Tigers commit to lead on Gender issues

Remove this Banner Ad

At the risk of interrupting the usual BF thread on this sort of subject, it is quite settled that having diverse perspectives in management leads to better performance.

Also noting the countries that enforce a quota system on gender are consistently the best governed in the world. As Grant Thomas might say this thread is focused on the process, not the outcome.

Really? Please explain why. Do you think a footy team will be better coached and more successful if it has women and men rather than just men or just women? This seems to push the notion that women and men are different and think differently. I think this is something feminists have fought against for decades. They believe that women are no different to men and that gender differences are simply a result of social constructs and nothing to do with biology. Therefore one must believe that a company with 25 male staff and one female would have as diverse a range of ideas and perspectives as a staff with 25 women and one man. After all-we are all humans and individuals.

I don't think women would like being token, or only hired to fill a quota, they would want to be hired on merit - otherwise it is kind of insulting for them as it assumes they aren't good enough on merit.

Really? Please explain why. Do you think a footy team will be better coached and more successful if it has women and men rather than just men or just women? This seems to push the notion that women and men are different and think differently. I think this is something feminists have fought against for decades. They believe that women are no different to men and that gender differences are simply a result of social constructs and nothing to do with biology. Therefore one must believe that a company with 25 male staff and one female would have as diverse a range of ideas and perspectives as a staff with 25 women and one man. After all-we are all humans and individuals.

This isn't a question it's a rant.

Another weak effort. Just say you have no intelligent answer or wave a white flag.;)

No point discussing this with you if you can't be civil.
I don't really trust word of mouth and regardless, government management is generally of a 50/50 men/women population, whereas the people who play AFL are 100% male so the point is moot

When you say you don't trust word of mouth - on fairly common knowledge - you mean you can't be bothered looking it up and you are not interested in changing your perspective.

Your point about composition of gender is true but a football club in the AFL is simply a business with a product to sell. And that product is 100% male by gender. It doesn't necessarily follow that the business must be 100% male, and it is limiting in terms of the talent pool to think so, either consciously or unconsciously.

You had already refused to discuss it when you insulted my post by calling it a rant. Don't be a hypocrite. I posed a question which you chose to ignore.

You asked me to please explain why research has found diverse perspectives lead to better economic performance? Or why countries with quotas enforced have better standards of governance?
It is not known why, only that they are correlated.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You asked me to please explain why research has found diverse perspectives lead to better economic performance? Or why countries with quotas enforced have better standards of governance?
It is not known why, only that they are correlated.

Thank you. That is an answer.

I don't think women would like being token, or only hired to fill a quota, they would want to be hired on merit - otherwise it is kind of insulting for them as it assumes they aren't good enough on merit.
Problem is, equal rights groups don't see it as such
They see it as "we have to work harder,"

Like racism, it is true certain groups did have more hardships as e world developed, but it is these exact groups preventing true equality for future generations, by making certain groups question if their colleagues deserve their positions

This topic actually should be on the society board

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:
Im not disagreeing, but just hire the right people then
Dont tell women you will get a 50/50 split if you apply

Whats next? We need 30% Black people on the boards, and 7% Muslim as assistant coaches?

**** it, lets change every board and coaching staff to accurately reflect the population.. Gays blacks woman etc all have a qouta to fill

I agree with the sentiment, they have gone about it horribly wrong

I
Oh no you didn't.
Epic facepalm.
I repeat the question I put to another poster. If all the above is true-why do employers insist on employing men to do the same work that women could do at far less cost? They would make enormous profits.

You know this feminist driven lie has no connection with reality.It continually compares apples with oranges. If any woman is doing the exact same job and has the same experience and works the same hours and doesn't get the same pay her employer is breaking the law. The employer will be fined and punished. It's quite simple. I've read one of the reasons is that females are not as assertive in pushing for pay rises-whose fault is that? I know plenty of assertive females in my line of work!

I am far more concerned about a real workplace gap-the death and injury gap.Funnily enough this receives little to no coverage in feminist circles yet I thought they were all about balance and equity.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/a...e-more-dangerous-so-they-naturally-pay-more-1
#stopthefeminists

Would be interested to see what our percentage of women employed at the club looks like once you remove the football department. I imagine it's still short of the even 50/50 split, but I'd guess the gap closes quite a bit. It's the right move from the club if the idea is to dispel any existing prejudices based on gender and unearth some qualified people who may otherwise have been overlooked, but "quotas" is an ugly word to throw around, as it implies adherence to a predetermined setup.

Whether people like it or not, the football department will always be dominated by ex-football people, it's just the cycle of things. A reasonably intelligent footballer who plays within an elite football environment is always going to have a significant head start over someone from the outside purely because of that exposure. Like it or not, Clarkson, Thompson, Matthews, Sheedy etc. aren't passing their knowledge on at grassroots level in a meaningful way. Sure, Bolton, Searle, and McCartney have found a way into the system (and Bolton's scenario had a decent stroke of luck in it too), but the odds are stacked against them from the start, and that's no one's fault.

The areas that aren't strictly football could be improved when it comes to representation of women, in particular the media where the current standards are often abysmal from the ex-player contingent. Unfortunately from that standpoint though, Kelli Underwood being awful at commentating and Caroline Wilson reporting only on politics and off-field stuff overshadows the Emma Quayle types, forcing media outlets to go with the "safe" option of ex-players.

Positive discrimination is still discrimination.

Exactly. There's no such thing as positive discrimination.

"Doublespeak is language that deliberately disguises, distorts, or reverses the meaning of words."

What better example than a term that attempts to portray discrimination in a positive light?

Is this a football club or a night club they are talking about, one of those two benefit from gender equality....

The few approval seeing jackasses of the world ruin everything everywhere.

I repeat the question I put to another poster. If all the above is true-why do employers insist on employing men to do the same work that women could do at far less cost? They would make enormous profits.

You know this feminist driven lie has no connection with reality.It continually compares apples with oranges. If any woman is doing the exact same job and has the same experience and works the same hours and doesn't get the same pay her employer is breaking the law. The employer will be fined and punished. It's quite simple. I've read one of the reasons is that females are not as assertive in pushing for pay rises-whose fault is that? I know plenty of assertive females in my line of work!

I am far more concerned about a real workplace gap-the death and injury gap.Funnily enough this receives little to no coverage in feminist circles yet I thought they were all about balance and equity.

http://www.businessinsider.com.au/actually-the-gender-pay-gap-is-just-a-myth-2011-3?op=1#1-men-are-far-more-likely-to-choose-careers-that-are-more-dangerous-so-they-naturally-pay-more-1

That's it. As if in a capitalist system employers are going to be 'prejudiced' against anything that would maximise their profits. This is where the argument about a culture of discrimination comes in, since statistically the pay gap is a myth easily explained. Prejudice and cultural biases are more nebulous and often can't be reduced to statistics, so feminists use this to pretend their position is unassailable.

This is the most straightforward explanation of why the pay gap is a myth I've seen:

Why can't men have their own things?

Women are allowed to have their women only things. Leave us be. We need environments where we can get away from the harpies!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back