Universal Love Great images from the history of the Adelaide Football Club

Remove this Banner Ad

Still have nightmares over that game

Interesting free kick stats from that day - despite being 7 goals up at half time, the frees were 16 to 13 in Essendon's favour. At the end of the game it was 32-15 Essendon's way.

We got 2 free kicks in the 2nd half.

Yep, same here...a horrible feeling after that game.

Watched it with my best mate (who's no longer with us) and we were absolutely shattered.

I used to watch the first half on replay though (good ol' VHS), just cos we played so damn good...Modra and Hodges both playing well, Rehn's mark (and missed goal)...but a great half doesn't often win you a game ☹️

Modra's best grab and he didn't even need to take it as it was already going through for a goal. Shoulder ride over Martyn in the goal square.

This one wasn't the shoulder ride one, this was a different one (same match though I believe). This is the one where he kept his feet on the landing, then kicked a point from 5cm out because he kicked it 50m up in the air and it went over the post.

Both were going to go through for a goal though.

Yep, same here...a horrible feeling after that game.

Watched it with my best mate (who's no longer with us) and we were absolutely shattered.

I used to watch the first half on replay though (good ol' VHS), just cos we played so damn good...Modra and Hodges both playing well, Rehn's mark (and missed goal)...but a great half doesn't often win you a game ☹️
Andrew Jarman blames himself for missing an easy goal too that he'd kick 99 times out of 100

This one wasn't the shoulder ride one, this was a different one (same match though I believe). This is the one where he kept his feet on the landing, then kicked a point from 5cm out because he kicked it 50m up in the air and it went over the post.

Both were going to go through for a goal though.
That one where kicked it high on the goal line I was behind the goals that day it actually went through the goals but on its way back down hit the back side of the post as it was spinning backwards, terribly unlucky

That one where kicked it high on the goal line I was behind the goals that day it actually went through the goals but on its way back down hit the back side of the post as it was spinning backwards, terribly unlucky
I couldn't find a clip of the kick for the life of me, but I distinctly remember watching it and seeing him arguing that it went through then came back. Good to know he was telling the truth.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I couldn't find a clip of the kick for the life of me, but I distinctly remember watching it and seeing him arguing that it went through then came back. Good to know he was telling the truth.
There was a freaky goal by Pavlich I think and the ball landed in the field of play and given a goal.

like it went through on an angle and blew inwards somehow

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Definitely, Modra's greatest grab was against Brisbane in 1994, on Richard Champion...was way better than G Ablett's Mark (non-mark) 😠
I think it was against Richmond in a 100 point win at footy park. Troy Bond couldn't believe he took it. Shoulders with no hand assistance, one grab. Amazing.

785C765B-20CB-4D1B-B097-535205479D1F.jpeg
LAIRD: ”We’ve got too many hot young midfielders developing, can I have my old spot back at HBF?”
SMITH: “Not a chance, Rory”

Last edited:
Still have nightmares over that game

Interesting free kick stats from that day - despite being 7 goals up at half time, the frees were 16 to 13 in Essendon's favour. At the end of the game it was 32-15 Essendon's way.

We got 2 free kicks in the 2nd half.
Would Cornsey have stayed after 94 if we won that game. Somehow the "We need a Victorian" to advance so we got the coach of a side going out of business.

Would Cornsey have stayed after 94 if we won that game. Somehow the "We need a Victorian" to advance so we got the coach of a side going out of business.
We'd have won the flag if we won that game

Remove this Banner Ad

Back