The stupid horn noise they play after goals at Gold Coast ...yank crap

Remove this Banner Ad

I was at the SANFL finals on the weekend at Adelaide Oval. After the first goal was scored, they started playing advertisements on the big screen. I said to my mate "They're not going to do this all day are they, it's annoying, and must be annoying for the players".

Someone upstairs must have come to the same conclusion and stopped doing it ... except when we went to start the second half. Players ready, umpires ready, got the light upstairs that the TV crew was ready .... and then we got hit with a barrage of advertisements again. Added to that, my mate Wayne Phillips would come on at every break telling about what we had just seen.

I don't know about others, but the only noise I like hearing at the footy is the crowd barracking, and the final siren. Everything else is crap.

I'm old enough to remember what they Swans used to play that "Show 'em UGH Show 'em UGH" song after every goal. Compared to that, Gold Coast's trumpet bar is nothing.

It started at the Suns, now Brisbane and Adelaide do it, it really is annoying

Eh?

If you are talking about the Lion Roar thing (that sounds more like a toilet flushing)' we've been doing that for about a decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This is a quality read. I was watching FoxFooty Chooseday Night Football the other week and that audio "You're the miiiiiiiiiiiiiiighty Swaaaaaaaaaans" after every goal (or however it went) was ultra annoying. How did they get away with that?

I don't mind some uniqueness sure

But the yanky crap we can do without

Port all class

GCS ....cheap tackle yanky crap

Rather simple to see the difference

I agree, you would have to be rather simple to see any difference.

Who wants a dvd plaaaaaaayyyyyeeeeerrrrrrr........
Is slim jim still at eagles home games ?

Fwiw, the suns have about half of their membership base as juniors. Kids like this stuff. I dont see how its considred American, it's the start of the club song. I am sure that Belgians, Dutch, Germans and other nationalities play brass instruments.

Unlike west coast where 99% of members are grey army, been members since 1980s and do or attend any non fine weather home games as it is too wet, cold etc and the nursing homes won't give them a pass out for insurance purposes.

It's maybe there for kids ...yeah get that .....

Can dig that but atlaest give it something which has some footy semblance to it

It's not basketball....hey I like the NBA also but when I'm watching nba it's nba .....not AFL
It's a part of their club song. What do you suggest as an alternative that would have some "footy semblance to it"?

The lions should roll out a huge mechanical lion, sort of like the Trojan horse, with the players inside. When it arrives in the middle of the stadium it's eyes should glow maroon and have blue and gold laser lights coming out.

And the players could run out of its rear passage to take the field.

It's just utter yank crap

I cannot stand yank crap

Half our kids walk around with caps on backwards like yanks do .....

Stupid rap music

We are like a souther suburb of America already .......we don't need our sport to be the same

Geez it would be fun in your place watching Aussie Tv shows/movies and listening to aussie music.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
As we have learnt from the expansion clubs in the AFL, it's pretty difficult to come up with a catchy club anthem without using the tunes of world famous songs, innit?

It's an excerpt from their club song, how the * is that Americanised you dysfunctional lunatic!? And my god, you can't even figure out how to spell Yankee! Is that some kind of sick piece of deliberate anti-intellectual pride you're indulging in, or did your 'e' key die in the midst of one of your other mind-bending rants?

Let me guess, is this how the situation at Metricon goes:
Hey, Gold Coast score a goal, lets play part of the club song! Now pass me the Southern Comfort and gumbo, y'all.

Surely this thread needs a quick transplant to the Bay, where it can be nominated for a nice divvying.

i've read through this entire thread and haven't found one single attempt at an explanation as to what is so specifically american about playing an excerpt of a club's song to celebrate a goal in an australian sport. funny that.

i guess some people just think "yank crap" is slang for "i don't like it".

It is the worst thing I have ever heard at a game

Funny because on the annoying scale I give it a two. 1 being not annoying at all and 10 being the west coast eagles club song.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back