Travis Boak 350 games - what is his standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Great club servant, great player, but truth be told, probably not an all-time great of the game.
I do wonder how differently he would be regarded if he was drafted to Geelong and was a part of their multiple premiership teams.
He would probably be regarded as an all time great, at least level with Selwood.
Likewise, drop Selwood in to Port Adelaide and he'd go out with the same reputation as Boak, maybe even lesser.
350 games is a massive effort and I am so glad he has chosen to stay at Port Adelaide all these years when he had an easy option to leave when Geelong came calling. In my eyes he'll always be a legend, but I can understand why he won't be seen like that by those that don't follow Port Adelaide.

Been excellent for a long time.
If he was at a Melb based club he would have received much more recognition than he has.

But now that he’s got to 350, does Ken ask the question as to whether he is automatically best 22?

Been underwhelming so far this season.
The question will be whether he’s keeping a better younger player out of the side.

Not sure of the Port youngsters playing in the SANFL at the moment, but this year is surely one where Ken goes for it, rather than blood a youngster who isn’t outputting what Travis is currently.

Yeah more a club great than a comp great. And even then, wouldn’t be one of the first few Port players neutrals reminisce about.

I always liked him. Was conjecture around him potentially going elsewhere in 2011 but he stuck fast and became a one club servant.

The 2006 draft are my age and him, Goldy & Tomahawk are the only survivors left now I think. Time flies! There were a few better mids in that draft but you’d be very happy with Boak at pick 5.

Great club servant, great player, but truth be told, probably not an all-time great of the game.
I do wonder how differently he would be regarded if he was drafted to Geelong and was a part of their multiple premiership teams.
He would probably be regarded as an all time great, at least level with Selwood.
Likewise, drop Selwood in to Port Adelaide and he'd go out with the same reputation as Boak, maybe even lesser.
350 games is a massive effort and I am so glad he has chosen to stay at Port Adelaide all these years when he had an easy option to leave when Geelong came calling. In my eyes he'll always be a legend, but I can understand why he won't be seen like that by those that don't follow Port Adelaide.

Boaks a great player but you're out to lunch if you think he is on par with Selwood.

Funnily enough, the first person I thought of was Joel Selwood. As a pure football player, there’s many arguments that they were comparable players.

Joel will always be held as a higher level because he was part of one of the greatest teams of all time and was a premiership captain.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Funnily enough, the first person I thought of was Joel Selwood. As a pure football player, there’s many arguments that they were comparable players.

Joel will always be held as a higher level because he was part of one of the greatest teams of all time and was a premiership captain.
Boaky is a phenomenal bloke and amazing player, don’t know if he’s as natural a leader as Selwood was from Day 1 but he definitely grew in it.

More of a, “let my play do the talking” kind of leader than a vocal one.

I mean statistically they're basically identical over their careers. Selwood averages a kick more, which isn't surprising as he averages 2.5 free kicks a game to Boak's 1.

Selwood played in about 80 more wins across his career, so played in much better sides.

The idea that there's a vast gulf between them is a bit ridiculous. Selwood gets the nod because he's more clutch than Boak.

I mean statistically they're basically identical over their careers. Selwood averages a kick more, which isn't surprising as he averages 2.5 free kicks a game to Boak's 1.

Selwood played in about 80 more wins across his career, so played in much better sides.

The idea that there's a vast gulf between them is a bit ridiculous. Selwood gets the nod because he's more clutch than Boak.
The issue is looking at their awards, Selwood has much better individual awards and vastly superior success.

I’d say Selwood is in the Cotch, Voss, Hodge tier of Captains.

I don’t think I can say the same about Boak. He’s in the Pendles tier below.

The issue is looking at their awards, Selwood has much better individual awards and vastly superior success.

Yes, as a leader I don't think it's debatable that he's well ahead.

I meant purely comparing their output as players I don't think there's that much difference.

Yes, as a leader I don't think it's debatable that he's well ahead.

I meant purely comparing their output as players I don't think there's that much difference.
Well I guess it’s what stats you want to look at but Selwood has double the amount of AAs and more B&Fs. For me that’s a big difference given Boak doesn’t have something else to outweigh that.

Doesn’t matter anyway he is still a great player.

If we are talking only about captains and their leadership and putting a team on there back saying "let's go" then Selwood is up there as is Cotchin, in my opinion.

Book is probably in the tier below but still a good player, good captain too

Remove this Banner Ad

Back