Secondary Thinking about becoming a teacher

Remove this Banner Ad

I've been moved into prep for next year. Going to be a big change as I've never taught it

Missus just lost her job for next year teaching primary. Has been teaching for 8 years at the same school on a year by year contract. Luck ran out - c**ts returning from maternity leave and cruise ship holidays want their jobs back.
It's absolute crap this happens. Hope your partner can find an even better school to work at next year.

Just make sure you wash your hands regularly, I've just caught worms for the third time. Eurgh.

Oh I will.. not overly keen being in Prep after being in the senior years for the last 3 years but I've been told its great for my professional knowledge and development

Any secondary teaching grads in WA been offered a placement for next year yet?

Oh I will.. not overly keen being in Prep after being in the senior years for the last 3 years but I've been told its great for my professional knowledge and development

Be prepared to never have a moment's peace but other than that I don't mind teaching them, modifying your language might be a challenge after senior school. Remember to let them play a fair bit, especially in term one.

Obviously not a full time teacher yet and in relative terms I have no idea about any of it..

but with the 4 weeks placement I had in a grade one class, I learnt that squatting down to talk to kids on their table quickly makes your legs sore as hell and there's clearly something wrong with some of the tendons behind my left knee.... ended up kneeling on my knees which was a lot better....

also, my head hit hanging displays...all... the....time....

Obviously not a full time teacher yet and in relative terms I have no idea about any of it..

but with the 4 weeks placement I had in a grade one class, I learnt that squatting down to talk to kids on their table quickly makes your legs sore as hell and there's clearly something wrong with some of the tendons behind my left knee.... ended up kneeling on my knees which was a lot better....

also, my head hit hanging displays...all... the....time....

Teachers and workers comp - like butter on toast

Hi all, I'm currently deciding what subject I should minor in and my two options are information technology or English. Which of these subjects have greater employment possibilities?

Yeah, I absolutely agree with you on that and I already have Physical Education and History as teaching subjects that I enjoy. Also, I'm interested in both English and IT and would be happy to teach either one, but with constant rhetoric about saturation of the teaching market, I feel that it is important to have one subject that can give me an edge.

Hi all, I'm currently deciding what subject I should minor in and my two options are information technology or English. Which of these subjects have greater employment possibilities?

English. I'm majoring in it and I minored in IT. I changed my minor after 1 year as it is complete and utter crap. Most of what you actually learn is basic computer skills and most of my units had nothing to do with what I'd actually be teaching school kids. Other Uni's may be different in what minor units you do so check them out first but I'd recommend not doing it if you are computer literate and don't want to be bored out of your mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey guys, I want to become a teacher. PE teaching with English background.

I am 24 years old, I never had a childhood or an education due to a very abusive family and being kept locked away in a house for a long time.

I have now wanted to start my life in teaching or even just a subject like Law or Youth Working as well. I know how hard it is to get in as a mature age student but I am just wondering what would be my best avenue to go down?

Finally finished my 4 year course, and have received a job - a 1 year contract teaching Grade 6's.

Any tips on establishing a strong behavioral strategy from the start? I don't want these kids walking over me, which has happened with Grade 6's in the past.

Very nervous, and excited at the same time. Start of a new chapter in my life.

Hey guys, I want to become a teacher. PE teaching with English background.

I am 24 years old, I never had a childhood or an education due to a very abusive family and being kept locked away in a house for a long time.

I have now wanted to start my life in teaching or even just a subject like Law or Youth Working as well. I know how hard it is to get in as a mature age student but I am just wondering what would be my best avenue to go down?

PE teaching is a tough one. I tend to tell people to steer clear of it. When you put it into perspective, most primary schools have 1 PE teacher whereas they have a load of classroom teachers. I'd recommend doing a Prep-12 course if you can, if not, generalist primary or high school would be an option for you.

In terms of actually getting into a course, I'm not really a good reference point. I went straight into University after school so my ATAR score put me through. There are plenty of mature age students in my course though. You will be a majority.

how are you supposed to help kids learn anything if you haven't even had an opportunity to learn who you are yet? What perspective are you going to bring to your classroom?

I don't understand how anyone can think a high school graduate straight into a four year teaching degree straight into a classroom is a good idea.... (my cousin just did the same thing...)

