List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

If it's a straight swap and the worst case scenario happens, it's 7 for pick 1 next year.

Or restated, a player who we clearly, at a minimum, rate in the top 5 for pick 1 next year who could be anything. Could be a generational player or it could be another average pick 1 like so many before.

But at this point there's no clear standout pick one next year, there's no Reid. It's going to likely be filled with Vic boys who have had their development stunted by Covid - another difficult draft to assess.

It's all just numbers and even if you really care about those sort of things, 7 isn't bad.

I want Curtin, I love the way he plays and I think he's exactly what we need. Send it!

No it doesn't. It says we will use our first round pick to trade with GWS. It says nothing about the full trade. It could be just our future first but in my experience with the HUN, they never fill in the other details. Such as "player ABC cost 2 x R1" but they never add to it "with 2 x R2 coming back".

So the Vic media have gone from "Eagles to use pick 1 on Curtin" to "Eagles not confident in taking Harley at 1" to "those greedy bastards over in the wild west thinking they can have their cake and eat it too". The article is typical HUN that is a headline grabber and incomplete.

There is a strong feeling that Curtin will slide and that clubs will do not know how or where to play him. I would say that the more the Eagles List Committee look at Curtin and do their due diligence, the more they want both him and Harley.

Why? I am in the opposite camp of dinnaz. I have been holding back for a week or so as his/her posts fly hard in the face of what I believe, what a number of WCE posters who I respect believe, what the general feeling on talent watchers on BF who go to games believe, and what my connections in Melbourne are believing, and what I am hearing from connections of at least 2 other clubs believe.

The last 2 times there has been this feeling of uncertainty like Curtin was with the Bont and Curnow as they were not sure whether they were oversized flankers or something else.

Curtin has played the CHB role where he just reads the play - similar to what Lever did in his U17 year (he was out with an ACL in his U18 year).
Curtin has played the distributor from defence role like Birchell because he reads the play and knows where to deliver it to and has very good D/E.
Curtin has played the lock down KPD at times and was probably only second behind Murphy in the players doing that role in U18.
Curtin has played the Bont extractor from midfield role.
Curtin has played the switch him forward like Weitering played.
I can go on.

The comparisons I come up with are that we do not know whether Curtin is a Birchell, a Lever, A Bont, a Weitering or a Curnow. And I have seen him play live in all bar the Port Ressies v Academy games which I managed to only watch on TV.

Curtin has played for 4 different teams this year - Claremont Colts, Claremont League, AFL Academy and WA U18. He captained the Colts to a flag. He won the WA MVP including playing on Walters and did a credible job considering the imbalance of the centre clearances and Allies inside 50's. He held his head in the 2 finals games for Claremont league. He played a variety of roles, was clearly carrying an injury by the end of the year and is up there in the talent statement for a very good reason. He is an excellent and high end footballer. And to top it off, he is mature, a leader and a brain on him that will make him captain material. He also lead the Scotch 1st 18 to success. In other words, good things normally happen in sides he is in.

I have no idea what the deal with GWS or Cats or Dees might be. What I do know is that he is a top end talent and we should be happy that the club is looking at the option very seriously.

Like CountryLad , Monocle , Eastcoasteagle and others have stated, this board went negative on Curtin because we did not want to lose Harley to gain Daniel. Well guess what ladies and gentlemen, the club is looking to get both to the club.

Now that should be making your partners very nervous for Monday night as if we get both, I think there will be a tightness in the trousers that might need relieving.
Soooooo, are you saying I should book Tuesday off work??

I think the Roos will take Curtin. Clarkson is seemingly a big fan and if they take McKercher (another mid, their already stacked) what are they going to do with their first rounder next year, when the top 6/7 are all mids? it makes a lot more sense for them to go Duursma + Curtin and then select an elite mid next year for the cherry on top.

No it doesn't. It says we will use our first round pick to trade with GWS. It says nothing about the full trade. It could be just our future first but in my experience with the HUN, they never fill in the other details. Such as "player ABC cost 2 x R1" but they never add to it "with 2 x R2 coming back".

So the Vic media have gone from "Eagles to use pick 1 on Curtin" to "Eagles not confident in taking Harley at 1" to "those greedy bastards over in the wild west thinking they can have their cake and eat it too". The article is typical HUN that is a headline grabber and incomplete.

There is a strong feeling that Curtin will slide and that clubs will do not know how or where to play him. I would say that the more the Eagles List Committee look at Curtin and do their due diligence, the more they want both him and Harley.

