News The Return of State of Origin - For or Against?

Remove this Banner Ad

If each side only played the other once during the H&A season I could see an opening for it but the AFL don't seem to favour that approach.

Given the national competition we basically have SOA by proxy each round now for club supporters.

Not Really the Interstate teams have Victorians and other States on there list

There's been a series at The Age about State of Origin football. I'd love to see it return, but understand that clubs and players might not be keen to have it midseason.

Anyone else like to see it?

Here's the latest article.

Depends on what form, is it a proper competition or exhibition type that we saw come in costing Fraser his career.

I’d be keen to see the former, but no chance that could be played midseason these days.

I’d say a month out from the beginning of the season is a better option.

So question to those who know. How do the NRL make it work? It’s massive every year.

A quick answer is that the boofheads of Qld and NSW are emotionally invested in the concept, because they're f***** in the head.

We're not invested in the concept, because it's f*****.

Doesn't get more science than that.

You could add a poll.

im for but only if it is done right.

At leaat 6 teams: Vic, SA, WA, Tas, NSW, Qld.
2-3 weeks with a winner declared at the end.
Before the start of the season when practice matches are being played.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nobody cares about the NRL, State of Origin is the only thing people like to watch.
Not true.

I got a mate who likes a bit of pig dogging & he loves NRL, not just SOO.

So see the best, not at their best?

I don't think that's any chance of working. The reason why it works in League is that you've got two evenly matched states competing. Who's going to be interested in a game where Vic's are going to be expected to thrash Tassie? To make it evenly matched in Aussie Rules, you'd need to have Vic vs the rest of the country. And the other states aren't going to get behind that.

I don't think that's any chance of working. The reason why it works in League is that you've got two evenly matched states competing. Who's going to be interested in a game where Vic's are going to be expected to thrash Tassie? To make it evenly matched in Aussie Rules, you'd need to have Vic vs the rest of the country. And the other states aren't going to get behind that.
Agree that no one would support the allies. This is the reason why state of origin failed in the end. If its state of origin it needs to be states vs states. Sure Vic is the stand out but how good would a NSW vs Qld game be? It might even rate nationally. What about WA vs SA? That would be a really cool match up. Would tassie be too good for Qld or NSW? Dont make it about Victoria. Give every state a chance to shine. It might even get some support in some states that normally dont watch much aussie rules. Sure vic may trash tassie in round one but it would set up a final with lets say the second best performing team. Who wouldnt want to watch a Vic vs WA final in WA?

Agree that no one would support the allies. This is the reason why state of origin failed in the end. If its state of origin it needs to be states vs states. Sure Vic is the stand out but how good would a NSW vs Qld game be? It might even rate nationally. What about WA vs SA? That would be a really cool match up. Would tassie be too good for Qld or NSW? Dont make it about Victoria. Give every state a chance to shine. It might even get some support in some states that normally dont watch much aussie rules. Sure vic may trash tassie in round one but it would set up a final with lets say the second best performing team. Who wouldnt want to watch a Vic vs WA final in WA?
Me. Boring AF

Remove this Banner Ad

Back