Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2006
AFL Club
Essendon
'Sarah' can blow me.

Once a Bomber family

Essendon ASADA verdict: Mum’s intuition saves son from deal

CHIP LE GRAND THE AUSTRALIAN APRIL 02, 2015 12:00AM

When the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority was desperate for a scalp and the AFL was searching for a way out of its protracted drugs scandal, it took a mother’s instinct to prevent her son from making a terrible mistake.

Stewart Crameri, a former Essendon forward traded to the Western Bulldogs after the Bombers’ ill-fated 2012 season, may well have pleaded guilty and fractured the resolve of former teammates accused of doping had his mother not intervened.

Crameri does not believe he took a banned substance as part of Stephen Dank’s 2012 regime yet the AFL’s speculative offer in January this year of an eight-week ban for a guilty plea was sorely tempting.

Rather than face the uncertain outcome of an AFL tribunal hearing, the talented forward could guarantee his availability for his new club for most of the season.

To understand what was on offer, he need only consider NRL players already back in training after serving token bans.

Crameri’s lawyer, Patrick Gordon, the son of Bulldogs president Peter Gordon, was worried about the strength of the case against his client. Crameri’s father Bernie just wanted the saga to end for his son.

Mandy Crameri, a 59-year-old former schoolteacher from the Victorian country town of Maryborough, was having none of it. “We talked about it as a family,” she told The Australian. “I kept coming back and saying no, you can’t take a deal, you have got to keep pushing through. If you take a deal you will pull everyone down with you. You have got to keep hoping that the truth will eventually come out.”

When ASADA first offered a six-month deal to all 34 players in June last year, it paid special attention to Crameri in the belief he would be more likely to cop a plea than footballers still playing at Essendon. ASADA expected Crameri to jump at the offer of a six-week ban and for others to quickly follow. It didn’t believe it would ever have to prove its case at a hearing.

What ASADA didn’t realise is Mrs Crameri held no fear for what its investigation had found. In February 2012, when Essendon players were asked to sign consent forms to be administered with four substances including the Thymosin peptide at the centre of the doping case, Crameri took the form home to his mum. Together, mother and son researched the various substances and checked their status on the WADA website. Mrs Crameri says their belief then and now is the Thymosin administered by Mr Dank was a natural supplement also known as Thymomodulin. “I am a great believer in eating properly and doing the right thing by your body,” she said. “I couldn’t see there was any problem with it.”

Mrs Crameri believes ASADA chief executive Ben McDevitt’s rhetoric since the collapse of the doping case continues to distort what happened at Essendon. Mr McDevitt has accused Essendon of treating its players like pincushions by administering “hundreds if not thousands of injections”.

Mrs Crameri said injections were only a problem if they contained banned drugs.

Top thread I must say

Mandy Crameri, a 59-year-old former schoolteacher from the Victorian country town of Maryborough, was having none of it. “We talked about it as a family,” she told The Australian. “I kept coming back and saying no, you can’t take a deal, you have got to keep pushing through. If you take a deal you will pull everyone down with you. You have got to keep hoping that the truth will eventually come out.”

So when is this truth going to come out? We are still waiting

'Sarah' can blow me.

Once a Bomber family

Essendon ASADA verdict: Mum’s intuition saves son from deal

CHIP LE GRAND THE AUSTRALIAN APRIL 02, 2015 12:00AM

When the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority was desperate for a scalp and the AFL was searching for a way out of its protracted drugs scandal, it took a mother’s instinct to prevent her son from making a terrible mistake.

Stewart Crameri, a former Essendon forward traded to the Western Bulldogs after the Bombers’ ill-fated 2012 season, may well have pleaded guilty and fractured the resolve of former teammates accused of doping had his mother not intervened.

Crameri does not believe he took a banned substance as part of Stephen Dank’s 2012 regime yet the AFL’s speculative offer in January this year of an eight-week ban for a guilty plea was sorely tempting.

Rather than face the uncertain outcome of an AFL tribunal hearing, the talented forward could guarantee his availability for his new club for most of the season.

To understand what was on offer, he need only consider NRL players already back in training after serving token bans.

