Top ups: Did the AFL make the right call?

Was it the right call?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

If its granted every team will be putting in requests for top ups willy nilly. Adelaide didn't get a top up when Reilly cracked his skull. Sydney no top up for the Tippett suspension - Collingwood ditto with their 2 drug cheats. Final list lodgement is final.

Essendon is an extraordinary situation where topups are required to safety field a side. Its not difficult to comprehend surely.

You couldn't really be this dense, could you?

I think ten may have been a tad generous for Essendon. I think five would have been sufficient to field a team and then perhaps five supplementary players (essentially a second rookie list) in the unlikely event that they were in a position where they'd struggle to field a fit team.

With regards to the other clubs that were affected, I'm not saying that it would have been right or wrong, but could a factor have been that given how close we are to the season, we didn't have time for two or more clubs to be fighting over the signature of someone like Crowley and letting him do a Chris Judd-esque visitation tour? There's a season to get ready for. We're less than seven weeks out.

It's a bit rough on Port, but oh well. I hardly think letting the Power have a top up will make a massive difference to how the season plays out. The other teams were aware of the risks, or they should have been.

Haha your doing it so well the missing piece didn't even lead you to finals last year! Its not the top end of your list you need worry about when signing a back up ruck what are you on about?

Why didn't you delist Butcher or Paul Stewart or Kane Mitchell (rookie) and sign up Warnock or Giles or even J.Osborn?

You all keep saying Redden is cooked but he played the entire year out in the SANFL after a slow start due to injury. More likely the call was made he wasn't up to it.

Still room to overpay for Ryder and Dixon if you let a non essential fringe player go.....

Shocking list management and your CEO cant even comprehend the Cat B rookie situation that Essendon have which is making him look very foolish. Kochie has taken the crying and moaning to another level :cry::D

Stewart has another year to go on his contract. Mitchell dropped down to rookie list wages. Butcher signed for far, far less than he was on and is reasonable key position backup.

As I said, no problem. Just remember when we smash you that we did it without Ryder, Monfries and with Lobbe not having a back up. We might even play Snelling for all those SANFL fans in the crowd.

Stewart has another year to go on his contract. Mitchell dropped down to rookie list wages. Butcher signed for far, far less than he was on and is reasonable key position backup.

As I said, no problem. Just remember when we smash you that we did it without Ryder, Monfries and with Lobbe not having a back up. We might even play Snelling for all those SANFL fans in the crowd.
It sounds like you are furiously masturbating over a win that is yet to, and most probably wont happen.

I thought you might have learnt your lesson after you prematurely celebrated last years premiership but failed to make the finals :D

Of course they got it wrong. Port should of got one for Monfries. It's pretty obvious.

I won't be losing sleep over it though. Lobbe is still here.

Had a big lol at this...
Adelaide didn't get a top up when Reilly cracked his skull. Sydney no top up for the Tippett suspension - Collingwood ditto with their 2 drug cheats.

Keep it up champ :thumbsu: you're doing great.

Port should have been able to for Monfries. That's about it.

The 2016 Essendon side will be better than 2015 hands down

I'll be surprised if performs better than the 2015 team but cant see it happening.apart from Baguley I take one look at our back line and think gee whizz we are going to have some big scores kicked it's friggin VFL standard.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you mean from an opposition pov, essendon will perform better winning the spoon, then I think most would agree with you.

You do realise they basically have lost half of their team including their better players & replaced them with fringe or retired players...

It sounds like you are furiously masturbating over a win that is yet to, and most probably wont happen.

I thought you might have learnt your lesson after you prematurely celebrated last years premiership but failed to make the finals :D

Footy has that effect on you? Its a stretch to suggest it is normal for anyone else. Discuss it with your Mum.

We'll see I guess. Just because I think my team, playing at home in R1 against a side that finished in the lower reaches of the ladder, is going to beat your team that has to play a preliminary finalist away from home - a side that you smashed in the corresponding fixture last year - doesn't mean I'm 'furiously masturbating' over it.

I've changed my mind on this and agree with what they said on SEN the other day. Top ups aren't about giving Essendon any sort of advantage. They are about keeping the competition fair.

Nevermind those who didn't get top-ups. Imagine IF Essendon manage to snag a few wins. As an opposition supporter you'd be filthy, and rightly so. There would be nothing fair about that.

They don't, do they? Lost 12 players to suspension but they aren't getting 12 top ups.

The Bombers can also upgrade any of their five rookies during the upcoming season, as if one of their 12 suspended players was put on the long-term injury list.

So they get to upgrade 2 of their 5 rookies to fill the gap (because they went into the season with a 39 man list + 5 rookies). 10 top ups + 3 rookie elevations = full 40 man list, with 2 Cat A rookies left.

Port gets to upgrade 3 rookies (thanks to going in with a 39 man list at time of final list submission), with 2 of those elevations to replace suspended players. 3 rookie elevations = full 40 man list, with 2 Cat A rookies left.

So the upshot is - Port gets the same deal as Essendon, but without the opportunity to sign top-up players.

Last edited:
That's their own fault and now their own problem.

True. However Essendon can replace all the 12 players suspended from their list and will start the year with more players than Port.

So how come the club that caused the entire mess is getting more assistance than a club who didn't cause the mess?

That's where this doesn't add up.

The AFL just making more stupid decisions that when tested don't come up as being fair or equitable.

Port deserved 1 player for Monfries if the AFL are giving Essendon 10... I couldn't even care less about the Dees getting one & Port were royally shafted here!

Agree - Port should have been given access to the best non-AFL small forward in the country as a replacement for Monfries.

After all, it's all about them getting hoodwinked on Gussy, isn't it??

True. However Essendon can replace all the 12 players suspended from their list and will start the year with more players than Port.

So how come the club that caused the entire mess is getting more assistance than a club who didn't cause the mess?

That's where this doesn't add up.

The AFL just making more stupid decisions that when tested don't come up as being fair or equitable.

Not transparent either.

Back