List Mgmt. Trade & Draft Discussion 2023 post season - Picks Reid,30,40,49,66 (Bush league)

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Eagles fans!

The embedded resources below are kept up to date by the trade board mods (as much as possible – we are human after all). Enjoy!

Keys you may like to sticky this post & move it to the start of the thread (so the sticky post doesn't rotate if a post is deleted before it), or copy it to your draft thread if you have one.

As I wrote earlier, the last paragraph contradicts the rubbish written before it.

“Elsewhere, Hawthorn are expected to pick small forward Nick Watson, Western Bulldogs are linked to Ryley Sanders, Melbourne have honed in on Caleb Windsor and Zane Duursma is expected to go to North Melbourne.”

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

The problem with that is the unlikely chance that Gold Coast refuse to match the bid.

Oops.
There's absolutely no chance they don't match....it's not like they've got a high pick they can take another player with, they will literally lose access to a top 2-3 player in the draft with no other way to take someone of the same quality unless they match

There's absolutely no chance they don't match....it's not like they've got a high pick they can take another player with, they will literally lose access to a top 2-3 player in the draft with no other way to take someone of the same quality unless they match

Fair point, but would it be worth burning that bridge?

Sure if he was projected to be pick 5, but he legitimately could be the best player in this draft and GC get enough free gifts as it is. Make them pay his worth
No, we want Reid 1. I dare say we would even if Walter was available. There's no reason to bid on Walter instead of purely being vindictive.

I had plans for this afternoon, but I think I can move around a few things now so I can find the time to also punch Oliver Caffrey

“Coming off five wins across the past two seasons, West Coast have finally realised they need to rebuild their list with young talent.”

What a ******* peanut

10/9/04 - Rueben Ginbey
9/9/04 - Coby Burgiel
6/9/04 - Ryan Maric
23/8/04 - Noah Long
27/5/04 - Elijah Hewett
10/5/04 - Jordyn Baker
27/3/04 - Tyrell Dewar
22/1/04 - Harry Barnett
1/12/03 - Jack Williams
17/10/03 - Rhett Bazzo
27/4/03 - Campbell Chesser
5/3/03 - Brady Hough
24/2/03 - Jai Culley

A total of 13 players brought in from the 2021 draft onwards which was the first year we’d missed finals since 2014 and it became obvious the premiership window had closed

The media need to finally realise we’ve been rebuilding for 2-3 years after we (unsuccessfully) rolled the dice for another flag with the Kelly trade at the end of 2019

Over the next 3 days we’ll add 5-6 new teenagers meaning up to 19 of our list (43%) will be 20 or under at the start of 2024

Brockman, LEdwards and Trew will all be 21 - so half our list will be 21 or less

Would you bid on Walter first?

Nope ......... sort of a big download-18.jpg you to the Victorian media, with a message.

We got our man, despite all the medias lowball gutter crawling crapola.

Great Clubs back themselves and let me be very clear, we are a GREAT Club. 🏆🏆🏆🏆

(Log in to remove this ad.)

“Coming off five wins across the past two seasons, West Coast have finally realised they need to rebuild their list with young talent.”

What a ******* peanut

10/9/04 - Rueben Ginbey
9/9/04 - Coby Burgiel
6/9/04 - Ryan Maric
23/8/04 - Noah Long
27/5/04 - Elijah Hewett
10/5/04 - Jordyn Baker
27/3/04 - Tyrell Dewar
22/1/04 - Harry Barnett
1/12/03 - Jack Williams
17/10/03 - Rhett Bazzo
5/3/03 - Brady Hough
24/2/03 - Jai Culley

A total of 13 players brought in from the 2021 draft onwards which was the first year we’d missed finals since 2014 and it became obvious the premiership window had closed

The media need to finally realise we’ve been rebuilding for 2-3 years after we (unsuccessfully) rolled the dice for another flag with the Kelly trade at the end of 2019

Over the next 3 days we’ll add 5-6 new teenagers meaning up to 19 of our list (43%) will be 20 or under at the start of 2024

Brockman, LEdwards and Trew will all be 21 - so half our list will be 21 or less
Are there any clubs who have turned over significantly less than 13 players between all drafts (national, rookie and mid season as you have listed)? Is the competition average like 8 or 9 players of turnover over that period and therefore we are an outlier at 13? I doubt it. I think most clubs would be at the same level of turnover as we have had and as you have listed. Simply using your draft picks and having an average turnover on your list is not evidence of a rebuild or a club that has been in a rebuild mindset. We are not topping up but nor have we been consciously rebuilding.

