List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

Murphy, and it’s not a hard decision.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

ZZ for me new to the game, but has a amazing work effort.
He is already working really hard on his kicking doing extra work this of season
He is also the youngest player to be drafted this year
Has tremendous scope to improve once in the system
But he is another that will bust a gut to get better

It’d be nice to get 16, in exchange for 23, as part of the deal but I just can’t see it happening

If we want Curtin bad enough it’ll cost us our F1 and if I was GWS pick 7 is all I’m giving up
Who says GWS dont want to trade out of the draft and into next years as a objective? If they want in to next years draft badly then GWS dont hold the leverage you are saying they do

Since June, all McCartneys talked about is trading the picks away so maybe their is some logic in that he simply wants to give them up

For the draft watchers, are you comfortable giving up Pick 1 for Curtin at 7?

Sid Drapper, Jagga Smith, Josh Smillie

Looking at you Monocle, AsterixTheGaul
Yes - assuming it is Curtin

I’d hope to get something back but it will be competitive with clubs trying to get inside 10

That will round out 3 years hard at the draft and there would be a strong core coming through

I would also be fine holding next year’s R1

Best I can see would be 7 and 16 for future 1 and 23

It may just be 7 for F1

I'm really struggling with the F1 thing.

There seems to be about zero people on this board who would do the Melbourne trade this year (1 for 6, 11, F1). So why is effectively 1/2 and 23 for 7 and 16 so appealing?

Just seems deeply short sighted.

Finishing last or near it and not getting a pick till 30 or something after all the bids is going to feel real bad

We can’t be the only side thinking about Moir even as a late pick (or our last selection).

What if it was only that he felt it was important to get on the park and tried to keep playing through what can be an overuse hip injury that required a longer period of initial rest / build back up to full use during top age year - which is very demanding even if not injured.

Could effectively be a top 10 prospect that has drifted so far based on performance that was actually a far way off his true physical capabilities and would hamper running, power, agility and kicking range.

It’s really interesting because if his attitude is good maybe a decent work ethic has actually been his undoing this year by trying in vain to play out the year.

I want him on the list based on his underage year to be honest, it can’t be swallowed up in a year obviously hampered by a painful injury that can take up to a year to come good in the worst cases

AFL Draft 2023: The latest news and whispers from South Australia as the Crows eye possible Daniel Curtin play​

West Coast isn’t the only club to table an offer to GWS for pick 7, and potentially WA star Daniel Curtin, with the Crows eyeing a bold draft night play – and the Giants are listening.

Adelaide could make a bold play to land a Western Australian widely regarded as the best defender in this year’s draft pool.
The Crows have been in talks to trade up for pick 7, held by GWS, and some rival clubs believe they are likely trying to do so with the intent of taking Daniel Curtin.

Curtin, a 197cm All-Australian centre half-back who also impressed as a midfielder this year, was tipped to be available at the Giants’ selection on night one of the draft on Monday.

The 18-year-old was previously considered a top-five prospect.

Adelaide, which holds picks 10, 14 and 20, is keen to climb the order but has conceded getting one of the first six selections is unlikely.

GWS may decide to keep No. 7 or trade it to West Coast.

The Eagles have put their 2024 first-round selection on the table and are believed to have local Curtin in their sights.

Trading with West Coast will tempt the Giants, given the Eagles are coming off a wooden spoon and the pick up for grabs may be No. 1 next year.

But GWS is debating whether to lose an early selection for the unknown of what will happen in 2024 because Adam Kingsley’s side is in the premiership window.

Sliding back several spots in a trade with Adelaide might become the Giants’ preferred live trading option because it could ensure they still got the player they wanted.

So GWS is essentially deciding between drafting Curtin themselves or trading down the order for what it considers the best deal.

Curtin ticks plenty of boxes for Adelaide, which is light on for top-end key defensive talent and taller midfielders.

The Crows’ on-ball unit could use more size, even after shifting 191cm captain Jordan Dawson into the engine room last season.

Curtin is six centimetres taller than Dawson, has five on Western Bulldogs superstar Marcus Bontempelli and two on Carlton skipper Patrick Cripps.

