Hot Topic The President, CEO & the Board - CARLTON SUPPORTERS ONLY!!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You won't see me arguing with Caro here. These money men have us on a drip feed, largely on the promise of money rather than anything real. The fact they manoeuvre themselves on to the board and we are still several million dollars in debt, makes me think we are being held to ransom because we fear what will happen if they walk away.

Our board feels more like the mob than a board sometimes.*

*Checks bed for horses head.

A_McKay Fair point, but I wonder how anyone would get on the Carlton board without substantial family money. Seems like a pre-requisite.

Another interesting point was how little personal contribution these millionaires actually put towards the club. Isn't that the whole point of putting millionaires in positions of power at our club?

Year after year I look at the annual reports to see proportionately small amounts being raised by these directors. Give me a director of modest means who knows how to mobilise and inspire potential members any day.

Year after year I look at the annual reports to see proportionately small amounts being raised by these directors. Give me a director of modest means who knows how to mobilise and inspire potential members any day.

Literally, how does it happen? I've been a member for years with no idea how board members are elected or selected.

You won't see me arguing with Caro here. These money men have us on a drip feed, largely on the promise of money rather than anything real. The fact they manoeuvre themselves on to the board and we are still several million dollars in debt, makes me think we are being held to ransom because we fear what will happen if they walk away.

To be fair on this, Pratt and Visys contribution to facilities was fairly reasonable...at least a couple of years ago. Getting to the point where its "what have you done for us lately" though.

To be fair on this, Pratt and Visys contribution to facilities was fairly reasonable...at least a couple of years ago. Getting to the point where its "what have you done for us lately" though.

What was the breakdown for the new facilities? State government, council and a certain amount from us.

I know Dick threw a couple hundred thousand in to pain the walls and buy some new equipment when he first came on, then raised a mill or two and contributed dollar for dollar at a fundraiser, but am unsure about the new facilities.

Still, a lot of guys with means on the board and Carlton sit there with a so-so bottom line all these years later post Smorgon.

Literally, how does it happen? I've been a member for years with no idea how board members are elected or selected.

They have two year terms I think. Most are elected unopposed but now and then someone will stand against them, and eligible members then get to vote.

Can I run?

I will base all my decisions on knee-jerk posts after a loss on Bigfooty.

I'm sorry. Bruce Mathieson has his nephew on the board for knee jerk reactions. You are going to have to get original if you are serious.

She does hit the nail on the head about the club having to distance itself from the fatcats and backroom powerbrokers.

Visy has the naming rights to Princes Park, but through some sort of jiggery pokery we have Jeanne Pratt and Ruffy on the board in voting positions. They should have advisory positions on the board without voting rights because of their ties to Visy.

I did notice that she missed out on Craig Mathieson on the board though...

Getting on the board requires you bringing in sponsorship dollars I don't think it is purely writing a blank cheque. I think the companies these people belong to A. Sponsor the club outright or B. Use there pull to get sponsors to sign up. So for instance visy use optus for all their telco needs, dare I say it the visy execs would suggest that they sponsor the club for a period of time. Ie, Hyundai does the visy fleet account so they would sponsor the club etc, those are loose examples not saying that is the case just the methodology.

Guy from work used to work at an afl club and said that's how sponsorships work generally, prime example was Some concrete company sponsored a Perth team at one stage which might be linked to providing the material for the new stadiums. Obviously a concrete company would have no need to sponsor a football team, what exposure do they need?

I reckon that he is going to play the waiting game like all good supporters should be doing. He wants to see what the board is going to do and how it reacts to Bruce's demands.
He sound to me like he knows he's in already - he is talking the talk. Paraphrasing: "I want to see the team and board respond"... "Not a time for making rash decisions, but also not the time to say we can work it out in a few weeks"... "Need a plan"

What was the breakdown for the new facilities? State government, council and a certain amount from us.

I know Dick threw a couple hundred thousand in to pain the walls and buy some new equipment when he first came on, then raised a mill or two and contributed dollar for dollar at a fundraiser, but am unsure about the new facilities.

Still, a lot of guys with means on the board and Carlton sit there with a so-so bottom line all these years later post Smorgon.

