Tom Hawkins 350 games - What is his standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Probably needs to be judged on his assists & goals rather than just his goals. His consistency over a long time now is just outstanding

I used to think J Riewoldt was ahead but have changed my tune. He’s behind only Buddy for key forwards since his career started (not counting those that were finishing up at the earlier part of his career).

It’s probably:

Buddy
Hawkins
Riewoldt
Kennedy

Always remember that Dermott article way back around 2010 that explained in some detail why Tom Hawkins would not make it as an AFL player.

Always remember that Dermott article way back around 2010 that explained in some detail why Tom Hawkins would not make it as an AFL player.

At the other end of the spectrum Dennis Pagan might have slightly overestimated him with the ‘young Tony Lockett’ comparison but considering it was based off his second game, it was a pretty fair effort

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Could become the first key forward to play 400 games.
Fair effort when you remember how bad his back issues were a decade ago, not to mention key forward is arguably the hardest position on the ground to play.

Has to play every game this season, then go at least into 2026. I don’t think he can do it, much as I’d like him to.

He seems the type that if he had another good year this year - a 40-50 goal season, he’d probably just go around again which would take him up to 390, but to then go another season again is a huge ask.

I used to think J Riewoldt was ahead but have changed my tune. He’s behind only Buddy for key forwards since his career started (not counting those that were finishing up at the earlier part of his career).

It’s probably:

Buddy
Hawkins
Riewoldt
Kennedy
Attached are two screen shots of stats. First one is career stats for both Jack and Tom at the end of the 2023 season, when Jack retired, both were on 347 games each.

The second attachment is Tom's updated stats to reflect first two games so far this 2024 season.

In my opinion, neither is miles ahead of each other. Both wonderful players who have had great careers. I'm prepared to sit on the fence and say dead heat. Their stats are very very similar and it's like splitting hairs to say who is better.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240323_204055_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20240323_204055_Gmail.jpg
    354.8 KB · Views: 118
  • SmartSelect_20240323_203638_Sheets.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240323_203638_Sheets.jpg
    355.2 KB · Views: 121
The stats speak for themselves. In the top 10 key forwards of the 21st century. Has been very consistent and seems to have kept the level and arguably improved for awhile. Also the last of those great Geelong greats that won 4 premierships (and arguably could have won 5 or 6).

The stats speak for themselves. In the top 10 key forwards of the 21st century. Has been very consistent and seems to have kept the level and arguably improved for awhile. Also the last of those great Geelong greats that won 4 premierships (and arguably could have won 5 or 6).

He didn’t play in the 07 GF. He wasn’t even a regular in 09

Remove this Banner Ad

Back