Any tips on establishing a strong behavioral strategy from the start? I don't want these kids walking over me, which has happened with Grade 6's in the past.

Very nervous, and excited at the same time. Start of a new chapter in my life.

This,

this

and this

are recommended. Be a hardarse at the start and ease off through the year. Use the whole school discipline plan, if there is one.Concentrate on the behaviour, not the student. Always follow through. Become a good actor. Don't lose your cool. Find a buddy teacher to pack troublemakers off to. Rememember that the kids causing you most trouble probably have s**t parents and maybe a worse than s**t homelife, so be there for them without being their 'mate.' (Oh and never call students mate or sweetheart or any of that stuff, sounds awful and shits me to tears).

Be a good role model. Give plenty of praise and rewards as well as punishments.

I'm not much of a hardarse, I'm a benign god who rules through goodness rather than fear but you can make it work. Frankly, they'll give you the shits so much that you'll work out some method of dealing with them or you'll go crazy.

This,

this

and this

are recommended. Be a hardarse at the start and ease off through the year. Use the whole school discipline plan, if there is one.Concentrate on the behaviour, not the student. Always follow through. Become a good actor. Don't lose your cool. Find a buddy teacher to pack troublemakers off to. Rememember that the kids causing you most trouble probably have s**t parents and maybe a worse than s**t homelife, so be there for them without being their 'mate.' (Oh and never call students mate or sweetheart or any of that stuff, sounds awful and shits me to tears).

Be a good role model. Give plenty of praise and rewards as well as punishments.

I'm not much of a hardarse, I'm a benign god who rules through goodness rather than fear but you can make it work. Frankly, they'll give you the shits so much that you'll work out some method of dealing with them or you'll go crazy.

Thanks mate. Was planning on going in a prick then easing up as the year goes if need be. I want to get the classroom management right. I don't want to come home with a headache everyday like I did in my placement rounds this year.

how are you supposed to help kids learn anything if you haven't even had an opportunity to learn who you are yet? What perspective are you going to bring to your classroom?

I don't understand how anyone can think a high school graduate straight into a four year teaching degree straight into a classroom is a good idea.... (my cousin just did the same thing...)

I've studied 4 years to be where I am. That is a pretty long time. I've gained the knowledge and practice required to be a teacher hence how I got the job in the first place.

Of course I'm young, and the kids will pick up on that. Doesn't make me any different than the 68 year old down the hall who's been teaching for 40 years. If anything, me being a young male gives me a huge advantage in the classroom and also shows that I'm fresh. My brother did the same thing and he seems to be travelling fine. I'm 21, I need to work full time.

I didn't say anything about technical skills about running a classroom, or your ability to relate to your students. I'm sure if you got offered a job then you've been doing well...

I just don't know how your supposed to help kids learn about 'real life' if you've never been outside of the education system -

Primary School > High School > University > Primary School

No other full time work - No travelling - I just don't get it

The first year will be hard, but you'll have more power than you did on prac. Be consistent and referee-like. Kids don't handle teachers bending their perceptions of what the teacher's role is, unless it's "cool teacher" - which then leads to your aforementioned "being walked over". So just be businesslike, and do what the other guy said in relation to school discipline plan, etc. Be the teacher, not their mate, and don't try to redefine teaching as we know it...just be one...

You might need those buddy teachers on hand, but if you do it in a way that makes you look like you're simply following procedure and not palming the kids off because "you can't handle them", you'll be respected. Before that though, get on top of things yourself. Senior teachers get a little annoyed at newer teachers who kick their kids out too often...

And don't get hung up on finding your discipline strategy. There are many, and none of them work all of the time. It's between you and the kids, so just get knowledgeable about them. Takes ages. In the meantime, use the phone, and ring the parents often...

I didn't say anything about technical skills about running a classroom, or your ability to relate to your students. I'm sure if you got offered a job then you've been doing well...

I just don't know how your supposed to help kids learn about 'real life' if you've never been outside of the education system -

Primary School > High School > University > Primary School

No other full time work - No travelling - I just don't get it

I've worked over 6 jobs, just not full time. I haven't really traveled, no, but that's because of the limitation of studying and not having a steady cash income.

I'd like to think I have experienced a lot in my 21 years, but each to his own. I see where you're coming from. I guess it's all about developing as a person and a teacher, which will constantly happen.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back