Things That s**t Me (Video Game edition)

There's on dislike button but yep :( lol

Is it because of a faulty disc or are you on pc and can't get it to fire up on another operating system ?

I havn't tried playing the psx or pc version in years, but the fond memories of playing it in the late 90's through to the mid 2000's remain :).
It's the PSX version which I bought when it first came out and it appears the disc is faulty :(

Last time I played it I tried a one dayer against Sri Lanka and I put on manual fielding. First ball was a cover drive that didn't quite make the boundary rope so I chased after it and couldn't find the ball :D

Achievements that require you to play the online mode, when only 6 people will play the online in the games lifespan, and therefore it is impossible to find any other players.

To be honest, not a lot pisses me off in a broader sense about the industry.

My biggest one is probably digital game pricing in Australia. I really want to go all digital (Slowly replacing my 360, PS3 and even a touch of Wii libraries with digital), but man, paying $99.95 or more for digital when I can get the disc for $65-$75 just makes it impossible to justify. I think for Australia, $39.95 would be the sweet spot for new games being released digitally where pretty much everyone would make the switch.

More specifically? I wish Microsoft never reneged on their original vision for the Xbox One. Then the above would be rendered moot for at least one of my consoles. Pay disc prices but have the sweet digital experience. But you know, apparently people dont' have internet in 2013 and beyond so they cry like babies.

More specifically? I wish Microsoft never reneged on their original vision for the Xbox One. Then the above would be rendered moot for at least one of my consoles. Pay disc prices but have the sweet digital experience. But you know, apparently people dont' have internet in 2013 and beyond so they cry like babies.

Did the Lizard Squad incident over Christmas not highlight the problems with an 'always online' infrastructure not show the world that Microsoft did the world a favour when they pulled their 180?. Had Microsoft continued with its vision then people's entire gaming catalogs would have been inaccessible after 24 hours.

The ability to cripple an entire system would have made them a bigger target as well.

There is also the fact that their vision didn't resonate with the wider community of gamers, which was justified because with the way they were intending of implementing their digital future, they were essentially removing a bunch of gamers rights and not offering enough in return for taking those rights away. It wasn't a case of people crying like babies, it was more a case of a company grossly misreading the market and then being rather insulting about it. Sony did the same thing in 2005-6.

Did the Lizard Squad incident over Christmas not highlight the problems with an 'always online' infrastructure not show the world that Microsoft did the world a favour when they pulled their 180?. Had Microsoft continued with its vision then people's entire gaming catalogs would have been inaccessible after 24 hours.

The ability to cripple an entire system would have made them a bigger target as well.

There is also the fact that their vision didn't resonate with the wider community of gamers, which was justified because with the way they were intending of implementing their digital future, they were essentially removing a bunch of gamers rights and not offering enough in return for taking those rights away. It wasn't a case of people crying like babies, it was more a case of a company grossly misreading the market and then being rather insulting about it. Sony did the same thing in 2005-6.

All that's happened, is that the inevitable has been delayed. Even now, people have had issues playing their PS4 games offline due to various DRM based snafus. Both these consoles were designed with always on in mind. The lizard squad thing come with the territory. It's going ot happen. Both Sony and Microsoft will need to get better at dealing with it.

I'm tired of being held back by shortminded gamers with insecurities over the internet. Maybe Microsoft would have implemented a system whereby if Xbox Live is down and you need to "check in" then you put the disc in? We'll never know.

But Microsoft received similar backlash for ditching Dial up in the OG Xbox too and look at where we are now as a result. Sometimes plebs need to be pushed into the future. Sony was pretty clearly going to go with both an included camera (hello, PlayRoom is on every console) and similar DRM, but they clearly quietly canned it when they saw the s**t Microsoft copped for it. Id' say it's the reason both OSes were so damn barebones and overall terrible when they launched.

PEople need ot get over their fear of the internet. If it goes down for a day or so, find something else to do or play a Nintendo console. Problem solved. Steam had no offline mode for the longest time, it evolved. Give the Xbox and PlayStation consoles time to do the same.

I don't think it is purely about being short sighted though. In 2013 the console market wasn't ready for what Microsoft had planned.

You may see it as an all encompasing future, but many looked at them taking away their rights for no extra gain. What Steam offered the community was games at a much cheaper rate than their disc based competition. So people were much more willing to move away from retail because they were essentially trading off resale value for cheaper overall gaming.

When you threaten to take away something from gamers like Microsoft did with used game resale, then you better damn offer something completely amazing to offset that. All the consumers were going to get was a greater restriction of trade.

If Microsoft had of been thorough with their vision, they would have had the pricing to go with it. Give the audience something approaching Steam pricing which would give people the motivation to embrace digital more wholeheartedly and be more willing to give up things in regards to the planned DRM policies.

People aren't fearful of the internet, they are fearful of companies that try and take things from them that they have taken for granted and in some cases relied on to sustain their gaming. Microsoft knew the numbers of just how many 360s were bought and never once connected to the internet and they ignored it. Even worse, they treated them with public disdain when queried about what consumers would do if they didn't have a viable internet connection.

