Mega Thread Tony Abbott

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've met Abbott a few times in a non-political setting
Colour me surprised.
The memory of 2007 will keep Abbott in check.
Whoa, that I did not expect from you.

Firstly, Howard wasn't booted merely because of WorkChoices. He was turfed because the ALP finally put up a (then-)credible candidate, interest rate started going up after the Libs had spent years campaigning on low interest rates, an entire generation of voters had just been sucked in by An Inconvenient Truth, he had had four terms in office, and of course there was the WorkChoices factor.

Secondly, Abbott will expect to get two terms minimum. Even the ALP did after the disaster that was their first term and a News hatchet job on Gillard and a leaking Rudd camp. I accept the notion that AusPol is now more volatile than it once was, but Abbott and his crew can and will expect two terms minimum. 2007 is not an issue in his first term.

Abbott waits until after the advertising blackout and under 48 hours from the election to rrelease any costings, and even then refused to have key policies costed at all by the PBO.

But I thought he was such an honest, trustworthy and transparent good guy?

Abbott waits until after the advertising blackout and under 48 hours from the election to rrelease any costings, and even then refused to have key policies costed at all by the PBO.

But I thought he was such an honest, trustworthy and transparent good guy?

I'm not saying it's right, but all parties do this. At the 2010 election, Labor released their costings at 5PM on the Friday before the election.

You've also got to remember that it makes no sense to release costed policies until all the policies have been announced. The policies get released over the course of the campaign and then, when the last one is released (which was yesterday), the costings then come out.

Who really cares anyway? Do you think any voter is going to go through a foot high stack of paperwork analysing every costing?

The sheet that was released to the media was simple and easy to understand

costings_thumb.jpg

Firstly, Howard wasn't booted merely because of WorkChoices. He was turfed because the ALP finally put up a (then-)credible candidate, interest rate started going up after the Libs had spent years campaigning on low interest rates, an entire generation of voters had just been sucked in by An Inconvenient Truth, he had had four terms in office, and of course there was the WorkChoices factor.

What I was getting at is that despite the view that Abbott will run around like a kid in a toy store if he got control of both houses, what happened back in 2007, and indeed his campaign against the carbon tax, will restrict what he does.

There won't be a snap GST increase, for instance.

I detest Abbott and wouldn't be particularly upset if he were gunned down tomorrow but I don't see anything wrong with that clip. It was for Big Brother ffs. He wasn't addressing the US Senate or a visiting gaggle of diplomats. And it is clearly true that his daughters 'aren't bad-looking'. And if the peanuts who populate the Big Brother house are as clueless as they were back when I watched the show ten years ago, that is probably the best pitch Abbott could make to win their votes.

Well, I just checked out the whole program on Wednesday night - http://www.bigbrother.com.au/video/full-episodes/

You find the political messages around the 24 minute mark.

Should we be surprised to discover that the full clip is completely innocuous; in context, the "not bad looking" line is perfectly inoffensive and the Big Brother residents are NOT creeped out at all???

Just another example of the lies and mendacity of the Left in this campaign, and also the increasingly crazed effect of Abbott derangement.

Interesting op ed on the subject by Sam de Brito in the Age today:

I'll tell you what's creepy: journalists and media taking an everyday comment from the probable next leader of our country about his daughters being "not bad-looking" and sexualising it like a pack of sticky schoolkids who can't watch a deodorant ad without sfellowing.

There are many subjects upon which I do not agree with Tony Abbott but his decision this week to appeal to Big Brother's household of twenty-something fame whores while standing beside his daughters wasn't a bad one.

Did we really expect a policy pitch in 24 seconds? Why not try to manufacture some semblance of empathy with young Australians by showing he also lives and regularly talks with other young Australians - his children?

