News The Tiger era beckons

Remove this Banner Ad

Moreover, this you-must-win-a-minor-final-and-then-come-back-and-contend-the-following-year is a lot of malarkey, in my opinion. Richmond is proof of that. We won finals in 1995 and 2001. Didn't stop us sliding into oblivion in the years that followed. We shouldn't be using our losses to Port and Carlton as an excuse for an early exit this year.
They aren't saying winning a final guarantees you come back. They're saying teams don't win flags without a finals win previously.

Having said that, no one had won 9 in a row to make finals before and we did that.

They aren't saying winning a final guarantees you come back. They're saying teams don't win flags without a finals win previously.

Having said that, no one had won 9 in a row to make finals before and we did that.

i just get sick of everyone saying if we don't a final this year isn't a success. So what we win a final, we will be happy to lose the next one. Dimmas reply to that answer was the best. Unless you win the flag no matter weather you go out in the 1st 2nd 3rd week or get beat in the Grand final, either way you leave the ground disappointed, and it won't mean that you are automatically going to win or lose more games the following year.
I want to win the comp this year, if we don't i will be disappointed. However i will still front up next year with the same expectations and my expectations for next year based on how we are trending atm is i expect to be a top 2 or 3 side. That opinion is based on what i see now and where i can see us heading and not what may happen for the rest of this year

I think it really depends on how you look at it. I went back over the last 25 seasons (1990-2014) and found that six flags (24%) were won by a team that didn't win a final the previous year, including three (12%) won by teams who didn't even make the finals in the previous year. Now those percentages may not sound terribly high but when you consider that four flags (16%) were won by reigning premiers and another five by teams who had won a flag in the previous three seasons, five of 16 (drought-breaking) flags (31%) were won by teams who had not won a final the previous year.

Last edited:

Thing is to me, we can beat anyone anywhere. But we lose to dropkick sides occasionally. That is, we are a damn good team but still learning how to be that 100% on team no matter what. In the finals we should be 100% on as it always last chance (sort of). Right now we should get some idea if they are turned on as they are shooting for a top 4 gig.

However, next year they will know what they are capable of and should be able to turn that on from the start of the season. Then as they accept being the hunted they learn to be Hawthorn, (old) Geelong, Sydney like. Especially the young guys like CEllis, Lennon etc should have their attitude shaped by being in a tough quality winning team. They should learn to be top quality 100% on guys. That should extend our stay in the top. Lots of should there. But if we go top 4 and win that first week, then we might just do it this year. 2016 on we look like we should be a top 4 team and contender. Just hope the Hawks, Freo and Sydney drop as they age. Leave us a window of few competitors until GWS/GC come on.

Jesus everyone loves to jump on us, we've lost to som pretty average teams this year, our core is still young but we are missing a few pieces still

Agree, seems some like to pump us up so they feel justified in sinking the boots in if we fall short. If we jag one? (Great), but steady as she goes in our climb, is fine by me....(Long term culture change, regular finals appearances, GF Win... ETC).

We still need to improve our list, GWS & Gold Coast will be tough to beat over the next 12-24 months. We need a few more pieces to the puzzle just yet but we are looking like we are heading in the right direction.

Nobody got with 10 goals of Geelong that year. Nearly all our wins have been tight. Nothing alike.

Oh, weren't they two and three at the start of the season? Then they lost to Port in the final rounds. Then they scraped into the Grand Final by about five points on the back of bulldust free kick for deliberate against Collingwood in the Preliminary Final.

Oh, weren't they two and three at the start of the season? Then they lost to Port in the final rounds. Then they scraped into the Grand Final by about five points on the back of bulldust free kick for deliberate against Collingwood in the Preliminary Final.

Geelong were daylight ahead of anyone that year

i just get sick of everyone saying if we don't a final this year isn't a success. So what we win a final, we will be happy to lose the next one. Dimmas reply to that answer was the best. Unless you win the flag no matter weather you go out in the 1st 2nd 3rd week or get beat in the Grand final, either way you leave the ground disappointed, and it won't mean that you are automatically going to win or lose more games the following year.
I want to win the comp this year, if we don't i will be disappointed. However i will still front up next year with the same expectations and my expectations for next year based on how we are trending atm is i expect to be a top 2 or 3 side. That opinion is based on what i see now and where i can see us heading and not what may happen for the rest of this year
Bingo. Two likes for this

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They finished 3 games clear of 2nd. They finished the H&A season with a percentage of 153%, and lifted it to 160% after finals. Ours is 112%.