I completely agree with you that a digital future is inevitable, but the way Microsoft went about implementing that future was completely the wrong way. It's no coincidence that many of the key decision makers in 2013 have been reallocated or moved on by 2015. Spencer was the best thing to happen to the Xbox division since Gears of War.

I completely agree with you that a digital future is inevitable, but the way Microsoft went about implementing that future was completely the wrong way.

The fact that their plan was to have both discs and digital content (which would have been pretty much the same price) and DRM on both of them is stupid. If you're going to go with DRM, then get rid of the discs and go cheap digital only games. Not everyone was ready for a full digital switch so Microsoft tried to go halfway and that failed miserably.

You know that not everyone that pays good money for these consoles and games is in an area with reliable internet, no matter how much coin they drop on it? Wah wah wah, its 2015 and what I want was ruined by dinosaurs who don't like the internet. No, sometimes it isn't that at all. Leave the metro post code every once in a while and you'll discover a device that needs 24hr connection to work is less useful than an original NES in many parts of Australia because of our backwards internet.

You know that not everyone that pays good money for these consoles and games is in an area with reliable internet, no matter how much coin they drop on it? Wah wah wah, its 2015 and what I want was ruined by dinosaurs who don't like the internet. No, sometimes it isn't that at all. Leave the metro post code every once in a while and you'll discover a device that needs 24hr connection to work is less useful than an original NES in many parts of Australia because of our backwards internet.

It's a good point, especially with the Coalition's idea of NBN being laughably behind other countries.

I don't think it is purely about being short sighted though. In 2013 the console market wasn't ready for what Microsoft had planned.

You may see it as an all encompasing future, but many looked at them taking away their rights for no extra gain. What Steam offered the community was games at a much cheaper rate than their disc based competition. So people were much more willing to move away from retail because they were essentially trading off resale value for cheaper overall gaming.

When you threaten to take away something from gamers like Microsoft did with used game resale, then you better damn offer something completely amazing to offset that. All the consumers were going to get was a greater restriction of trade.

If Microsoft had of been thorough with their vision, they would have had the pricing to go with it. Give the audience something approaching Steam pricing which would give people the motivation to embrace digital more wholeheartedly and be more willing to give up things in regards to the planned DRM policies.

People aren't fearful of the internet, they are fearful of companies that try and take things from them that they have taken for granted and in some cases relied on to sustain their gaming. Microsoft knew the numbers of just how many 360s were bought and never once connected to the internet and they ignored it. Even worse, they treated them with public disdain when queried about what consumers would do if they didn't have a viable internet connection.

I completely agree with you that a digital future is inevitable, but the way Microsoft went about implementing that future was completely the wrong way. It's no coincidence that many of the key decision makers in 2013 have been reallocated or moved on by 2015. Spencer was the best thing to happen to the Xbox division since Gears of War.

Sorry, but people need to stop perpetuating this idea that Steam is this cheap haven of gaming.
NEW games are no cheaper on Steam than they are on PSN/XBL/NN. Hell, they barely drop any quicker anymore. Xbox Live and PSN have TONNES of Steam like sales where you pick up games digitally under $10 too.

Under Microsofts original vision, game trading was also going to be allowed as well. The dsics are serialised so I'd assume the retailers that supported trading would have had a tool that unattached the games from your account. The ONLY thing you would have lost is the ability to lend games, and honestly, who the hell cares. Barely anyone lends or borrows games anymore.

The other issue is, this idea of stuff "being taken away" is something else gamers will need to (very begrudgingly) accept. You know all those old game cartridges and discs we "own"? We technically don't own them at all. We're simply licensed to use them. They legally have the right to take those games away from us should they feel the need, they just have no reasonable way of policing that. Nintendo won't come to my house and take my Punch Out cart away from me because I played it on a big screen at the pub you know?

The age we live in now, Nintendo, Microsoft, Sony, Valve, 2K, EA etc etc all now have the means with which to enforce the license agreements attached to their games that have been in existence since day one. It sucks, but it is what it is. But there'd be no reason for them to enforce it, because you know...they like money.

The fact that their plan was to have both discs and digital content (which would have been pretty much the same price) and DRM on both of them is stupid. If you're going to go with DRM, then get rid of the discs and go cheap digital only games. Not everyone was ready for a full digital switch so Microsoft tried to go halfway and that failed miserably.

Their way was best of both worlds.

All the more reason to embrace the Microsoft version. For those without good internet and with tight caps can use the disc as their "delivery method" withou ever having to use their own bandwidth. As to the 24 hour check? Puleeeze. It's now 2015, if you don't have at least one of:

- Semi stable internet
- Smartphone that can tether

Then how are you affording an Xbox One plus the Xbox Live and games required ot run it all? It's bullshit. The 24 hour check in is a tiny check, kilobytes in size. Tether your phone for literally 5 seconds and you've got yourself another period of 24 hours offline.

Back