Yet a father saying his daughters were "not bad-looking" was immediately translated as ''vote for me because my daughters are hot" by one reporter. Even more vile was the characterisation by another writer, for an esteemed masthead, likening the appearance as a "man flanked with babes like an oily ganglord entering a nightclub".
<iframe id="dcAd-1-4" src="http://ad-apac.doubleclick.net/N641...iars;pos=3;sz=300x250;tile=4;ord=3.6721013E7?" width='300' height='250' scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" allowtransparency="true" frameborder="0"> </iframe>
Politicians have long decided it's acceptable to put words into people's mouths, invent motivations for others and just plain make up stuff when they feel like it. But we're truly lost if this has become the accepted method of operation for our media.
Words, as we're constantly reminded by Abbott's critics, matter. "Not bad-looking" has no sexual connotations, particularly when said by a father, while "hot", a word never uttered by Abbott, implies sexual arousal in the observer.

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/executive-style/culture/blogs/all-men-are-liars/abbott-the-father-deserves-more-respect-20130905-2t6k0.html#ixzz2e466dKJg

Luvvie Labor/Left journos engageing in invention, fabrication and lies.
And as de Brito points out, the whole meme is moving to the accusation of incest:

The innuendo the comment was somehow, vaguely incestuous - and let's not kid ourselves this wasn't one of the snide implications of this piece - should be met with contempt and illustrates the lengths so many sulking reporters will go to to tarnish a politician they do not agree with.

That link re incest goes to - surprise, surprise - Guardian Australia. So charming.

I dont see labour ever being elected again, the level of scrutiny on abbott has been non existent.

Abbotts teams performance since the advertising blackout has been abysmal and is probably a taste of the chaos to come.

Dont say you werent warned

The best alternative now seems to be the clive palmer party, who has the balls to take on murdoch

Just to quote dan26:

Abbott will be successful because the expectation is so low

One day well wake up and realise we deserve better, and i dont mean such as Rudd either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One day we'll wake up and realise what a failure it is on our democracy's part that we didn't deserve Julia Gillard.

Whatever, putting bias aside its clear the bar is getting lower and lower, I can tell that when im thinking Clive Palmer might be the answer

"I read the policy last night, quickly it has to be said, and I thought it was a reference to the ability of people to get PC-based filter that’s what I thought it was,” Abbott said.

"There was a badly worded sentence or two in the document that went out or earlier today. In this particular instance, there was a failure of quality of control."

So the man who would be Prime Minister of this country skimmed this important policy document for the first time, only days before the election, and then signed off on it while either failing to spot a giant mistake or simply failing to understand it. Once again, he's either not telling the truth or not very good at his job.

Read more: http://www.watoday.com.au/digital-life/computers/blogs/gadgets-on-the-go/coalition-filtering-swindle-abbott-and-turnbull-play-us-for-fools-20130905-2t8fx.html#ixzz2e4wqD07M

Cut him some slack yibbida,

This is the man who went public on his long lost illigitimate adopted son without even basic checks.

Turned out to be totally false

If you can get that wrong, you can get anything wrong, think about it, would you check ?

I really don't understand the labor fanbois posting.

they are attacking the opposition leader for apparently not being good at his job, when they have a leader that was labelled by his own party, as not very good at his job?

We all understand that Abbott isn't the best, but he appears to be simply not as bad a Rudd/Gillard

Let's be honest Rudd & Labor deserve to be tossed out of that i have no doubt just it's unfortunate that the benefactor of that happening just happens to be a party led by a man who has proven to me on numerous occasions to be a false person who changes tack whenever it suits his political needs, not to forget the guy acts like an idiot whenever the church bells ring louder than usual.

We shall see what the future holds for us in the next year or so.

I really don't understand the labor fanbois posting.

they are attacking the opposition leader for apparently not being good at his job, when they have a leader that was labelled by his own party, as not very good at his job?

We all understand that Abbott isn't the best, but he appears to be simply not as bad a Rudd/Gillard

Speaking of fanbois... Hi Cap!

Can you set me up with references with who the 'labor' fanbois are, and what the definition of "good at 'his' job" is?
Actually, what is the 'job'? Is it running the Country? Helping Australia? Or just becoming PM?

Abbott and Rudd are both fantastic at mindless voting.
Rudd is fantastic at becoming PM no matter the cost, how many people have been better at leaking and bullshitting to get the position? Please show me where these fanbois have praised his work!?

Also, your signature is very impressive! ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back