Maric were all top 20 picks teams thought they could de-melbourne
They were wrong

Everybody is aware of the Mark Neeld era...
You paid a packet of chips and you got a packet of chips. Nothing remarkable there.

You might think so, but why did we have other young players flourishing last year? Brayshaw, for example. Let's not overplay the whole "culture" thing. Good players still had good matches, even when we were beyond crappy. The Toump is like a deer in the headlights when there is any kind of pressure. You can try to slot him in somewhere if you like, but it's an exercise in trying to make a high draft pick fit into something - not because he really demands selection. He played for us because he was our first pick and we tried to get games into him. If he had been a pick 80, he probably would have struggled to play a game. It's all about perception and draft order colours perception a lot.

I watched Toumpas in SANFL prior to his drafting. I always thought pick 4 was overs but definitely saw him as top 15. If you think that culture is not a big factor then you are delusional, having watched my team go from having a great culture to a poor one and now back up there again (culture wise) I am totally a believer of the importance of it. MFC have never really had a strong successful culture and it has floundered badly for the past 10 years at least. This will take a long time to repair and it won't be fixed in Roos time as coach. It will never be super strong like we see at other power clubs. Inroads are being made and your example of Brayshaw and even Hogan are evidence of this. Don't be surprised if Toump reaches his potential at PAFC as he has entered a strong culture of hard work and a club with a long history of success from the get go, whereas at MFC he entered a poor cultured club with a long history of record breaking poor performance and the culture overall was in need of big repair which was always going to take time.

Personally I think MFC should've been packed up years ago and the fact that they carry the name "Melbourne" is a blight on the tourism industry of Victoria.

Last edited:
Cale Morton, Jordan Gysberts, Colin Sylvia, Addam Maric were all top 20 picks teams thought they could de-melbourne
They were wrong

Yep. A lack of accountability culture allowed the recruiters to continue to make poor selections. Success stems from discipline and accountability. One would argue that those players had the MFC culture ingrained in them and couldn't get out of it. We will see whether Toump has the same problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep. A lack of accountability culture allowed the recruiters to continue to make poor selections. Success stems from discipline and accountability. One would argue that those players had the MFC culture ingrained in them and couldn't get out of it. We will see whether Toump has the same problem.

Cant wait to quote your post when he gets delisted champ(Y)

Sigh. Why is there a dickhead Port Adelaide troll on our board? Someone report him for something. Racism, smoking in the lav, 9 items in the 8 or fewer queue ... I'm not particular what

The only thing stupider than the MFC selecting those players is other clubs picking them up in spite of having 4+ years of exposure to them at AFL level.

The only thing stupider than the MFC selecting those players is other clubs picking them up in spite of having 4+ years of exposure to them at AFL level.
Yup. Amazing really.

The best one is Hawthorn giving up a pick for Fitz when we actually delisted him...

Yup. Amazing really.

The best one is Hawthorn giving up a pick for Fitz when we actually delisted him...
To be fair to Hawthorn that doesn't really count. They did that because it was the only way they could sign him before the delisted free agent window opened and get him to the club ASAP. It was a show of goodwill. The pick was immaterial, it might as well have been pick 200.

I watched Toumpas in SANFL prior to his drafting. I always thought pick 4 was overs but definitely saw him as top 15. If you think that culture is not a big factor then you are delusional, having watched my team go from having a great culture to a poor one and now back up there again (culture wise) I am totally a believer of the importance of it. MFC have never really had a strong successful culture and it has floundered badly for the past 10 years at least. This will take a long time to repair and it won't be fixed in Roos time as coach. It will never be super strong like we see at other power clubs. Inroads are being made and your example of Brayshaw and even Hogan are evidence of this. Don't be surprised if Toump reaches his potential at PAFC as he has entered a strong culture of hard work and a club with a long history of success from the get go, whereas at MFC he entered a poor cultured club with a long history of record breaking poor performance and the culture overall was in need of big repair which was always going to take time.

Personally I think MFC should've been packed up years ago and the fact that they carry the name "Melbourne" is a blight on the tourism industry of Victoria.

a-punch-in-the-face.jpeg

Amazing how easily Port Adelaide could be 'fixed', but we can't be.

To be fair to this flog, Port had such a brilliant year last season that he has to be right.

Did I miss something ... Because it looks like there is some muppet in here telling us that not only is culture the single most important aspect of not only team success, but an indivual's performance. Specifically an individual with 3 years and over 25 decidedly mediocre games that rendered presumably no less than 30 pairs of soiled jocks. This is the club who finished 2 spots above us on the ladder yeah? Because a team that goes from a Prelim Final to 11th clearly has everything figured out ... Cool story bro

To be fair to this flog, Port had such a brilliant year last season that he has to be right.

It's amazing what you can achieve when two football leagues bail out your club to the tune of $9million. Some club supporters have short memories.

Post here again and it's a card. This is your first and final warning.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back