Crameri’s lawyer, Patrick Gordon, the son of Bulldogs president Peter Gordon, was worried about the strength of the case against his client. Crameri’s father Bernie just wanted the saga to end for his son.

When ASADA first offered a six-month deal to all 34 players in June last year, it paid special attention to Crameri in the belief he would be more likely to cop a plea than footballers still playing at Essendon. ASADA expected Crameri to jump at the offer of a six-week ban and for others to quickly follow. It didn’t believe it would ever have to prove its case at a hearing.

What ASADA didn’t realise is Mrs Crameri held no fear for what its investigation had found. In February 2012, when Essendon players were asked to sign consent forms to be administered with four substances including the Thymosin peptide at the centre of the doping case, Crameri took the form home to his mum. Together, mother and son researched the various substances and checked their status on the WADA website. Mrs Crameri says their belief then and now is the Thymosin administered by Mr Dank was a natural supplement also known as Thymomodulin. “I am a great believer in eating properly and doing the right thing by your body,” she said. “I couldn’t see there was any problem with it.”

Mrs Crameri believes ASADA chief executive Ben McDevitt’s rhetoric since the collapse of the doping case continues to distort what happened at Essendon. Mr McDevitt has accused Essendon of treating its players like pincushions by administering “hundreds if not thousands of injections”.

Yeah. Cute article and all. Um. Does she at any point explain why checking Thymosin on the website instantly lead to a conclusion that it must be Thymomodulin? That's all a bit weird. But cute because she is a footy mum. And I like that she believes in eating properly. This is sound advice and has pretty much changed my life just on one reading. I hope 'properly' includes tacos.

Whatever. This is silly. But all the threads are silly at this point so it kind of blends in. What really interests me is how soon I can leave work without attracting attention and go to the pub. Where I plan to talk about something not Essendon or drug related. Or maybe I'll just get hammered and speak to nobody.

Love how the HTB was so upset when Sarah called in. Suddenly now a "As a parent' opinion is worth zilch.
Nah - Sarah saga was worth zilch too.

I've got no real objection to the article, it's cute. Just dunno what its for.

Guess that makes the mothers who fear all was not well with those injections, unreal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Love how the HTB was so upset when Sarah called in. Suddenly now a "As a parent' opinion is worth zilch.

Hypocrites

"Sarah" was about 2 years ago. The case was still breaking, people were still forming opinions.

A lot of things have happened between then and now, including the actual judgement.

Now we know for a fact that Essendon have injected their players with substances unknown to the players and a large portion of the club.

The above article doesnt provide any new information, in fact its a little sad in that it shows this particular family has a poor understanding of just what happened.

“I am a great believer in eating properly and doing the right thing by your body,” she said. “I couldn’t see there was any problem with it.”

So she has no problem with her son being injected with unknown substances?

"Together, mother and son researched the various substances and checked their status on the WADA website. Mrs Crameri says their belief then and now is the Thymosin administered by Mr Dank was a natural supplement also known as Thymomodulin."

Hmm... so she has google and can assure herself that she knows what is being injected, and the tribunal can't? Guess they don't have google.

On AndrewB! Thanks for introducing me to Mrs Nicelady and all. It's been worthwhile. I wanted to take the opportunity to say that before someone locks this thread...

:)

does anyone else imagine Mrs Crameri like this:

0bkTxbj.jpg

does anyone else imagine Mrs Crameri like this:

0bkTxbj.jpg
Hey Lance
I just thought I would make the comment that maybe what we read in the media may not exactly be the case
Just saying
The reaction of the players mum and how it is portrayed and used by Chip in this article is .....amusing
To say the least
Anyway, carry on

Wow, what a pathetic organisation.

They don't care about justice, so long as they can claim a win and make themselves look good, even if it's at the expense of young player's careers and livelihoods.

Thank God Stewy stayed true.

When will the EFC sue Crameri for breaching the confidentiality agreement? How did they come to the conclusion that "Thymomodulin" was used and not TA1 or TB4 and if there was any doubt about what type was used then where is there receipt number for when they enquired with ASADA?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back