Tom Hawkins 350 games - What is his standing in the game?

Remove this Banner Ad

Also, Capper (Warwick Capper) didn't kick 100+ goals in a season twice, he only did it once - 103 goals in 1987. Also you mention "assists".....do you mean Goal Assists? That stat wasn't recorded in Capper's time as a player.
I’ll confess not every selection is stats supported - OK, drop Capper..I was trying to re-enforce the impact he had on the Swans 86/87(?) seasons. But longevity and return puts him out.

Very good question - great GA but not much else - probably just into 2nd.

GA....you mean Goal Average (per game)? That was 2.46......he had a high ceiling in terms of goals...kicked 80+ goals two years in a row.

I always like to see how many times a key position forward gets to 50+ goals each year. That's also a good indication of consistency too (number of games per season comes into it too)

I’ll confess not every selection is stats supported - OK, drop Capper..I was trying to re-enforce the impact he had on the Swans 86/87(?) seasons. But longevity and return puts him out.

I'd agree with that yep. Bit like Mark "Jacko" Jackson....could obviously play...look at his goal average per game...3.76..in any era thats very good....but longevity was against him - behaviour etc etc.

I'd agree with that yep. Bit like Mark "Jacko" Jackson....could obviously play...look at his goal average per game...3.76..in any era thats very good....but longevity was against him - behaviour etc etc.

Glad you see the nuances - Thats why I didn't include the ‘non keys’…except for Matthews…it’s too hard.

Why is it absurd? The Coleman medal is like the Brownlow medal for a Forward, it's the highest individual award in terms of goal kicking for a forward. It's a bit like in cricket.....you'd take two centuries over someone who couldn't make a century.

Really? You don’t think a player kicking 105 goals while another player kicked 106 has had a better season than someone else kicking 75 in a different season when no other player kicked more?

Why is it absurd? The Coleman medal is like the Brownlow medal for a Forward, it's the highest individual award in terms of goal kicking for a forward. It's a bit like in cricket.....you'd take two centuries over someone who couldn't make a century.

Well to borrow a cricket analogy, Matthew Hayden top scored in the third test in India in 2001.

Rahul Dravid didn’t in the match that preceded it - in fact he scored less than Hayden did in his innings. Pretty sure we all recall who played probably the better innings, even allowing for how well Hayden played.

Maybe he is "marked harshly" because out of the "Big 4 Key Position Forwards" of the past 15 odd years, he has won one Coleman medal - Franklin (4), Jack Riewoldt (3) and Josh Kennedy (2) all won multiple Coleman medals.

If a player wins multiple Coleman medals, then their standing in the game at the end of their career will be high.
That’s a very simplistic way to view things, I don’t claim to know exactly how many overall, but I know in at least 2012, 2014, 2021 & 2022 he was top 3 in the Coleman, and in 3 of them years he received AA honours because he was seen to have been the best overall forward of them seasons.

Will also add to this he is also second all time for goal assists... Which id predominantly midfielders or a few smallish forwards.

So 13th all time for goals kicked, no2 dor all time contested marks, and no2 all time for goal assists..

Freak of a career
And I don't think that's giving him all he's contributed either. A number of times he has literally palmed or knocked a long ball in (so while wrestling one or maybe two opponents) to a team mate for an absolute gimmie. He's created a lot that weren't from a genuine disposal and or his body work. Wayne Carey has always been good at recognising this and how he has great impact even when not kicking them himself.

Glad you see the nuances - Thats why I didn't include the ‘non keys’…except for Matthews…it’s too hard.

Stats to reflect Tommy's 351st game. Tonight against the Bulldogs, he was goalless for the 51st time in his career. More often than not he is consistent in terms of his output of goals.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240406_200843_Sheets.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240406_200843_Sheets.jpg
    350.3 KB · Views: 10
Stats to reflect Tommy's 351st game. Tonight against the Bulldogs, he was goalless for the 51st time in his career. More often than not he is consistent in terms of his output of goals.
It happens - not going to pretend it’s anything to judge him by.

53rd time in his career that Tom Hawkins has gone goalless and the first time since 2019 that he has gone goalless 3 games in a row.

Is Tom carrying an injury?? Some sort of niggle?

53rd time in his career that Tom Hawkins has gone goalless and the first time since 2019 that he has gone goalless 3 games in a row.

Is Tom carrying an injury?? Some sort of niggle?
He really does not look right at the moment.

It's hard to say whether he's carrying something or if it's just a case of father time catching up to him.

But if it carries on much longer it would present Neale as an option, even if it is to refresh Hawkins so that he can come back in with a bit more vigour.

He really does not look right at the moment.

It's hard to say whether he's carrying something or if it's just a case of father time catching up to him.

But if it carries on much longer it would present Neale as an option, even if it is to refresh Hawkins so that he can come back in with a bit more vigour.

Maybe old age catching up? Happens to all players and it can't be avoided. Maybe he does have a niggle but we won't ever know.

I know a lot people on this forum joke that he can play on for another few more years but maybe 2024 will be his final year? Who knows?...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Maybe old age catching up? Happens to all players and it can't be avoided. Maybe he does have a niggle but we won't ever know.

I know a lot people on this forum joke that he can play on for another few more years but maybe 2024 will be his final year? Who knows?...
I'd say this will almost certainly be his last season.

He will just be a bit up and down in this last stretch, like Riewoldt at the end. But I'll give him another half a dozen games before I say he's of minimal use this season.

I think there's a few things here. He's not the top target in the forwardline anymore, but it's a bit tricky to say precisely who is. Any of Hawkins, Henry, Cameron or Stengle could end up winning our goalkicking. Henry's doing an awesome job this year, bobbing up for his 2-3 even in quiet weeks. Fortunately Hawkins has never been one to really give a continental about how many goals he kicks personally.

I think he's quite rare in key forwards of his era, in that it's conceivable he could still play well and finish a game with 0-1 goals (today wasn't one of those occasions).Just with his forward 50 ruckwork, bringing others into the game, his field kicking, the fact that he still automatically commands the Liam Joneses and Jacob Weiterings of the game.

But I'm not going to lie, it looks like he's at the aging Josh Kennedy stage of his career, where he might get to 35 goals, but it will be with five bags of 4+ and a stack of 0-1 goal outings.

If anything he was a great decoy today, forced Carlton to use Weitering on him (who gave him a bath) but freed up Cameron and Henry. Not sure he has much more left in the tank though old Tomahawk, the impact has certainly started to fade

I'd say this will almost certainly be his last season.

He will just be a bit up and down in this last stretch, like Riewoldt at the end. But I'll give him another half a dozen games before I say he's of minimal use this season.

Yeah old age caught up to Riewoldt. I think the plan with Riewoldt in his final season (2023) was to not play every week and have breaks every few games. But when Tom Lynch went down due to injury, Riewoldt found himself playing most games, he played 21 games, was banged up in the end.

But what Riewoldt also did was provide a voice of stability and provide leadership on the field especially in the forward line.....boy the Tigers could do with his leadership up forward right now.

Riewoldt still did kick 32 goals in his final season and won the goal kicking so his output was not too bad.

I reckon Tom Hawkins is also providing a voice of stability and providing leadership up forward (like Riewoldt) which is very valuable for the younger players.

Older players know that their output is diminishing so they become a mentor and take on a leadership role which is good I reckon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back