Thought bubble: reduce no. of players to 16

Remove this Banner Ad

This came up in another thread and is kinda laughable, but what if a player got the ball, and 17 of his teammates formed a barrier around him, and guarded him to the goals. And we successfully turned footy into a rolling union scrum.
Haha nobody will do that. The opposition could still force the ball out and kick it to one of many free players an score a goal. Its silly.

I completely agree with this idea. It's the easiest and most logical solution to the problem of having huge packs. When our game was created 100+ years ago, 18 men were required because of fitness levels. It's a professional sport now and we could easily have 14 per side cover the ground.

This idea in addition to reducing the interchange cap to 15-20 per quarter would open up the game more, the most skillful and exciting players could more frequently display their talents, and player's would hold down more traditional positions rather than just following the footy all over the ground because otherwise they would be stuffed by 3 quarter time.

Would be great to trial in the NAB. The super goal most of us agree doesn't add to the spectacle of our game. Let's trial something else preseason

I'd like to see it, even down to 15. Most field sports are now having similar issues with improved fitness and players covering more ground. Hockey has trialled 9 players (instead of 11) at an international level and I've played locally under those rules and it certainly freed up a lot of space on the field.

One to try in the pre-season.

Last season I forwarded a really unique concept to the league to review, which allocated 1 umpire to each player, to increase primary care for the players and improve QoS

It got rejected, but I got 2 thumbs up from Cambo for my efforts

would reducing the number of players on the field reduce congestion, make players stick to field positions, solve the interchange problem and free up play? And if every clubs list was reduced by two, would the standard of players go up across the comp?
We have no problem with the interchange. No need to reduce the numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back