According to the 2008 Annual report, the club had to find 7.95 million of the 17.7 million development. In the same report it mentions that Visy took a naming rights deal for three years. (the development was later valued at 19.4 million in the 2009 report, with the federal government funding 4.5 million)

The 2008 Annual Report also shows that Richard Pratt donated $1.33 million in 2007. Its worth noting that sponsorship jumped 2 million from 2007 to 2008, and then another 2 million from 2008 to 2009.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to the 2008 Annual report, the club had to find 7.95 million of the 17.7 million development. In the same report it mentions that Visy took a naming rights deal for three years. (the development was later valued at 19.4 million in the 2009 report, with the federal government funding 4.5 million)

The 2008 Annual Report also shows that Richard Pratt donated $1.33 million in 2007. Its worth noting that sponsorship jumped 2 million from 2007 to 2008, and then another 2 million from 2008 to 2009.

I'm not really counting sponsorships though. Visy certainly keep their name out there by doing so. I'm more thinking of flat out dipping into personal coffers.

I'm not really counting sponsorships though. Visy certainly keep their name out there by doing so. I'm more thinking of flat out dipping into personal coffers.

I dont think you can separate the Visy sponsorship from Pratt in 2007 though, they came on at the same time Pratt came on, and in the same financial year as Pratts donation. would Visy have come on board without Pratt? it doesnt seem so. Pratt had previously complained that Carlton people wanted his money but not his ideas.

Keep in mind also that Visy is a privately owned company, so donations or sponsorship by "Visy" are coming straight out of the Pratt family's wealth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah fair point. I wonder if what Visy has contributed to Carlton is pretty much the standard for sponsors of other clubs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I guess the point I make is these mega rich guys aren't doing it all for nothing. They are doing it for seats on the board, or doing it for the right to influence decisions or doing it to promote their own businesses ... at least partly.

Very well said! It strikes at the heart of the "cultural" issues Carlton has had for decades. A clean out of the Board is needed and a fresh, innovative 21st century ethos introduced to properly move the club forward.

Last week we ran into the juggernaut that is the Melbourne Football Club.
You are right about the fringe-dwellers but the good thing about them is that the club can dismiss their comments as not being accurate or inflammatory or whatever they want to say if they do not engage in the palava.

Besides, Maclure doesn't pot the club like others (he's a lot smarter than that plus he could be told to switch off if needed), Elliott Jnr seems a little more measured & Rhys would bite his tongue if asked to, it's only Mathieson who is the loose cannon and the more he sprouts, the more he comes across as a quick impersonation of a senile Elliott Snr.

If we have club officials saying those things then it is hard to refute and makes it look worse when they seem to be contradicting each other.

We were on a hiding to nothing over the past fortnight, the media were always going to be all over us with a blowtorch and a microscope. Purely from a PR perspective, I believe the club should of limited the media exposure (that way they can control what is said) and also have one person doing the speaking. It gives a strong impression of leadership and a level of calm even if it is pandemonium behind the scenes.

IMO we deserved the media attention. If there isn't serious change at Board and list level we'll be saying the same things this time next year.

IMO we deserved the media attention. If there isn't serious change at Board and list level we'll be saying the same things this time next year.
we really need a board of supporters who dont think that they wholly own the club and therefore their opinions matter more than the average supporter's.

We do have 3 factions of board members. Mathieson's cartel, Pratt's cartel and then we appear to have Sticks all on his own. Sticks is trying to balance a ball on his nose while appeasing the other cartels. Mathieson's and Pratt's cartels will only act together if they feel that they can get something out of it.

The Pratt's came in and brought the naming rights to Princes Park and invested some money and matched donations... for that, after Dick passed away, Jeanne got a vice presidency.

Mathieson brought a bunch of cheap pokies and gave them to the club as a revenue stream. And now the club feels obliged to him and he gets to stab everyone in the back.

If these guys were true supporters, they would collectively put their hands in their pockets and eradicate the club debts... they could even claim the money back on tax as a charitable donation to a sporting body. But we dont see that happening.

we really need a board of supporters who dont think that they wholly own the club and therefore their opinions matter more than the average supporter's.

We do have 3 factions of board members. Mathieson's cartel, Pratt's cartel and then we appear to have Sticks all on his own. Sticks is trying to balance a ball on his nose while appeasing the other cartels. Mathieson's and Pratt's cartels will only act together if they feel that they can get something out of it.

The Pratt's came in and brought the naming rights to Princes Park and invested some money and matched donations... for that, after Dick passed away, Jeanne got a vice presidency.

Mathieson brought a bunch of cheap pokies and gave them to the club as a revenue stream. And now the club feels obliged to him and he gets to stab everyone in the back.

If these guys were true supporters, they would collectively put their hands in their pockets and eradicate the club debts... they could even claim the money back on tax as a charitable donation to a sporting body. But we dont see that happening.
Does this mean essendon have a mexican cartel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back