They won 12 games by 50+, Richmond have won just 1 so far. They won 3 games by 100+.

We still need to improve our list, GWS & Gold Coast will be tough to beat over the next 12-24 months. We need a few more pieces to the puzzle just yet but we are looking like we are heading in the right direction.
Don't under estimate stiles and the dogs
Richo is a very smart coach and knows what players are needed to build a list to a very high standard
After GwS the Saints are my next concern followed by the Dogs
The Suns are not even close yet
Now is the time to go for it

They finished 3 games clear of 2nd. They finished the H&A season with a percentage of 153%, and lifted it to 160% after finals. Ours is 112%.

They won 12 games by 50+, Richmond have won just 1 so far. They won 3 games by 100+.

That is impressive - but, as good as they were, they did have a tendency to put in an ordinary one under pressure.

Something we saw again in the 2008 Grand Final.

Different game now.:oops:

We came into form last year winning 9 straight.Then we went to s**t all of a sudden:confused:

I went to the 1998 GF. North had won 9 in a row, and were expected to cruise against Adelaide. Then North couldn't kick straight and.................

You can't stay up forever. The longer you are, the more the opposition put in the work against you.

Friday night is for me the really big game.
I'm pretty confident the playing group are at a stage where they really truly believe they can do anything and fear nobody.
You can can just see it the way they carry themselves now.
That's great and I'm really pumped with it but then there is the maturity level.
That's a bit of an unknown and we get the best test possible this week with a tough back up off a great win, but one we should be winning now.
No excuse.
And if they do I firmly believe they'll start thinking "you know what? This is the time"
The last two years finals disappointments will have done them good. They've tasted it, both finals pressure footy and the bitter disappointment of failure.
I don't think we are as far off as some think, and I also believe that this season is as good a time as any.
They just keep meeting challenges but as I say this Friday is one that has forever dogged us.
The big let down after a win of last weeks magnitude.
Win this week playing in the manner in which we have and I'll be putting no limits on where they go this season, nor will the players I reckon.

I think it really depends on how you look at it. I went back over the last 25 seasons (1990-2014) and found that six flags (24%) were won by a team that didn't win a final the previous year, including three (12%) won by teams who didn't even make the finals in the previous year. Now those percentages may not sound terribly high but when you consider that four flags (16%) were won by reigning premiers and another five by teams who had won a flag in the previous three seasons, five of 16 (drought-breaking) flags (31%) were won by teams who had not won a final the previous year.
How many have won one where the core group of players hadn't won a final at all? Pretty sure that's what they're saying. The thing about our group of players is that they don't seem to want to be put in theses neat little packages the media do. Last year they would have said we couldn't make finals at 3-10 because no one else had ever done it. Records are made to be broken and if we can win a final this year then the monkey is off the back and there's no reason we can't win another the next week and the week after and so on.

I went to the 1998 GF. North had won 9 in a row, and were expected to cruise against Adelaide. Then North couldn't kick straight and.................

You can't stay up forever. The longer you are, the more the opposition put in the work against you.
agree ,but i can give you cases suggesting the opposite

How many have won one where the core group of players hadn't won a final at all? Pretty sure that's what they're saying. The thing about our group of players is that they don't seem to want to be put in theses neat little packages the media do. Last year they would have said we couldn't make finals at 3-10 because no one else had ever done it. Records are made to be broken and if we can win a final this year then the monkey is off the back and there's no reason we can't win another the next week and the week after and so on.
It's all ours then :D.
Hope we miss top 4 and win the flag. More exciting games for us after being starved for so long. And to shove it up em.

Tiges are playing with such confidence ... not seen at this level for 25 years!
... sure the Wharfies are praying yous don't finish 4th ... clearly got the wood on them!!!

Give yas all the mail ..All aboardddd the Tiger Train!!!!!!

a.daa-small-Train-Tiger-Tuning.jpg
That's a leopard

Remove this Banner Ad

Back