Games & Recreation Things to see and do in Tasmania.

Remove this Banner Ad

Hobart - Go up Mt Wellington, take a Tasman Island/Bruny/Peppermint Bay Cruise, Visit MONA, visit Salamanca market on a Saturday.

Launceston - Cataract Gorge, visit wineries in the Tamar Valley, play golf at Barnbougle/Lost Farm (must do).

NW Coast - Visit the Nut at Stanley.

East Coast - Definately go to Coles Bay/Freycinet (Wineglass Bay). Mariah Island.

Go to King &/or Flinders Island.

Other beautiful towns to visit - Penguin, St Helens, Swansea, Oatlands/Ross, Evandale.

Other things in Hobart - stay at Henry Jones IXL, eat at Garigiste, drink somewhere in Salamanca Grape/Cargo/Jack Greene. Wineries in the Coal River Valley. Visit the Tasman Peninsula (obviously Port Arthur, although that's not really my sort of thing).

Best beach in the State for mine is Dennison's on the East Coast (so wild & beautiful).

Strahan is worth it, but a long drive.

Hobart - Go up Mt Wellington, take a Tasman Island/Bruny/Peppermint Bay Cruise, Visit MONA, visit Salamanca market on a Saturday.

Launceston - Cataract Gorge, visit wineries in the Tamar Valley, play golf at Barnbougle/Lost Farm (must do).

NW Coast - Visit the Nut at Stanley.

East Coast - Definately go to Coles Bay/Freycinet (Wineglass Bay). Mariah Island.

Go to King &/or Flinders Island.

Other beautiful towns to visit - Penguin, St Helens, Swansea, Oatlands/Ross, Evandale.

Pretty much all of this. Particularly Wineglass Bay - one of the nicest places in Australia.

I'll add Bicheno on the east coast (spewing I didn't buy a beach house there for $30k in 2000); Pub in the Paddock between Launceston and the east coast nead St Columba Falls for some nostalgia (is it still there?); Lune River down south of Hobart.

Be aware Port Arthur ISN'T a city it is a tourist site.

Amount of people that don't know that always astounds me.
Dont worry I know that much:). I have done some reseach just thought i would start a thread see what people thoughts/and know about tassie check that out on the net and see if its for me and go from there.

So far theres some good things around Launceton ie the gorge it looks great i would like to see that..I like to look of strahan it kinda out of the way though grr.looking at doing the east coast looks like some really good stuff to see and do on my to hobart.

Go and have a steak at the Ball and Chain Steakhouse in Salamanca square.

On the way to Port aurthur, there is a place called Eagle Hawk Neck, from there you can do an awesome coastal boat trip which takes you along the tallest cliffs in the Southern Hemisphere all the way to Tasman Island. Dolphins, Seals, Diving birds etc.. All at a very good price with a great crew.

Hastings caves are pretty cool.

Stop in Sorell just out of Hobart, there is a little cafe opposite Macca's that do a fantastic bacon and eggs breaky and ice-coffee. Perfect fuel for the above said boat trip :eek:)

Russell Falls and the surrounding area is magnificent.

Take a drive along and around the Huon River.

The Nut in Stanley is pretty cool.

So many great places in Tassie.

Thanks for the aboves posts:).Preety sure the plan is Launceston to see the gorge etc then on to cradle mt spending a few days there.strahan then along past/over derwent bridge great lakes area along to the east coast then heading down to hobart spending a few day near coles bay.
You seem to have this pretty well right. Devonport is worth a visit too. I've had some great meals there, though this was ten years ago.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back