The Vagaries Of Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Been meaning to start this for a while about football matters that when you really think about it you go :rolleyes:

1. They still have the power to report BUT when was the last time a boundary umpire or goal umpire reported an AFL player????????????

2. Players generally are not allowed to kick the screw punt because of the high error rate BUT have free reign to do reverse punts from anywhere from 10mtrs to 50mtrs out????????????????????

3. Why is it that only high draft pick recruits get homesick????????????

4. Why is that we watch teams chip the ball around the park for 3 qtrs with fancy ball movement strategies BUT in the last qtr when the game has to be won they kick the ball long to the goalsquare????????????????? IF that is how they think they can win the game couldn't they have done it earlier???????

Any thoughts or other football vagaries that come to mind

Re: The Vagouries Of Football

Wayne's-World said:
Been meaning to start this for a while about football matters that when you really think about it you go :rolleyes:

1. They still have the power to report BUT when was the last time a boundary umpire or goal umpire reported an AFL player????????????

2. Players generally are not allowed to kick the screw punt because of the high error rate BUT have free reign to do reverse punts from anywhere from 10mtrs to 50mtrs out????????????????????

4. Why is that we watch teams chip the ball around the park for 3 qtrs with fancy ball movement strategies BUT in the last qtr when the game has to be won they kick the ball long to the goalsquare????????????????? IF that is how they think they can win the game couldn't they have done it earlier???????

Any thoughts or other football vagouries that come to mind

Yes, why do you spell vagaries 'vagouries"? ;) :p

4. Is the interesting one to me. We have been beaten or nearly beaten on several occasions this year in the last quarter when our opponent has stopped fart-arsing the ball around with little chips, and attacked with long direct kicking staright down the ground.

I share your confusion at this. What the hell were their coaches thinking for the first 3 quarters, and why don't they make the successsful type of play their standard play?

Sydney in recent weeks have also been a very good example of this vagary.

Wayne's-World said:

Any thoughts or other football vagaries that come to mind

Why is it the majority of the Port Power supporter base doesn't walk upright?

Crow-mosone said:
looking for change on the footpath

Abbott and Costello
Lewis and Martian
Pryor and Wilder
Bart and Millhouse
springy and Crow-mosone
Classic comedy :D

Edit the set up line was springys :eek:

Crow-mosone said:
looking for change on the footpath

That is legitimately top comedy. You have grown in my estimation, to "dwarf".

Any thoughts or other football vagaries that come to mind[/QUOTE said:
Why don't defenders lift their teammates up on the goal line rugby union style to touch a ball that is just out of reach?

cro_Magnum said:
Why don't defenders lift their teammates up on the goal line rugby union style to touch a ball that is just out of reach?

i once thought this too, but apparently is illegal. Would change the game a bit if it wasnt cause you could to it on the goal line, and even in the forward which would be interesting

Why dont players bend down behind a pack to give a teamate a free ride? :D
Why dont 15 players lock arms in a circle to protect the ball carrier and slowly walk to goals? :D

Wayne's-World said:
I was going to offer Begley and Ladhams as counter-examples only to find that, surprisingly, they were taken as high as 22 & 23 in the 1998 draft.

My guess is that, if your observation is correct, of the players young enough to get homesick, only the highly drafted players have enough bargaining power to demand to be sent home.

P.S. What's a "reverse punt"?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

jc67 said:
Why dont players bend down behind a pack to give a teamate a free ride? :D
Why dont 15 players lock arms in a circle to protect the ball carrier and slowly walk to goals? :D

Because 17 players would be better

jc67 said:

What do you think Crows were doing in closed training?
Now you've spoiled it!
They'll have to think of something else, like 17 of them tucking pretend footballs under their jumpers.

DaveW said:
P.S. What's a "reverse punt"?
Bannana or checkside which is way more prone to error than the screw punt yet it is OK and the screw punt isn't :confused:

The screw punt adds 15-20mtrs to a kick, beats the flood, and most importantly in a long kick to the goal square is emminantly easier for a GOOD forward to read than a defender because the defender has to worry about reading the kick and his opponent.

The drop punt works in the favour of the defender because of the kicks predictability.

Why do the umpires insist on wearing a "pretty" colour when white will do?

Im talking about the colour clash that does occur from time to time when "yellow" for example is worn during a West Coast game....eh??

Wayne's-World said:
Why do umpires change color uniforms yet still manage to clash with competing teams????????????

Why do team colours clash with each other? We must be the only sport in the world where this goes on. Even teams like Man U, much more famous than collingwood or essendon, have an alternate strip.

Wayne's-World said:
Bannana or checkside which is way more prone to error than the screw punt yet it is OK and the screw punt isn't :confused:

The screw punt adds 15-20mtrs to a kick, beats the flood, and most importantly in a long kick to the goal square is emminantly easier for a GOOD forward to read than a defender because the defender has to worry about reading the kick and his opponent.

The drop punt works in the favour of the defender because of the kicks predictability.
Fair point actually.

Take Doughty last week. We saw him have a good crack with a torpedo from 70-80 metres out on the three quarter time siren.

Yet during the 2nd quarter, he was 50-55 out and sought to pass off, unsuccessfully.

Now I don't know if it's team rules or what... But is trying to pinpoint a pass into a congested forward line any less "low percentage" than having a crack with a torp?

DaveW said:
Fair point actually.

Take Doughty last week. We saw him have a good crack with a torpedo from 70-80 metres out on the three quarter time siren.

Yet during the 2nd quarter, he was 50-55 out and sought to pass off, unsuccessfully.

Now I don't know if it's team rules or what... But is trying to pinpoint a pass into a congested forward line any less "low percentage" than having a crack with a torp?
If players are allowed to practice the bannana benders why not the torp?

I know the drop kick is dead (no reason to ressurect) BUT I can see huge merit in the torp being a regular skill in the game.

But I think the coaches are at fault here because like the centre bounce they want predictability and that is not what makes this or any other game great

Wayne's-World said:
If players are allowed to practice the bannana benders why not the torp?

I know the drop kick is dead (no reason to ressurect) BUT I can see huge merit in the torp being a regular skill in the game.
[/B]

I remember reading that the longest kick recorded was'nt a torp but a dropkick - why not bring it back if your'e going for distance

Remove this Banner Ad

Back