Lets not rewrite history here. The turnover level is nothing out of the ordinary. The club expected to make finals last year and refused to use the word "rebuild" until half way through last season. And they have point blank refused to consider trading any experienced players out for draft picks. I think that is stretching it to say they have been diligently rebuilding since 2021. They made huge miscalculations and thought they didn't need to rebuild, and we should recognise that reality for what it is.

Reid is the better player atm. Picking the tall forward at pick 1 over the midfielder in the last 20 years has come unstuck.
Don't get me wrong, I'm keen on Reid myself.
I just don't get the angst and hand wringing over bidding on Walter.
I mean at what point does it become not be campaignery for someone to bid on him. 2? 5? 10?

Don't get me wrong, I'm keen on Reid myself.
I just don't get the angst and hand wringing over bidding on Walter.
I mean at what point does it become not be campaignery for someone to bid on him. 2? 5? 10?
My rating of Reid above Walter is only relevant if Gold Coast don't match our bid at pick 1 as I think we're then getting the lesser player. But that's not going to happen.
I suppose if you believed that North are not going to bid on Walter then we could see Walter slide to pick 4 which really let's Gold Coast off the hook.

What a ******* peanut

10/9/04 - Rueben Ginbey
9/9/04 - Coby Burgiel
6/9/04 - Ryan Maric
23/8/04 - Noah Long
27/5/04 - Elijah Hewett
10/5/04 - Jordyn Baker
27/3/04 - Tyrell Dewar
22/1/04 - Harry Barnett
1/12/03 - Jack Williams
17/10/03 - Rhett Bazzo
5/3/03 - Brady Hough
24/2/03 - Jai Culley

To build on this the only other players we brought in over the same time were :

• Petrevski-Seton (then 23) in a 2021 trade for pick 52
• Clark (then 24) with pick 62 in the 2021 draft
• Hunt (then 27) as a FA in 2022
• Flynn (26) as a FA this year
• Brockman (21) in a trade this year using picks 44 and 63

So a handful of players in their mid 20’s via FA or late picks

Only an idiot would think we haven’t been prioritising youth but it seems stupidity is a prerequisite these days at the West

Nope ......... sort of a bigView attachment 1855869 you to the Victorian media, with a message.

We got our man, despite all the medias lowball gutter crawling crapola.

Great Clubs back themselves and let me be very clear, we are a GREAT Club. 🏆🏆🏆🏆

Its not that serious, is it?

Walter if in open draft would seriously have us contemplating who we take at 1. If the draft/academy thing is to be fair as much as it can be, then we should be bid on him.

On the other hand, I can see the reasoning behind not giving a * and just take reid.

Separately doesnt anyone have the time the Draft starts tomorrow on fox? TIA

Last edited:
Are there any clubs who have turned over significantly less than 13 players between all drafts (national, rookie and mid season as you have listed)? Is the competition average like 8 or 9 players of turnover over that period and therefore we are an outlier at 13? I doubt it. I think most clubs would be at the same level of turnover as we have had and as you have listed. Simply using your draft picks and having an average turnover on your list is not evidence of a rebuild or a club that has been in a rebuild mindset. We are not topping up but nor have we been consciously rebuilding.

Lets not rewrite history here. The turnover level is nothing out of the ordinary. The club expected to make finals last year and refused to use the word "rebuild" until half way through last season. And they have point blank refused to consider trading any experienced players out for draft picks. I think that is stretching it to say they have been diligently rebuilding since 2021. They made huge miscalculations and thought they didn't need to rebuild, and we should recognise that reality for what it is.

I’m not going through 17 club lists to calculate player turnover over the last 2-3 years, however ….

There were a total of 65 draft selections in 2021 so ~3.5 selections on average per club. We used 5

In the 2022 draft that number dropped to 59 or ~3.3 selections on average per club. Again we used 5

The expectation this draft is for 55-60 selections total so again an average of just over 3 per club. We will be using a minimum of 4, maybe 5

That’s three years in a row where we’ve taken a higher than average number of picks across the competition. In 2019 and 2020 we made just 2 selections in each of those years so there was a shift in philosophy

It should also be noted that unlike some other clubs our retention rate of players is high - off the top of my head Tom Hickey at the end of 2020 was the last player we traded out

Yes we could have encouraged some players to leave to bring in extra draft capital but clubs simply can’t trade players without their agreement.

The list is in transition and it started two years ago. It still has a couple of years to go as the likes of Gaff, Yeo, Darling, McGovern and Cripps go out to pasture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back