The Terrorism Files - 2015, 2016

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
So many people on social media saying terrorist attacks stress a direct result of the 'West's' involvement in the middle east.

Imagine if we were to pull out. Do people still think we wouldn't see attacks like Paris?

Will the same people then shout at government's for not protecting people being persecuted in these lands?

So many people on social media saying terrorist attacks stress a direct result of the 'West's' involvement in the middle east.

Imagine if we were to pull out. Do people still think we wouldn't see attacks like Paris?

Will the same people then shout at government's for not protecting people being persecuted in these lands?
Bit late for that now isn't it? Maybe they are referring to why we went there in the first place.

Bit late for that now isn't it? Maybe they are referring to why we went there in the first place.

We went there in the first place because Syria broke out into civil war during the Arab Spring. This isn't a Western intervention problem, this is a problem within the Middle East between different Islamic sects interfering with government which has been a problem in Syria since it was a one party state. Blaming the west for this problem is refusing to focus on the real issue. Can we ever have democracy in the Middle East when Sunni and Shia Muslims are both relentless in their generational religious war?

We went there in the first place because Syria broke out into civil war during the Arab Spring. This isn't a Western intervention problem, this is a problem within the Middle East between different Islamic sects interfering with government which has been a problem in Syria since it was a one party state. Blaming the west for this problem is refusing to focus on the real issue. Can we ever have democracy in the Middle East when Sunni and Shia Muslims are both relentless in their generational religious war?
Syria broke out into civil war and that is why we went there despite it being a Middle East problem? Huh?

Syria broke out into civil war and that is why we went there despite it being a Middle East problem? Huh?

When atrocities are being committed to civilians in places like Syria what do you expect the UN to do? If you do nothing you get problems like the Syrian refugee crisis where the fighting gets so bad people can't stay in the country. For what it's worth there were about two years without intervention, in where Syria tried holding elections and other democratic initiatives. I think military intervention should be a last resort but when the fighting between Sunni and Shia Muslims gets so bad that there is a huge population fleeing the country what else can you do?

When atrocities are being committed to civilians in places like Syria what do you expect the UN to do? If you do nothing you get problems like the Syrian refugee crisis where the fighting gets so bad people can't stay in the country. For what it's worth there were about two years without intervention, in where Syria tried holding elections and other democratic initiatives. I think military intervention should be a last resort but when the fighting between Sunni and Shia Muslims gets so bad that there is a huge population fleeing the country what else can you do?
I thought that Western intervention was before that. Did they ever find WMD?
Fine to get involved but not sure they had any idea what the end game was going to look like and now here we are.
Still trying to get my mind around it all but find it interesting the views of many posters.

I thought that Western intervention was before that. Did they ever find WMD?
Fine to get involved but not sure they had any idea what the end game was going to look like and now here we are.
Still trying to get my mind around it all but find it interesting the views of many posters.

I don't think you can relate the Iraq war to the Syrian crisis since Syria was never invaded by western states during that time. Syria was under rule to a one party Shia state to a majority Sunni population. When the Arab spring occurred ISIL was basically able to gain control due to the lack of organisation and structure in the area. I agree it's a really complex issue but my point is that this is ultimately an issue of Sunni-Shia relations in the Middle East with western influence and globalization only a periphery issue.

You raise a good question about what is the end game. Is the goal democracy in the Middle East? Because that looks just about impossible from this point. Sadly, I don't think anything can repair the damage between Sunni and Shia Islam in the Middle East. There would need to be some sort of revolution within Islam that differentiates between religion and state for the two sects to ever be able to function democratically together.

I don't think you can relate the Iraq war to the Syrian crisis since Syria was never invaded by western states during that time. .
Oh yes you can:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/we-re-...q-syria-lebanon-libya-somalia-sudan-iran/5166

Also, Syria was infiltrated by IS from Iraq, assisted by it's affiliates in the 'moderate' (my arse) opposition groups, Al-Nusra Front (plus international brigades) and Khorosan. Nb the last 2 have at times had skirmishes with IS of late.

Oh yes you can:

http://www.globalresearch.ca/we-re-...q-syria-lebanon-libya-somalia-sudan-iran/5166

Also, Syria was infiltrated by IS from Iraq, assisted by it's affiliates in the 'moderate' (my arse) opposition groups, Al-Nusra Front (plus international brigades) and Khorosan. Nb the last 2 have at times had skirmishes with IS of late.

Yes, ISIS has roots in Iraq but I still think the main reason that they were able to gain power in Syria was because of the government upheaval in 2012. It was impossible to establish a government and so those opposition groups were able to take advantage. That's why I ultimately think the problem lies in the unrelenting hostilities between Sunni and Shia Islam, with western involvement still a factor, but a less significant factor

Yes, ISIS has roots in Iraq but I still think the main reason that they were able to gain power in Syria was because of the government upheaval in 2012. It was impossible to establish a government and so those opposition groups were able to take advantage. That's why I ultimately think the problem lies in the unrelenting hostilities between Sunni and Shia Islam, with western involvement still a factor, but a less significant factor
I would see it as the West/Israel/Saudi's/Turkey exploiting the schism to achieve their respective goals....but I wont labour the point.

