Opinion Top 50

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no shame in being the second best player in the competition. Jeremy Cameron is clearly the best and in my opinion Oliver is number 2. I think a lot of the critiques when he was younger - I e he doesn't kick and is one dimensional - no longer apply. He is a superstar

Your claims are incorrect.

Oliver averages 15.66 contested possessions per match. Hocking only averaged 22 disposals for his career.

Voss only averaged 21.

There's no way any of the players you've named averaged more or as many as Oliver. Even Dangerfield is only 13 odd, which is still very elite.

For some reason you don't rate Oliver, which is fine and I completely disagree with your view, but your guesswork is very wide of the mark.
There's no way that Greg ****en Williams averaged more than Oliver? No way?

The guy had 38 possessions in his first game as a clearance mid.

After missing most of his first season with a knee injury he won the MVP award in his second year. He won the Brownlow in his third.

Williams was the GOAT inside mid. As good as Oliver may be, comparing him to Greg is nonsense.

After missing most of his first season with a knee injury he won the MVP award in his second year. He won the Brownlow in his third.

Williams was the GOAT inside mid. As good as Oliver may be, comparing him to Greg is nonsense.
I didn't compare him to Oliver. But I don't believe he averaged more contested possessions.

Players won less of the ball in those days, which is why Williams only averaged 26 disposals.

Last edited:
100%. Also Gawn's dominance makes their mids look better than they actually are. Give Oliver Rhys Stanley and he'd still be good but not as consistent due to inconsistent supply.
Oliver won his first b&f in 17 when Gawn pretty much didn't play all year.

Should have been AA that year too

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

I'm sorry but Oliver has earned the right to be compared to anyone in the game. Past or present. His contested ball/clearance numbers are better than anyone in history at the same age.

Nick Daicos says Hi, rapidly rising up the ranks.

By seasons end I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the best player in the game.

I didn't compare him to Oliver. But I don't believe he average more contested possessions.

Players won less of the ball in those days, which is why Williams only averaged 26 disposals.
"Only averaged 26 disposals"

Which is the current AFL record for the highest average disposal of any player in the history of the game with a completed career.

Pendles averages 26 I think
Yes.

Greg's was 26.88.

There are eight current players with a higher career average than Greg. I think a few of them will top Greg when it's over .. certainly Tom Mitchell. Probably Matt Crouch who's career looks like it could be over soon. The rest will drop down in their career twilight like Greg did when he was playing as a small forward in the last few years.

The current keepings off style of footy has resulted in higher disposal numbers across the board.

"Only averaged 26 disposals"

Which is the current AFL record for the highest average disposal of any player in the history of the game with a completed career.
It's 10-15% below what a few mids of today will finish with due to changes in the game.

To just surpass Oliver's average CP Williams would need to have averaged almost 60% CP to disposals, which would be the highest in history.

It's possible, but far from certain or even likely.

You paint it as a formality.

Nick Daicos says Hi, rapidly rising up the ranks.

By seasons end I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s the best player in the game.
Odd one to rank. In a trash team he'd be nowhere near as effective as he wouldn't have teammates with the same ability to get into space and feed him the ball as the Pies do atm. He'd also probably be getting his ass handed to him every game, similar to what they did to Murphy in his prime for us when he was a shining light amongst a group of half-baked turkeys. Ended up catching up to his body and by the end of his career he could barely lift his shoulders above his head.

At Collingwood in their current iteration though he's undoubtedly an extraordinary player. As damaging by foot as I've ever seen from a youngster. Him and Gulden are two of the best 'icing on the cake' players to come through the draft in years. Put them in any team with some good players and some seasoned bodies around them and they will dominate for a decade.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Odd one to rank. In a trash team he'd be nowhere near as effective as he wouldn't have teammates with the same ability to get into space and feed him the ball as the Pies do atm. He'd also probably be getting his ass handed to him every game, similar to what they did to Murphy in his prime for us when he was a shining light amongst a group of half-baked turkeys. Ended up catching up to his body and by the end of his career he could barely lift his shoulders above his head.