He is agile for his size, boasts a nice sidestep in traffic, a neat kick, composure with the ball and his intercept marking is a strength.

The left-footer played as a midfielder in WA’s 28-point win over SA at Perth Stadium in June, registering 26 disposals, 13 contested possessions, six clearances, seven score involvements and seven tackles.

Curtin returned to defence the next championships match, before going on-ball again in his state’s final game against Vic Metro (27 disposals, 11 contested possessions, eight clearances, five score involvements, seven tackles).

He was Claremont’s colts’ premiership captain and played six times for the club’s seniors.

Curtin would be expected to start his AFL career as a key defender

If the Crows did secure pick 7, they could instead snaffle another 197cm backman, Murray Bushrangers’ Connor O’Sullivan.

Adelaide has been linked with him but Essendon, which holds No. 9, is also believed to be interested so jumping ahead of the Bombers will allow the Crows to pounce.

Geelong (pick 8) and Essendon are said to be less likely to trade back than the Giants.

Tasmanian swingman James Leake, who is 187cm and has played mostly in defence, is considered a likely target for the Giants and a candidate for Adelaide if it keeps pick 10.

South Australian ruckman Taylor Goad is firming for the Crows, who are among several clubs interested in the first round.

As for Port Adelaide, it is understood to have had a longstanding liking of Sandringham Dragons medium defender Matt Carroll and may consider small forwards Lachie Charleson (Greater Western Victoria Rebels) or Loch Rawlinson (Sturt).

But just who will be available at the Power’s first selection is difficult to predict.

Carlton has been linked with Carroll with its early picks.

Port has No. 69, 83 and 87 as it stands, but will move up, likely into the 50s, once academy and father-son bids absorb other selections.

It is expected to be a lean year for the SANFL, which may have only a handful of players selected in the national draft.

The draft’s first round will be held on Monday night and the rest on Tuesday evening.

Pre-season and rookie picks are on Wednesday.

If Twomey has an indication that Murphy and Zakostelsky are both going to be available at our second pick, surely that makes it less likely we trade for Curtin. Why use F1 when you can use 29?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Arguably Murphy is the better choice for a lock down defender anyway.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There seems to be about zero people on this board who would do the Melbourne trade this year (1 for 6, 11, F1). So why is effectively 1/2 and 23 for 7 and 16 so appealing?

Finishing last or near it and not getting a pick till 30 or something after all the bids is going to feel real bad

Because there's no Harley Reid next year?

If we do have another terrible year, our 2025 F1 will be just as highly rated and could be used to get back into next year's first round if there's someone we become really keen on

Curtin sliding past Melbourne and GWS makes some sense GWS have a really good backline and it’s young. Melbourne might be more enticed to win now players given their premiership window so a developing KPP might not be as appealing.

No chance Geelong give up that selection if he slides there

Well... because we want Reid.

I'm not overly enthused by who Twomey has linked us to in the later picks. I'm hoping his mail has been addressed to the wrong recipient as I can't see the interest in De La Rue, Charleson or O'Leary but I do like the Clay Hall and ZZ interest.

I'd like to see us take Hine-Baston as a Cat B as I think he'd develop to be an ideal Tom Cole replacement down the track.

Happy to take Reid as he's clearly the best available but 2, 15, 17 and 18 would have set us on the road to a faster rebuild.

Simpson will likely be gone come next draft and we'd have a new coach by then too, give the new bloke an ample hand to work with.

Trading our future first seems a desperate move for mine. Keep the pick and see what's on offer next year.

Add Reid & Curtin (using FF) this year and I think we have nice little core of good young players.

Go hard at free agents English and Zuharr to dull the pain of shitty 2024 draft.

Top up with a 1-6 draft pick in 2025 and Sam Taylor (Logan can be be his biartch).

Then prepare to hear we are "Flying High" with monotonous regularity, whilst Freo adopts as its new theme song in 2027, Rebuilding My Ruins by Kalley.

"You're rebuilding my ruins one by one, one by one".
Who is this Sam Taylor of which you speak? Not the GWS captain in waiting, I'm guessing ;)

I assume Sam Taylor would like a big bag of money too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back