FTA-TV The Wire

Remove this Banner Ad

yostring1.jpg

Just came across an essay Simon wrote about his time as a newspaper reporter - and the demise of the industry - right before S5 aired. A lot of the news related stuff that ended up in the show gets detailed.

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a4115/david-simon-0308/?src=spr_TWITTER&spr_id=1456_191772582

"An honest mistake," he explains.

"John, there's nothing honest about it. This bullshit about having impact and winning prizes? It leads to s**t like this. The guy's making up meetings that never happened. There are quotes that no one ever said."

"It was a misunderstanding."

"It's the third time you've retracted one of this guy's stories. Not corrections -- I'm talking about the very premise of the story having to be retracted."

"What were the other two?"

It took me a long moment to regroup.

"John," I said finally, "if I was the editor of a major metropolitan daily and I had to retract three stories by the same reporter, I would remember it until the day I ******* died."

Last edited:

I feel like Chris gets overshadowed by Snoop but he was ice cold for sure, IMO he's the best 'soldier' of them all. That scene where he beats Michael's dad to death because he's a child molester is one of the most chilling scenes in the whole show.
My left field choice for greatest soldier of them all is Sergei "Boris" Malotov. The "did he have hands, did he have a face, then it wasn't us" quote is about as cold as it gets. :D

So many great scenes. So many great characters. I still can't decide who my favourite character is. Omar, Bubs, Bunk, Bodie, Snoop, Marlo, Prop Jo....The list goes on. Currently about 1/2 through season 3 again. Got my 18yo daughter hooked on it this time. She be lovin it. Oh, Indeed!!
I've spend too many hours thinking about this but at the end of the day I don't think anyone tops Commissioner Valchek for sheer bastedry, pettiness and hilariousness.

Really though, the strength of the show and what distinguishes it from every other show ever made is that there are about 15-20 main characters and its just too difficult to choose a favorite :(

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One thing I have always wondered. When Brother Mouzone sends his sidekick into the Gay Bar when they are trying to find Omar, Bill Rawles is sitting at the bar. When I first saw it I thought it may have been significant, but it never gets referenced again throughout the whole show. Was it just to let us know that the tough talking boss is gay? Not sure. I remember waiting gor something to come of it, but it never did.

For those wondering what has happened to the bloke who played Ziggy post-The Wire:

http://grantland.com/hollywood-pros...shed-his-iconic-wire-character-and-broke-out/

There's also a really important bit of Wire info in there.

It was a prosthetic utensil.

He was a nutter on The Wire.
I was watching an ep on the season 2 DVD with Dominic West & Michael K Williams [McNulty & Omar] doing the commentary and that was the first i'd heard Chris Bauer [Ziggy's dad] was actually wearing a fat suit.Because his face looks chubby you wouldn't guess he was wearing one.

One thing I have always wondered. When Brother Mouzone sends his sidekick into the Gay Bar when they are trying to find Omar, Bill Rawles is sitting at the bar. When I first saw it I thought it may have been significant, but it never gets referenced again throughout the whole show. Was it just to let us know that the tough talking boss is gay? Not sure. I remember waiting gor something to come of it, but it never did.
I think it's just some random character development. I think there is also another seen related to it later on. When Danials has just been promoted to Rawles job he is sitting in his new office (Rawles old one) and gets a phone call. You don't hear anything said but presumably it gives Rawles secret away because Danials pulls the most most hilarious smug grin I've ever seen. That's how I interpreted it anyway.

It could also be that they were going to go somewhere further with it but decided not to. Kind of similar to how apparently Randy and Cheeses son.

I've been watching again on Foxtel too. Have to say I wasn't a fan of season 2 the first time around but really enjoyed it this time. I think I was just so impatient to see them off the docks and back in the towers that I missed a lot of great things.

Looking forward to season 3 this weekend. It really is brilliant television.

I've been watching again on Foxtel too. Have to say I wasn't a fan of season 2 the first time around but really enjoyed it this time. I think I was just so impatient to see them off the docks and back in the towers that I missed a lot of great things.

One of the best bits in S2 is where the dock workers pinch the police surveillance van and send it all around the world and each port takes photos and sends them to Major Valchek :D

I think it's just some random character development. I think there is also another seen related to it later on. When Danials has just been promoted to Rawles job he is sitting in his new office (Rawles old one) and gets a phone call. You don't hear anything said but presumably it gives Rawles secret away because Danials pulls the most most hilarious smug grin I've ever seen. That's how I interpreted it anyway.

It could also be that they were going to go somewhere further with it but decided not to. Kind of similar to how apparently Randy and Cheeses son.
Yeah I thought he was just being pretty happy with himself for landing the new job. Perhaps you are right though. It could be interpreted that way

Season 2 really grew on me the second time around.

I have it ranked much higher than I originally did. I appreciated the decaying city/death of the blue collar worker vibe so much more on the repeat viewing.

Nothing can change my mind about the contempt I hold for season 5, however.

Brother Mouzone's sidekick [Lamar] is DeAndre McCullough from the David Simon TV mini-series The Corner.Not the actor who played DeAndre,it's the real life DeAndre [now deceased after a drug overdose 3 years ago]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back