News The Return of State of Origin - For or Against?

Remove this Banner Ad

Was great ‘back in the day’ with the Vic’s, SA and WA and you’d get to see all the guns of the game playing. Allie’s concept and then the national comp killed of any interest in it for me. Plus the potential for injuries to your best players.
Shame some legends won’t ever wear the Big V or interstate equivalents but a no for me.

Is there any value in just naming Vic, NSW , SA , WA teams in some form , even every couple of years. Or before the AA Team

Would be interesting to see the teams on paper

Agree will never see a game , unless they made it a five yearly thing. Where players would put themselves up surely .

For mine the AFL clubs will never put up there star players so

it should be the best state league footballers that are not on an afl list.

Vic, SA, WA, Allies…

Run the first 2 elimination games during a dedicated mid season bye round…

Then have the winners face off in a final several weeks later during the pre finals bye

Put up a cash prize for the participating players so they are motivated and rewarded

Give it a prime time tv slot during the bye rounds

In short time everyone will embrace it

No thanks.
Really don't care which state has the best footballers.
Just want Pies to win.

Vic, SA, WA, Allies…

Then have the winners face off in a final several weeks later during the pre finals bye

Put up a cash prize for the participating players so they are motivated and rewarded

Great idea mate. I would watch it.

It's a no for me, the top end players at AFL clubs don't really pay any thought to the concept of interstate rivalries nowadays the way they used to when the competition wasn't national and everyone played in the VFL.

Was bound to happen as footballers transitioned to seeing footy more as a profession and less as a passion.

Against, only because it all sounds good until you lose your star player to a knee for the rest of the season.

Bring back the All Stars v The Reigning Premiers as the lead in to the home and away season. The proverbial champion team v the team of champions.

Anything Origin related is absolute shite.
Clubs pay players handsomely and any injury is devastating.

The Melbourne Storm has paid the price of these Origin games a few times. As have other teams.

I'd rather watch an Olympic type of entertainment during the pre season.
Sprints, 5km and 10km time trials.
Bench press.
Best few from every club involved over a few days.
Crazy but more entertaining in my view.

I would be happy to see some sort of x-footy under twenty ones, pre-season State of Origin carnival, where we get to showcase the best young talent - recently drafted kids and those kids still coming through in their second or third year. Also gives them some more valuable AFL experience.

Vic, SA, WA, Allies…

Don't they already do this?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back