At Collingwood in their current iteration though he's undoubtedly an extraordinary player. As damaging by foot as I've ever seen from a youngster. Him and Gulden are two of the best 'icing on the cake' players to come through the draft in years. Put them in any team with some good players and some seasoned bodies around them and they will dominate for a decade.
Why is saying Daicos maybe considered the best by seasons end “odd”? He is Collingwoods best player and although only Rd 2 they do look like they could potentially be the best team in it.

You obviously aren’t watching the same games I have been. Maybe it’s because you think Walsh is GOAT and this may be stemming some jealousy on your end.

Why is saying Daicos maybe considered the best by seasons end “odd”?

You obviously aren’t watching the same games I have been. Maybe it’s because you think Walsh is GOAT and this may be stemming some jealousy on your end.
I'm not saying that considering him the best by seasons is odd, I'm saying he's a difficult player to rank in terms of his standing in the game. Someone like Clarry or Petracca exist in their own bubble of excellence. Regardless of their teammates they'll always be phenomenal players as they can win contested ball at will and don't really rely on others to be effective. Someone who is purely an excellent distributor is limited by the players he's distributing to and the competence of their surrounding teammates. I remember Docherty before his ACL's suffered from this. IMO he was undoubtedly the best HBF in the comp at the time, but his disposals really didn't lead to a lot of success because he was kicking to Sam Kerridge's and Cam Oshea's up the field. Most of his disposals were from deep in the backline and he was mostly anchored to the defensive 50 because the ball was coming back in so fast that he couldn't afford to freewheel and roam like Daicos can atm. A similar thing applies for small forwards, how many are ever really considered the best players in the AFL despite being hugely influential when their teams are playing to their strengths?

And to say I care about that is laughable. Daicos is an out and out gun, he's not a remotely similar player to Walsh other than following in suit by being a gun player from day 1. I don't see any need to compare the two.

Thought I would have a crack and it’s a lot harder than I thought. I’m sure I’ve missed some and open to changes so let loose on me (never doubted).

1. Jeremy Cameron
  2. Marcus Bontempelli
  3. Lachie Neale
  4. Christian Petracca
  5. Tom Stewart
  6. Patrick Cripps
  7. Touk Miller
  8. Toby Greene
  9. Jack Steele
  10. Clayton Oliver
  11. Harry Mckay
  12. Zach Merrett
  13. Max Gawn
  14. Sam Walsh
  15. Andrew Brayshaw
  16. Callum Millls
  17. Tom Hawkins
  18. Connor Rozee
  19. Ollie Wines
  20. Jack McRae
  21. Tom Lynch
  22. Steven May
  23. Issac Heeney
  24. Charlie Curnow
  25. Shai Bolton
  26. Jack Crisp
  27. Patrick Dangerfield
  28. Travis Boak
  29. Darcy Moore
  30. Nat Fyfe
  31. Jeremy McGovern
  32. Nick Daicos
  33. Charlie Cameron
  34. Mitch Duncan
  35. Tom Barrass
  36. Luke Parker
  37. Hayden Young
  38. Tim English
  39. Dane Rampe
  40. Lachie Whitfield
  41. Noah Anderson
  42. Hugh Mcluggage
  43. Jordan Ridley
  44. Cam Guthrie
  45. Caleb Serong
  46. Zak Butters
  47. Aaron Naughton
  48. Darcy Parish
  49. Tom Mitchell
  50. Sean Darcy
Number 1

The way he is playing right now, Cameron's game is eerily similar to when Franklin made his move to Sydney. Roaming all over the ground and swinging around games off his own boot.

He's now averaging over 17 disposals, along with 3 goals per game.

He and Curnow could very well give 100 goals in a season a decent shake.

The way he is playing right now, Cameron's game is eerily similar to when Franklin made his move to Sydney. Roaming all over the ground and swinging around games off his own boot.

He's now averaging over 17 disposals, along with 3 goals per game.

He and Curnow could very well give 100 goals in a season a decent shake.
Need to go at closer to 5 goals a game to kick 100. Big difference.

But tbf Cameron legit no 1 contender without a doubt

Sent from my SM-S908E using Tapatalk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back