Rumour The Thread formerly known as the rumour file, now with zero rumours

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know how anyone could argue logically that Lucas went backwards in 2013.

He hasn't quite made it yet but his 2013 was clearly far superior to what he offered in 2012.

Showed some terrific signs in certain games particularly through the middle patch of the season.

He does have some glaring weaknesses at the moment which need to be worked on but he also has certain strengths which can't be taught. His poise, decision making and strength need work, but his running work shouldn't be underestimated or go without credit.

He's probably the best at the club at running and creating space. Stood out like a sore thumb at times in a team containing so many that refused to run and create for their team mates.

It is somewhat concerning that he lost his spot thereafter and reportedly remains unsigned, but he's still young and given time I believe he'll make it.

MM is the right person to challenge him and ensure he gives it everything he's got.

I agree. Has been in the system long enough to have made improvement but nothing. If anything he has gone backwards! Similar to Bell, his peripheral vision and awareness (lack thereof) will prevent him taking the step up. We simply don't have the know-how to develop kids in this way

That is so true. It's one thing to draft the right kid but another to develop them quickly into AFL players.

I agree. Has been in the system long enough to have made improvement but nothing. If anything he has gone backwards! Similar to Bell, his peripheral vision and awareness (lack thereof) will prevent him taking the step up. We simply don't have the know-how to develop kids in this way
Tackling and disposal needs to improve, but he doesn't lack peripheral vision and awareness like Bell. o_O

Savage has been in the system longer than Lucas without nailing down a spot like Isaac Smith.

In rd 20 against the Saints, Savage polled 3 votes, had 30 touches and took 9 marks but only kicked 1 behind, so I'm assuming he played more of a midfield/wing type role like Lucas.

I'm about to watch the replay now.

Tackling and disposal needs to improve, but he doesn't lack peripheral vision and awareness like Bell. o_O

Savage has been in the system longer than Lucas without nailing down a spot like Isaac Smith.
is the 23rd/24th best player on a premiership list......

they say you have to improve your bottom 6 to get better, at worst savage improves us in that regard.

In rd 20 against the Saints, Savage polled 3 votes, had 30 touches and took 9 marks but only kicked 1 behind, so I'm assuming he played more of a midfield/wing type role like Lucas.

I'm about to watch the replay now.
Also managed 4 centre clearances, 4 stoppage clearances and 2 rebound 50s. Not a bad effort at all!

I hope we stick with Lucas, but a few things concerned me big time this year. His tackling (can be fixed). But when he got the ball in pressure situations nearing the end of tight games he more often than not coughed it up. I always pictured Lucas as a classy, skilful outside player who we could relax when the ball was in his hands (bit like Gibbs, although to a lesser extent), but he really wasn't that player.

And to play that game that he does he needs to be that sort of player. Thomas should either take his spot, or do wonders for him and take him under his wing.

How has a rumour thread turned into a discussion of Lucas & his weaknesses?

Anyone got any juicy gossip?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You forgot to mention that he has no equal as a coach of those young drafted talent (the who's who of players he produced with the Cannons reads like an All Australian team) so how did it go wrong - maybe you don't know the full story :rolleyes:

Never knocked Hyde or his record as a coach .
Was about appointing a coach to oversee the development of our young drafted talent in a part time capacity while he still held down a demanding full time job .

I hope we stick with Lucas, but a few things concerned me big time this year. His tackling (can be fixed). But when he got the ball in pressure situations nearing the end of tight games he more often than not coughed it up. I always pictured Lucas as a classy, skilful outside player who we could relax when the ball was in his hands (bit like Gibbs, although to a lesser extent), but he really wasn't that player.

And to play that game that he does he needs to be that sort of player. Thomas should either take his spot, or do wonders for him and take him under his wing.

It is almost impossible to fix a softly softly attitude/approach and you can teach players all over the country the skills of the game with great skills coaches available but natural courage and trying to remove the fear of being hurt while getting involved in body contests etc is impossible to teach and it is what it is. Kane will always be the type of player to sidestep and happy to tackle with 1 arm while an opposition player breaks it easily instead of putting his body on the line but this is the type of player he is and you cannot have to many of these types.

Lucas and Bell not on table. As has been briefly discussed already, MM wants to keep midfield depth at the club

Ellard, however, was offered around day 1 - no interest from anyone.

Thanks reg. :thumbsu:

Any idea why Lucas hasn't signed a contract if he's not on the table?

Lucas and Bell not on table. As has been briefly discussed already, MM wants to keep midfield depth at the club

Ellard, however, was offered around day 1 - no interest from anyone.

any word on Docherty or Savage?

are we going after a KPF?

Lucas played 17 games this year. Shows more about your opinion on him.

The improvement he showed this year was great IMO and can see him taking another step next year. I'm sure our supporters would love to have Smedts in our team but he would more frustrating than Kane but has better mids around him.

Judd, Murphy and Scotland's form was the real reason we had midfield issues.

Lucas playing 17 games is great and all but he was borderline for the majority of the year. The fact that he wasn't really doing much in the VFL once he was dropped speaks volumes to me. People are complaining about Savage not playing finals for Hawks despite Savage still playing 15 games when Lucas got dropped for ours and we finished 9th. Rather not wait for Lucas to develop his kicking when he lacks any inside game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back