Why? I am in the opposite camp of dinnaz. I have been holding back for a week or so as his/her posts fly hard in the face of what I believe, what a number of WCE posters who I respect believe, what the general feeling on talent watchers on BF who go to games believe, and what my connections in Melbourne are believing, and what I am hearing from connections of at least 2 other clubs believe.

The last 2 times there has been this feeling of uncertainty like Curtin was with the Bont and Curnow as they were not sure whether they were oversized flankers or something else.

Curtin has played the CHB role where he just reads the play - similar to what Lever did in his U17 year (he was out with an ACL in his U18 year).
Curtin has played the distributor from defence role like Birchell because he reads the play and knows where to deliver it to and has very good D/E.
Curtin has played the lock down KPD at times and was probably only second behind Murphy in the players doing that role in U18.
Curtin has played the Bont extractor from midfield role.
Curtin has played the switch him forward like Weitering played.
I can go on.

The comparisons I come up with are that we do not know whether Curtin is a Birchell, a Lever, A Bont, a Weitering or a Curnow. And I have seen him play live in all bar the Port Ressies v Academy games which I managed to only watch on TV.

Curtin has played for 4 different teams this year - Claremont Colts, Claremont League, AFL Academy and WA U18. He captained the Colts to a flag. He won the WA MVP including playing on Walters and did a credible job considering the imbalance of the centre clearances and Allies inside 50's. He held his head in the 2 finals games for Claremont league. He played a variety of roles, was clearly carrying an injury by the end of the year and is up there in the talent statement for a very good reason. He is an excellent and high end footballer. And to top it off, he is mature, a leader and a brain on him that will make him captain material. He also lead the Scotch 1st 18 to success. In other words, good things normally happen in sides he is in.

I have no idea what the deal with GWS or Cats or Dees might be. What I do know is that he is a top end talent and we should be happy that the club is looking at the option very seriously.

Like CountryLad , Monocle , Eastcoasteagle and others have stated, this board went negative on Curtin because we did not want to lose Harley to gain Daniel. Well guess what ladies and gentlemen, the club is looking to get both to the club.

Now that should be making your partners very nervous for Monday night as if we get both, I think there will be a tightness in the trousers that might need relieving.
If we walk away with Reid and Curtin on Monday night I can't wait to speak to a few people here in Melbourne Tuesday. How sweet it will be.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Would Harley be able to wear an Eagles Polo to the draft?
Would be a good look, if it is locked we are drafting him of course 😉

I think the Roos will take Curtin. Clarkson is seemingly a big fan and if they take McKercher (another mid, their already stacked) what are they going to do with their first rounder next year, when the top 6/7 are all mids? it makes a lot more sense for them to go Duursma + Curtin and then select an elite mid next year for the cherry on top.

For us to reach out to Hawks and GWS - means we have intel and believe Curtin will be there at 7.

Man, I'd love another pick in the 20s

1. Ried
7. Curtin
23. Collard/Charlie Edwards
26. ZZ (assuming trading in the 20s)
37. Freijah/Moir

What a draft!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would make sense but its North.
Think they might be aiming for 21 midfielders and Larkey in the best 22. New revolutionary strategy.

I'm not taking Collard with 16. I'm taking another midfielder.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
Tholstrup is ranked at 16 and is the next highest rated local lad.

Doesn’t fill an immediate need but would bring some mongrel. Darling and Cripps are almost done so could bring something different into our future forward mix.

Last edited:
I doubt we do that Curtin deal.

Why would any team be telegraphing their drafting plans for the top of a crowded pool?
Because we need someone to tango with

We don’t have a pick 4-7 to get Curtin ourselves so we need to know who they are or aren’t looking at in order to know whether a deal is possible

Blues won’t do that and from all reports Adelaide are trying to use their 20 to move up…
Why wouldn't the Blue be interested?

The have 2 highly Camperale kids they need points for? They'll be banking on top 4 finish

They don't have a 3R but do have 3R4 (not worth much)

Clarkson is in WA for Collard.

For us to reach out to Hawks and GWS - means we have intel and believe Curtin will be there at 7.

Man, I'd love another pick in the 20s

1. Ried
7. Curtin
23. Collard/Charlie Edwards
26. ZZ (assuming trading in the 20s)
37. Freijah/Moir

What a draft!

Would be close to perfect.

That would make sense but its North.
Think they might be aiming for 21 midfielders and Larkey in the best 22. New revolutionary strategy.
The problem is that some of those midfielders will request trades with their value reduced due to insufficient game time in their preferred positions.

A possible Melbourne version of the GWS/Goldcoast feeder status to bigger clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back