Anything will grow in Wessex
Sep 27, 2003
the north. (/melb)
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Brotherhood Without Banners
How much authority do they have?

What happens when they demand your name and address and you refuse to say?

Say, if they want someone to show them I.D and that person says they don't have any, can the ticket inspectors search them?

Is there any website with information like this? If not hopefully this thread can become one.

It's posted in trains, if you refuse to tell them your them they have the authority to make you wait either by force till the police arrive. I doubt they have the right to search you.

Basically they have the authority to restrain someone if they run or get physical which probably means they can be forceful.

How much authority do they have?

What happens when they demand your name and address and you refuse to say?

Then they have the power to either arrest you on the spot or contact the police to detain you until you give said details.

Then you'll be charged for resisting to provide info to authorities.

Say, if they want someone to show them I.D and that person says they don't have any, can the ticket inspectors search them?

The police can. I don't think they can legally search you.

Thanks for the replies.

They can't search you, so theoretically you can give a fake name and address to them if you get caught without a ticket and you won't receive your fine? (I've never been given a fine but I'm presuming it's mailed to you?)

Thanks for the replies.

They can't search you, so theoretically you can give a fake name and address to them if you get caught without a ticket and you won't receive your fine? (I've never been given a fine but I'm presuming it's mailed to you?)
If you don't have any i.d on you, they make you give them your details and also the details of a relative, they then ring this relative on the spot and get them to verify your details. So basically you're screwed if you do this and cop a bigger fine. Better off just accepting the $150 fine imo than risking anything bigger.

Its seriosuly easy to avoid getting in trouble.

If you've got a concession and no id just say you lost the ticket.

If you've got no ticket say you lost the ticket.

Don't give bad advice mate.

That's never going to work, especially not against a tight-arse one (which is most of them)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

they are a bunch of dogs,i got busted for not having a concession card so when i gave them my adress and phone number they rang up my home and to make sure that i wasnt lying about living there they told my mother that i had been in an accident and i was in hospital

dirty scumbags who are human filth

Seriously, they're just doing their job and its a pretty sh*t job to have. Must say though it would be satisfying to catch some of those "fare evaders" and bust them, especially if you catch them giving you a fake name and address. Heard one ticket inspector talking on the train to another about how some guy tried to worm his way out of it by giving a fake name, should have heard them laughing about what a d*ckhead the bloke made of himself when his "relative" was some random.

Regarding concession cards, me and my mates never got them until year 12 (last year) and when ticket inspectors came and we couldn't produce concession cards but had concession tickets, we would just play dumb and show them our school id's and play sorry. Never got fined, must have happened about 15 times though. The amount of times I've heard that next time I don't have a concession card on me I'll get fined is getting ridiculous. It really helped being in a group of us though, as I had a friend who left his concession card at home and got a fine.

Inspectors are generally at the bad end of the gene pool - no social skills and they love the power of the uniform. Having said that, they're just doing their job.

Why not buy a ticket? If you don't have the cash to go where you need, get it or don't go. Simple.

If you do plan to fare evade, wear adidas, have a VB stubbie in hand and a smoke behind your ear. Get abusive when they come - they're flat track bullies who are too s**t scared to bust bogan scum, even with their pack mentality.

Regarding concession cards, me and my mates never got them until year 12 (last year) and when ticket inspectors came and we couldn't produce concession cards but had concession tickets, we would just play dumb and show them our school id's and play sorry. Never got fined, must have happened about 15 times though. The amount of times I've heard that next time I don't have a concession card on me I'll get fined is getting ridiculous. It really helped being in a group of us though, as I had a friend who left his concession card at home and got a fine.

Student IDs should be enough anyway. Proves you're a student, hence entitled to concession.

I remember when concession cards were $80 to get. I didn't get one, got caught one day. Yeah, they gave me a fine but I successfully wrote a letter pleading my ignorance and that I was a "poor" uni student and "couldn't afford" a concession card. So what do ya know, they let me off. If you ever get caught, a well written letter may get you off.

If not you could always fight it in court, maybe you'll have a compassionate magistrate. Depends on how well you argue your case you can get off there too, and they have to pay the court costs. :D

Student IDs should be enough anyway. Proves you're a student, hence entitled to concession.

I remember when concession cards were $80 to get. I didn't get one, got caught one day. Yeah, they gave me a fine but I successfully wrote a letter pleading my ignorance and that I was a "poor" uni student and "couldn't afford" a concession card. So what do ya know, they let me off. If you ever get caught, a well written letter may get you off.

If not you could always fight it in court, maybe you'll have a compassionate magistrate. Depends on how well you argue your case you can get off there too, and they have to pay the court costs. :D
I got caught once for not validating my ticket and haveing my feet on the seets. $308 in total

Wrote a letter saying I was a uni student that didn't have much money, it was the last train thus why I didn't validate it as I thoughti'd miss it.

6 weeks later they wrote a letter back cancelling one of the fines, which one was up to me, so I saw that as a weakness, obviously they feel neither are that bad that they couldn't decide which one to give me so I wrote another letter with all this legal mumbo jumbo and hey presto no more fines.

they are a bunch of dogs,i got busted for not having a concession card so when i gave them my adress and phone number they rang up my home and to make sure that i wasnt lying about living there they told my mother that i had been in an accident and i was in hospital

dirty scumbags who are human filth

What a bunch of tossers.

Even though they are bigger scum, a letter to Today Tonight or ACA would have that fine disappear quicker than you can say "sue"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back