For what it's worth this is an interesting timeline:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-03/islamic-state:-a-timeline-of-escalating-terror/5788816

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do you really think the US went there because they cared about the humanitarian crisis? Really?

It must be incredibly frustrating as an Islamic terrorist not to have your views and motives taken seriously by the societies you terrorize, even after you have explicitly and repeatedly stated them. Even worse, those on the regressive left, in their endless capacity for masochism and self-loathing, have attempted to shift blame inwardly on themselves, denying the terrorists even the satisfaction of claiming responsibility.

It's like a bad Monty Python sketch:

"We did this because our holy texts exhort us to to do it."

"No you didn't."

"Wait, what? Yes we did..."

"No, this has nothing to do with religion. You guys are just using religion as a front for social and geopolitical reasons."

"WHAT!? Did you even read our official statement? We give explicit Quranic justification. This is jihad, a holy crusade against pagans, blasphemers, and disbelievers."

"No, this is definitely not a Muslim thing. You guys are not true Muslims, and you defame a great religion by saying so."

"Huh!? Who are you to tell us we're not true Muslims!? Islam is literally at the core of everything we do, and we have implemented the truest most literal and honest interpretation of its founding texts. It is our very reason for being."

"Nope. We created you. We installed a social and economic system that alienates and disenfranchises you, and that's why you did this. We're sorry."

"What? Why are you apologizing? We just slaughtered you mercilessly in the streets. We targeted unwitting civilians - disenfranchisement doesn't even enter into it!"

"Listen, it's our fault. We don't blame you for feeling unwelcome and lashing out."

"Seriously, stop taking credit for this! We worked really hard to pull this off, and we're not going to let you take it away from us."

"No, we nourished your extremism. We accept full blame."

"OMG, how many people do we have to kill around here to finally get our message across?"

- Faisal Saeed Al Mutar

It must be incredibly frustrating as an Islamic terrorist not to have your views and motives taken seriously by the societies you terrorize, even after you have explicitly and repeatedly stated them. Even worse, those on the regressive left, in their endless capacity for masochism and self-loathing, have attempted to shift blame inwardly on themselves, denying the terrorists even the satisfaction of claiming responsibility.

It's like a bad Monty Python sketch:

"We did this because our holy texts exhort us to to do it."

"No you didn't."

"Wait, what? Yes we did..."

"No, this has nothing to do with religion. You guys are just using religion as a front for social and geopolitical reasons."

"WHAT!? Did you even read our official statement? We give explicit Quranic justification. This is jihad, a holy crusade against pagans, blasphemers, and disbelievers."

"No, this is definitely not a Muslim thing. You guys are not true Muslims, and you defame a great religion by saying so."

"Huh!? Who are you to tell us we're not true Muslims!? Islam is literally at the core of everything we do, and we have implemented the truest most literal and honest interpretation of its founding texts. It is our very reason for being."

"Nope. We created you. We installed a social and economic system that alienates and disenfranchises you, and that's why you did this. We're sorry."

"What? Why are you apologizing? We just slaughtered you mercilessly in the streets. We targeted unwitting civilians - disenfranchisement doesn't even enter into it!"

"Listen, it's our fault. We don't blame you for feeling unwelcome and lashing out."

"Seriously, stop taking credit for this! We worked really hard to pull this off, and we're not going to let you take it away from us."

"No, we nourished your extremism. We accept full blame."

"OMG, how many people do we have to kill around here to finally get our message across?"

- Faisal Saeed Al Mutar
A method I used to ameliorate my small children's tantrums was to agree patronisingly and cuddle up with them - they hated it and more often than not would change their ways.....but......if they didn't I'd smack their derriere..

Supporting for their own agenda...who knows. Can Iran be trusted?

IS is supported by the Saudis who are from a different sect if Islam.
Iran is from a different sect of Islam where it is the "leading nation".
Saudi Arabia and Iran are enemies.
They are currently fighting a war/proxy war in Yemen. The Houthi are supported by Iran, and the Saudis support the government/whatever, and are bombing the Houthis. Iran has tried to send ships but they've naval blockaded Yemen.

So there is no way that Iran is supporting IS.
They are actually engaged in conflict against them in Syria if reports are to be believed.

"French imam on day of Paris attacks: Muslims should rule France"

The tensions between the Muslims and the rest of society religious or not will always be there when Mosque Services preach division and dreams of conquer. The Muslim religion is either so fractured or the ones telling us "Religion of peace" "ISIS aint that big"are that out of touch or deluded

Really the Muslim faith needs reforming from within if we are ever going to get anywhere

"French imam on day of Paris attacks: Muslims should rule France"

The tensions between the Muslims and the rest of society religious or not will always be there when Mosque Services preach division and dreams of conquer. The Muslim religion is either so fractured or the ones telling us "Religion of peace"

Yeah it doesn't matter if they denounce ISIS when this kind of stuff is being preached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back