Opinion Your top 5 overated players

Remove this Banner Ad

Brad Sheppard was in the AA team as a defender in 2020. Your rationale suggests that he was/is an elite defender.
I would suggest that being selected in the AA team means that you have had at least one good year and caught the eye of a fairly dubious selection panel. I would also suggest that it doesn't automatically make you an elite footballer.
Disagree.
Is there a better, more OBJECTIVE metric for a players status as elite than AA selection? No.
I'll take the AA panels judgement over Bigfooty randoms any day.

If you play one season at an elite level then you were elite in that season weren't you. It doesn't matter if it's an outlier. It means for the NOW Wilkie should be rightfully considered one of the elite defenders in the comp.

Disagree.
Is there a better, more OBJECTIVE metric for a players status as elite than AA selection? No.
I'll take the AA panels judgement over Bigfooty randoms any day.

If you play one season at an elite level then you were elite in that season weren't you. It doesn't matter if it's an outlier. It means for the NOW Wilkie should be rightfully considered one of the elite defenders in the comp.
My apologies. I thought that we were on an opinion based Web site in a thread that asked opinions about who we thought was overrated.

I gave two examples from last season about Wilkie where he wasn't trusted to do the job by himself and when he was soundly beaten.

I guess that I will try and ensure that I (as a big footy random) dont have an opinion in a thread that you might be watching.

My apologies. I thought that we were on an opinion based Web site in a thread that asked opinions about who we thought was overrated.

I gave two examples from last season about Wilkie where he wasn't trusted to do the job by himself and when he was soundly beaten.

I guess that I will try and ensure that I (as a big footy random) dont have an opinion in a thread that you might be watching.
Mate you were right, one good season does not make you elite, to be elite you have to back it up season after season.

Why so offended?
I wasn't attacking you specifically or suggesting you shouldn't have an opinion.
Do you need to go to your safe space?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep my safe space where people don't believe that every AA selection (like Brad Sheppard) is not an elite footballer.
If AA selection isn't enough for you then go look at the stats.
Do you rate Weitering? Run a comparison between Wilkie and Weitering in 2023.
Notice anything?

If AA selection isn't enough for you then go look at the stats.
Do you rate Weitering? Run a comparison between Wilkie and Weitering in 2023.
Notice anything?
There has not been one mention of Weitering in any post on this subject. You must be clutching at straws to try and make your argument.

I'll repeat myself. I believe that Wilkie is overrated although a good player. I am not/have not compared him to any other player.

That is my opinion and I am comfortable with it.

There has not been one mention of Weitering in any post on this subject. You must be clutching at straws to try and make your argument.

I'll repeat myself. I believe that Wilkie is overrated although a good player. I am not/have not compared him to any other player.

That is my opinion and I am comfortable with it.

Yeah who needs stats or awards. No need to back anything up when you have "an opinion"👍.

So to recap:

Wilkie was rated the 2nd best player at a club which played finals. As a backman (not a mid).
And
Wilkie is rated as elite in most of his key stats for a backman across the year. He clearly outperforms one of the competitions widely recognised elite Key defenders in Weitering, as one example provided to you, which; you then completely fail to understand the relevancy of.
And then
Wilkie is acknowledged as one of the two best key defenders for the year by the AA selection panel.

But he wasn't elite in your opinion. Do you have any reasoning at all behind that opinion? Any stats that back it up?

Nick Daicos so overrated that opposition coaches specifically plan for him. Never seen a 2nd year player be such a concern for opposition coaches as we have just witnessed.

Would have won the AFLCA if not injured late in the season. Maybe coaches half half an idea how influential the kid is.

A match winner, leader, and a major reason why the Pies have played in a PF in 2022 and won a GF 2023 since he has been at the club.

Seems like he is being underrated here.

Nick Daicos so overrated that opposition coaches specifically plan for him. Never seen a 2nd year player be such a concern for opposition coaches as we have just witnessed.

Would have won the AFLCA if not injured late in the season. Maybe coaches half half an idea how influential the kid is.

A match winner, leader, and a major reason why the Pies have played in a PF in 2022 and won a GF 2023 since he has been at the club.

Seems like he is being underrated here.
Leader of what? He runs from physical contact and calls his bodyguard Bruzzy Maynard everytime anyone gets stuck into him. Very good player but he is far from what I'd call a leader

Leader of what? He runs from physical contact and calls his bodyguard Bruzzy Maynard everytime anyone gets stuck into him. Very good player but he is far from what I'd call a leader
Nah, reckon hes going to do not much else than be a top flight afl player for a long time.

2023 averages:

Disposals: Wlk 19.8; Weit 15.5
Marks; Wlk 8.6; Weit 8
Tackles: Wlk 2.1, Weit 0.9
Pressure acts: Wlk 7.1, Weit 4.3
Spoils: Wlk 4.8, Weit 5.8
Effective disposals: Wlk 16.7, Weit 12.2
Kicking efficiency: Wlk 82.7%, Weit 76.3%
Rebound 50's: Wlk 4.9, Weit 5
Intercept marks: Wlk 2.8, Weit 3.7.

As I said, It's clear Wilkie had the better stats overall if you don't cherry pick.

And I bet you rate Weitering as elite don't you.

You have literally cherry picked some irrelevant stats to make your point though 😂

Chad Warner
Josh Daicos
Connor Rozee
Tom Papley
Shai Bolton

Remove this Banner Ad

Back